Rear wheel well plugs

I was able to have my lab technician scan the plug to create an .STL file, which is the common 3D file used in stereolithography manufacturing. I asked my local dental lab that has a 3D printer try it and this is what they came up with.
Printed plugs 02.JPG Printed plugs 01.JPG

I think it is very cool. Two issues are that there is some finishing where all of the supports attached and he is charging me $25 each. That is just too much for something like this. I am just going to order some more of the material that I used for the first couple of batches of plugs to finish out the few more that folks have paid me for. If anyone out there knows a cheaper place to get them printed, let me know. Or if someone has their own 3D printer and wants the .STL file, just PM me and I will send you a link to it.

Could the scan file be sent to a molding/casting company that can use it to reproduce them in rubber? By already having the data, and doing a batch run it might be much less expensive.

Could the scan file be sent to a molding/casting company that can use it to reproduce them in rubber? By already having the data, and doing a batch run it might be much less expensive.
I’m sure someone can do it. I really don’t have a clue where to start looking or what a minimum run would be. I think the process these days is to print a 3D mold from the file, then injection mold the plug.

Two of the members that have utilized rubber to mold custom made products are Recardo B. and more recently Jovani. Take a look at their threads for the particulars. There have been others but these two come to mind off hand. Otherwise I fully understand your position.
You are right, DrJeff, I can make practically any part out of real highest quality urethane rubber or carbon fiber, just don't know what X owners are interested in. Bumpers were a challenge, but done and available now.20180118_103219.jpg

Jovani, can you do this....

Using the file Roger created?
Yes, if Roger prints a mold instead of the actual part and if of course he is willing to send it to me. Or if I make my own mold, but he is already trying to make and sell those plugs, I don't want to steal his business. I have actually good (better) idea how a simple 1 pc mold can be used. If you wish to discuss, call me 610 732 9306

Yes, if Roger prints a mold instead of the actual part and if of course he is willing to send it to me. Or if I make my own mold, but he is already trying to make and sell those plugs, I don't want to steal his business. I have actually good (better) idea how a simple 1 pc mold can be used. If you wish to discuss, call me 610 732 9306

If you want to try and make these, have at it. I am not doing this as a business to make money, just to help provide a rare part.

I am not doing this as a business to make money, just to help provide a rare part.
That was my understanding Rodger, otherwise I would not have suggested the options. ;)
If you are interested in having them made by someone else, it might be best if you and Jovani get in contact directly. That way the details of the scan file and molds can be accurately conveyed.
Otherwise if you wish to continue providing them that's fine. I am only trying to help with ideas / suggestions, as you say to support the community.
Thanks to both of you for the generous efforts.

That was my understanding Rodger, otherwise I would not have suggested the options. ;)
If you are interested in having them made by someone else, it might be best if you and Jovani get in contact directly. That way the details of the scan file and molds can be accurately conveyed.
Otherwise if you wish to continue providing them that's fine. I am only trying to help with ideas / suggestions, as you say to support the community.
Thanks to both of you for the generous efforts.
I am in. 610 732 9306

Back