Rebuilding a 1980's Alfa Spider - how much $$ are we talking?

tvmaster

True Classic
Just theoretical of course, but if you had to fix some dents/rust, do a total respray, re-do the interior, the engine and likely the cooling system and other various bits - what would you be looking at - $20k?

If you're a FIAT guy, you're spoiled on low parts pricing. Buy the best Alfa you can, not a fixer. The SPICA injection can be made to run well if you live in the Northwest and know Wes Ingram. Late 70's cars will burn oil. The best drivers cars are pre-75, and the most pricey.

Ok, thanks folks. I’ll give up that idea for now ;)
You might haunt a few alfa forums to get an idea of what they face versus what goes on here. We are clearly biased (though some of us do have direct experience). Fiat parts are lower cost. The Spider has been out of production for a long time and always had low production numbers. It used many components from the 1960s sedan which has been out of production for a long time.

This is a good article to read: http://www.alfaspiderfaq.org/dev_his.htm

They are nice cars when sorted but like all classics it is about getting the best example you can.

You are already enjoying this experience as you are currently driving a pretty well sorted example which is in very good condition for a non restored 1974. The pain and suffering you have now would likely be magnified with an Alfa. That you are not a full on mechanic (this is not a ding, am I not one either) would make the Alfa a very expensive exercise due to how few people work on them and they tend to be paid a premium for their knowledge and ability.

One just popped up at the salvage yard, with a hard top, which is why I started daydreaming :) And yes, engine work is beyond my tolerance at the moment - but the 80’s Spider is a lovely car if done up nicely

Having owned an 86 for quite some time, I never really had an issue with the parts costs. Sure, some items cost more than a fiat would, but hey, it seems everything is more expensive than a fiat, so there is that. Cost of driving a car you like. Top was easy to use and it never had the issue the 124 does with the driver seat wanting to break down and lean to the right. Driving position was great however on occasion I would catch the side of my back getting in and out of the car, however I am tall, just a hair over 6'3" so the seat was always all the way back. But, I was never cramped in the car. Never had any real mechanical issues with it other than wishing it had 50 more hp. I was even seriously looking into a cam/carb conversion on mine. Regardless, if it is what you want, then go for it. We are always here to support you.

Is this what you were thinking?

Bwhahaha - even I'm not THAT insane! No, it's a yellow, 1980 at JDK - looks ok, but would need everything I mentioned.

I helped a friend restore one of those in the late 70s. Stripped it down to a completely bare body for a color change, put it on a trailer, and sent it to a guy that painted mostly Ferraris. He went with a Ferrari red. The paint job was very expensive, even in 70s dollars. Lots of paranoia putting the engine and everything else back in without scratching the new paint.

I drove it once it was back on the road. It ran great but compared to an X, it was more of a cruiser than a sports car.

I have never driven and Alfa spider but I'm told they drive just like Fiat 124 spiders. I am a 124 nut but must admit they are starting to feel more like cruisers than a sharp sports car. Modern cars are so amazing that probably all sports cars from the 60s and 70s are feeling "old".

I have never driven and Alfa spider but I'm told they drive just like Fiat 124 spiders. I am a 124 nut but must admit they are starting to feel more like cruisers than a sharp sports car. Modern cars are so amazing that probably all sports cars from the 60s and 70s are feeling "old".
On point. Pretty much same front and rear suspensions.

A sport car from the 60’s :) beaten up in a later episode by a Honda Accord. But can you picture 007 in an Accord?

I would take a 124 spider over an Alfa any day of the week! I think it has nicer lines, even with the top up. The Alfa has that short roof, plus they got uglier every year. The Duetto was a pretty car, but once they chopped the ass off it was kind of downhill after that. Big rubbery body colored bumpers, it looked like a bumper car by the end of it's run.
Also I would say, the only 'amazing' thing about modern cars is how soulless and generic they are... Whoops! I might have accidentally launched into an uninvited diatribe!😳 I get sooo worked up! Old cars RULE!!😁

Agreed. I pull up in many parking lots adorned with new Tesla's - yet everyone looks at us and says "Nice..."

Having actually owned an Alfa Spider and spent a lot of time in my brother's old 124 Spider, I can confirm they're similar. The 124 was significantly more rigid though, the Alfa's chassis twisted much more under stress. The Alfa was VERY uncomfortable for long trips, it suffered from the 1970's Italian seating position. 1 foot long legs and 5 feet long arms needed to be comfortable. I imagine it was designed for orangutans. The Alfa responded very well to trail braking. Oversteer at entry was easy to fun around the bends, the 124 not so much. Oh, and the Alfa had the best A/C I've ever had in a car. Like it would grow icicles on the vents.

Which would I choose today? Tough call, I had a rather unique and pretty Alfa, so for nostalgic reasons I would choose the Alfa.

1631822987430.png

1631823023921.png

Last edited:
Also I would say, the only 'amazing' thing about modern cars is how soulless and generic they are... Whoops! I might have accidentally launched into an uninvited diatribe!😳 I get sooo worked up! Old cars RULE!!😁

If you think all modern cars are soul-less and generic, let me take you out for a spin in my Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Yeah, it's smiling at you. With all it's 505HP and 7:32 at the Nurburgring...

1631823244368.png

The view most cars get:

1631823438885.png

Last edited:
Back