Rebuilding a 1980's Alfa Spider - how much $$ are we talking?

I like the Quadrifoglio. Even considered going to it from my E63 AMG Mercedes. But the road tests (the early ones anyway)
scared me off with a bunch of drivability problems. Seems they were having trouble with engine management etc.
Yours been good for you?

I like the Quadrifoglio. Even considered going to it from my E63 AMG Mercedes. But the road tests (the early ones anyway)
scared me off with a bunch of drivability problems. Seems they were having trouble with engine management etc.
Yours been good for you?

It's my second one. I started with a 2018, then traded for a 2020 to get the touchscreen, wireless phone charger, Level 2 driving aids, exposed carbon roof, and additional port injectors. 2017's had lots of early teething software problems, well documented. I even had a couple of entertainment system glitches in my 2018. But what those same "journalists" who panned the car for being unreliable didn't follow up later to note that most of these issues were simple software updates that resolved the issues. It's the same tired old trope of Italian cars being unreliable. Whatever. My wife drove a 2018 Giulia TI and now has a 2020 Stelvio. So we've been driving Giorgio platform Alfas daily for 4 years now. Rock solid, this actually IS a Ferrari sedan.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." -F. Beuller

Last edited:
It's my second one. I started with a 2018, then traded for a 2020 to get the touchscreen, wireless phone charger, Level 2 driving aids, exposed carbon roof, and additional port injectors. 2017's had lots of early teething software problems, well documented. I even had a couple of entertainment system glitches in my 2018. But what those same "journalists" who panned the car for being unreliable didn't follow up later to note that most of these issues were simple software updates that resolved the issues. It's the same tired old trope of Italian cars being unreliable. Whatever. My wife drove a 2018 Giulia TI and now has a 2020 Stelvio. So we've been driving Giorgio platform Alfas daily for 4 years now. Rock solid, this actually IS a Ferrari sedan.

Is it true an oil change can be quite pricey on both?

Sure... I will concede, it is better looking than a Tesla, it IS Italian after all. But for $75,000, I could have 3 or 4 more interesting cars...😁

Yeah I figured the early issues would've been sorted by now. If my AMG ever fails to put a big grin on my face (hasn't happened yet) I will definitely
consider the Alfa.

Is it true an oil change can be quite pricey on both?
ALL oil changes can be pricey. Depends on what you consider pricey. Personally I prefer to have factory trained techs maintaining my Mercedes. Always have them check the car from stem to stern whenever I take it in for servicing. Keep em up or don't keep em.

Sure... I will concede, it is better looking than a Tesla, it IS Italian after all. But for $75,000, I could have 3 or 4 more interesting cars...😁

Yeah, you're right. No car over $10k or newer than 1988 is worth buying.... :rolleyes:

Maybe I can have 3-4 interesting cars AND an amazing Alfa Romeo. ;)

I will admit that when I decided to purchase the Alfa I thought hard about what other oddball Fiats I could get instead, or perhaps a '74 Alfa GTV, ooh I want one of those, but having never owned a super sedan (unless you count my old '81 Brava as a super sedan) and Alfa offered this beauty that could haul my wife and kids and not leave us reeking of unburnt hydrocarbons and our ears ringing (which I require these days), I decided to go for it. I also don't have space for another 3-4 interesting cars, I have space for 1 more. 3.9s 0-60, 191 mph, gorgeous Italian, screamer on track, smoked all BMWs, Mercs, and Audis around the Nurburgring. Yeah, not interesting at all. Nothing to see here.

I'm still an old interesting Fiat guy, I have a '69 850 Coupe, '74 X1/9, '86 X1/9, '58 Multipla. When parking space is limited, and needing something that can also carry the wife and kids, as an "interesting car guy" I just don't want to be in a BMW, Audi, Merc, and sure as hell not a Tesla. Not so much that they're terrible cars (though having driven my brother's M4 and C45 AMG, the Giulia is the better car), but Silicon Valley is infested with those things. I prefer to drive more unique cars. So I ended up with the Alfa, the obvious choice for me.

And it keeps the commute miles off my '74 X1/9 !! That alone is worth the money... 👍

Yeah I figured the early issues would've been sorted by now. If my AMG ever fails to put a big grin on my face (hasn't happened yet) I will definitely
consider the Alfa.
Oh, they are. My 2020 Stelvio and Giulia Quad have been flawless. Bummer is that the options for 2022 stink, not sure I'll be trading up anytime soon. The C63 definitely makes all the right noises!

Oh, they are. My 2020 Stelvio and Giulia Quad have been flawless. Bummer is that the options for 2022 stink, not sure I'll be trading up anytime soon. The C63 definitely makes all the right noises!
The C63 is a hot rod for sure. Just a touch too small for me. I prefer the midsize E model for a little extra interior room.

I am currently looking for a 2020 Guilia Ti Sport, Red interior, adaptive cruise control, Harmon kardon radio. It will obviously have the dual sunroofs. Dont particularly care about exterior color, Black or Graphite preferred, with red calipers. around 10K miles. Looking to spend 35k or less. If you see one let me know!

I'd buy a modern alfa romeo if they had a manual transmission and not the goofy paddles.

Glad to hear the Giulias are driving well. Prices aren't quite down to bottom feeder zone, but like all Alfa sedans, will get there in time.

Glad to hear the Giulias are driving well. Prices aren't quite down to bottom feeder zone, but like all Alfa sedans, will get there in time.
They’re getting there, especially for lightly driven ones. A fair amount surface in SoCal with under 20k miles for under $30k, which is in the same area as a Mazda 6.

They’re getting there, especially for lightly driven ones. A fair amount surface in SoCal with under 20k miles for under $30k, which is in the same area as a Mazda 6.
Share a link to a Giulia Quadrifoglio for under $30k, and not on copart…

Back