Rebuilding rear 128SL shocks

kco2949785

Daily Driver
How much shock absorber fluid is needed for the rear shocks/struts for a 128SL coupe? Is there a refilling procedure? I did a search on the forum but was not able to find anything.
Thanks in advance for any replies, Ken

I've got the rebuild kits and shock absorber oil so I might as well try to work with what I have. Here in USA new rear shocks/struts do not exist but I agree it would be easier with new struts.

When I rebuilt Koni reds for my X, each took about 7 oz. of hydraulic fluid. Hope that helps. I used 5w motorcycle fork oil, by the way.

For what it is worth, the 74-78 X1/9 service manual available in the Wiki has the procedure for X struts on page 161. They say to put in oil until full. Don't know if it relates to the 128SL.

Thanks for the multiple replies and advice. I had thought about buying new struts in Europe but shipping was a problem. Most of the stuff bought on ebay in Europe is shipped to USA via air transport. I think shocks are not allowable as some shocks are gas filled. Method A listed in the X1/9 manual was used. I'm not sure how much oil was used but it was over 7 oz. I used Redline synthetic 0w shock oil.
Regards, Ken

Back