Rebuilt Bosch Ignition Control Modules - $75

Re-post
I converted mine to the yugo system http://www.yugoparts.com/ign3.htm

I am now rebuilding Bosch Ignition Control Modules. I use the original Bosch aluminum box, remove the old printed circuit board and replaced it with a new solid state GM HEI ICM. This will fix ICM's that have burned out or ones that experience thermal failure and won't start when the engine is hot. The rebuilt units use half the amperage and produce a stronger spark than the original. Just ship me your failed unit that has an intact box and electrical connector. I'll usually have a couple units already built, so turnaround time should be fairly quick.

The $75 price includes the rebuilt unit, the box cleaned and painted with silver epoxy paint, seams silicone sealed against moisture, and return shipping. Let me know if you want the option of my returning your original box, instead of a core. If you want a specific name brand HEI module, let me know and the price can be adjusted.

Message me or send me an email with orders or questions, jnolta*integrity.com.

OK:
I'm interested. My X runs out of spark on hotstart, but it is my daily driver. I don't have a spare module. Is it possible to buy one from you , pay a core deposit, & then send you my original one back ? Thanks for your efforts !
Jaan Hjorth

No deposit necessary. I have a core now that I can build and send to you. Send PayPal to jnolta@integrity.com. It will take me a couple days to get it done, probably by Monday, so send me your address and I'll get it in the mail then.

Jeff

Cool !
$75 in your paypal account.
I bought this X 21 years ago, it has had many suspensions, paint jobs, & interiors since.
Reviewing my decades of notes, the one thing it has reliably done is fail to hot start.
Think if it is a thermal failure of the ignition module !
Thanks for offering the service of bringing these into a more contemporary design.
I will stay in touch ( & ship back the core in a timely fashion ! )
Can't wait to see if this solves the mystery..
Jaan

That's how I got started building them, trying to solve my hot start problem. It didn't, but the car runs better now anyway. At least it has newer, solid state ignition technology now instead of a printed circuit board with old resisters, capacitors and transistors.

Give me a couple days to get it built and I'll get it shipped to you.

Jeff

Cool !
$75 in your paypal account.
I bought this X 21 years ago, it has had many suspensions, paint jobs, & interiors since.
Reviewing my decades of notes, the one thing it has reliably done is fail to hot start.
Think if it is a thermal failure of the ignition module !
Thanks for offering the service of bringing these into a more contemporary design.
I will stay in touch ( & ship back the core in a timely fashion ! )
Can't wait to see if this solves the mystery..
Jaan

Is yours injected or carbed ?
My recent rabbit hole hunt was to conclude the louvers on my engine lid were a bit mashed together & wouldn't let the heat out.
I drilled out the pop rivets, straightened boht pieces & put it together with a shim on one side.
Lots more heat escapes.
Haven't tried it yet in the summer...
Jaan

If you've ever wondered what the inside of your original ignition control module looks like and why you might want to think about upgrading to newer technology...

ICM.jpg

Hmm:
Carbed, hotstart issue.

Do you still have your carb fan & blower hose hooked up ?

( Nice clean shot of the module btw. I like old school. but I also like lower drain ! )

Jaan

OK, back again.
Had a full week of rain.
Put your module in last night.
Beautiful workmanship inside !
Runs great at revs, but cuts out below 1100 rpm.
Huh.
Dies whenever I pull off freeway, & most times at a stop sign.
Also cuts out when leaving a stop if the revs drop below 1100.
Challenging.
Swapped to original ( that I had in a labeled box to send you ! ) & problem goes away.
Back to the new one & the stalling returns.
I wonder why ?
Good ground.
Could the wires to the reluctor be reversed ? Would that make a difference ?
I'll try to put it on an oscilloscope in the next day or so.
I'd like to get it working before I mail you back my core.
Any suggestions ?
How's your hot start issue ?
Have you done the brown wire mod yet ?
Cheers !
Jaan

Let me know how it goes, I certainly want you to be satisfied. Bob Brown could probably provide some meaningful input on what the issue might be. My first guess might be a coil compatibility issue. I'm using the blue Bosch 012 with good results, very smooth running at all RPM's.

I had great hopes for a new ignition switch for the hot start issue, but alas. no.

OK, back again.
Had a full week of rain.
Put your module in last night.
Beautiful workmanship inside !
Runs great at revs, but cuts out below 1100 rpm.
Huh.
Dies whenever I pull off freeway, & most times at a stop sign.
Also cuts out when leaving a stop if the revs drop below 1100.
Challenging.
Swapped to original ( that I had in a labeled box to send you ! ) & problem goes away.
Back to the new one & the stalling returns.
I wonder why ?
Good ground.
Could the wires to the reluctor be reversed ? Would that make a difference ?
I'll try to put it on an oscilloscope in the next day or so.
I'd like to get it working before I mail you back my core.
Any suggestions ?
How's your hot start issue ?
Have you done the brown wire mod yet ?
Cheers !
Jaan

I have a similar issue also ... check my thread
But I have FI with high performance head from MWB
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/bosch-icm-modification-with-gm-hei.31702/

Yves

I don't have a definitive answer on this. I would have to see the setup.
You can try reversing the polarity of the reluctor but I doubt it will make a noticeable difference. The spark phase shifts slightly when flipping the polarity.
What I do think will make a difference is to re-time the engine with the rebuilt Bosch box, as the HEI circuit handles the spark timing differently (I believe a little faster) from the original Bosch circuit. I've not scoped it out to prove that yet but it's something I suspect.
I also suspect (based upon reports and observations here on X-Web) that the HEI replacement likes a higher energy coil over the stock coil.
Jaan, send us photos of your entire setup. This will help us determine a cause.

What a great site ! Everyone chimes in. Perhaps more coil is in order. I have another X on the rack at the shop right now. Hopefully by Wednesday it will be running. I'll swap out the box & see if it behaves in a similar fashion. I'll post a photo of the install also.
I checked the timing & set it at 10BTDC. Same as I use with the Bosch box. I'll also find a moment to put a scope on the original & GM & make some conclusions.
Updates soon ! Jaan

Bumping this thread to say that I'm still re-building ICM's, same price, same great upgrade. Also to say that I believe I just solved my no hot-restart issue a few minutes ago. I swapped out the coil to distributor wire for an old one, BAM! Re-started it hot a dozen times with no problems.

I know, right! I tend to get frustrated with problems like this, say "screw it" and leave it sit for a while until I'm ready to come back and work on it again. Testing tomorrow with the old and new coil wires to make sure that's what the issue actually is. It worked today, anyway, so I'm happy for that.

Back