Recent lurker, new Scorpion owner #1553 restomod

Was easy to plop a racing fuel cell in. 15 gallons and room to also mount the battery to floor to centralize and lower its center of gravity.

C1F8EFD6-A8DD-42BA-B9D7-320FF7F2BC7B.jpeg
You’ll have to be careful measuring and drilling floor to mount that you have the space underneath and don’t come out to suspension or the coolant pipes. IIRC it’s also a double floor.

Mount far enough forward to leave space for filters, pumps with isolators and pressure regulator on bulkhead. Be sure to vent it and include a rollover valve.

Being central is an advantage pulling up to any fuel pump at the station. The looks you get from other customers while you pump gas into your luggage compartment are priceless. Consider revamping the luggage compartment latches. If either malfunctions you are screwed. I went with racing hoodpins.

Difficult to see watching on phone size screen. You still have the original filler hole for cap in the quarter panel? Are you going to remove it? Cover it? Otherwise you are kinda stuck having a filler pipe going no where.

Last edited:
So this happened today

The liner was likely molded, folded, placed in the cavity and then pressurized to have it unfold and move into place. They likely used a lubricant on the outside of the bag which when it evaporated also serves to hold the liner into place.

Hopefully for your sake they actually sealed the steel part when welding, one could imagine them relying on the inner bag to provide the seal and the steel to provide the crash protection.

Your assumption that our brains are any better than yours may be a faulty bit of logic :)

Was easy to plop a racing fuel cell in. 15 gallons and room to also mount the battery to floor to centralize and lower its center of gravity.

View attachment 59641You’ll have to be careful measuring and drilling floor to mount that you have the space underneath and don’t come out to suspension or the coolant pipes.

Mount far enough forward to leave space for filters, pumps with isolators and pressure regulator on bulkhead. Be sure to vent it and include a rollover valve.

Being central is an advantage pulling up to any fuel pump at the station. The looks you get from other customers while you pump gas into your luggage compartment are priceless. Consider revamping the luggage compartment latches. If either malfunctions you are screwed. I went with racing hoodpins.

Difficult to see watching on phone size screen. You still have the original filler hole for cap in the quarter panel? Are you going to remove it? Cover it? Otherwise you are kinda stuck having a filler pipe going no where.
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I have cut out the old filler cap of the rear quarter which is becoming a NACA duct with a matching one on the other side.

The liner was likely molded, folded, placed in the cavity and then pressurized to have it unfold and move into place. They likely used a lubricant on the outside of the bag which when it evaporated also serves to hold the liner into place.

Hopefully for your sake they actually sealed the steel part when welding, one could imagine them relying on the inner bag to provide the seal and the steel to provide the crash protection.

Your assumption that our brains are any better than yours may be a faulty bit of logic :)
I further cut and removed the plastic inner cell and it is heavy duty stuff with the threaded bosses for the filler/pump/meter cast into it. Looks like they made the tank by taking the plastic cell, putting it into the upper metal half and bolting it in place then placing it in the bottom half which got seam welded all around. When I get it done, I will seal it and perform a low pressure test to check for leaks.

I appreciate the extra brains regardless!

Am also into Subarus. My daily is older STi just becuz same as many that I rallied years ago.
D8A4599B-7049-4FAE-902C-9D0FC32A3102.jpeg

A couple close buddies swapped in the H6 into Imprezas and didn’t gain remarkable performance. Scorpion without the stock fuel tank has plenty of space for H6. Unless you already had the donor H6 I’d have gone with a 2.0 or 2.5 EJ turbo engine which has all the race development and aftermarket availability and then had the extra space as buffer for optimal placement without cramming access.

It's all mounted as per previous pages and videos. I went with the H6 over the four banger primarily for aural pleasure, the response of a smooth, willing NA engine, and it was almost free at the time.

If you're interested it was episode 6 when I installed the engine, back on page 4 of this thread.

Back