Recent lurker, new Scorpion owner #1553 restomod

No apologies needed this is interesting stuff! The Stoptech articles are great reads. Looks like I'll probably need to go to dual brake masters with a bias bar. I did consider trying to install an ABS system early on in the process as a way to correct any bias issues but it looks like it's more complicated (ABS programming/algorithms for specific cars) than I thought...

Yeah, ABS is a whole other ball of wax. There is a reason modern cars have 120Amp alternators, miles of wires and weigh 3000+lbs.

I have wondered about the old truck systems which only worked on the rear axle brakes but thats half a loaf

Poor suffering dog, abandoned for so long. Such a little dog for such a big man...

Have you considered tying the Subaru cross member not only to the front A arm pickup point but also to the rear A arm mounts? As I recall the original Subaru intact structure effectively offered up something like that. I know there are lots of things to look at around that area such as exhaust and coolant plumbing that make my offhand comment likely impossible or ridiculous. If you can it offers a way to provide a rigid plane down low to complement the longitudinal structure of the existing car and tie the suspension and power plant assembly together.

I like the idea of the bolt in rear crossmember to open the area for engine removal and a relatively easy means of adding other features to the cross member (easy to create something entirely new if needed if the current solution doesn’t support the rear transmission mount, gear change mechanism etc). You might consider adding boxed flanges on the ends of the rear crossmember to attach not just at the pivots, which is a pin joint and provides no torsional rigidity, but also higher up and bolted to the frame rails or other additive structure.

A large part of what the OE rear structure imparts is torsional rigidity to the rear of the car in addition to being a beam traversing the width of the car to carry suspension and jacking loads. Making an assembly to regain or improve on the existing torque box will be needed once you cut all of that rust and so on out of the car.

Think about the rear structure of the car like a drawer or an open topped box, the top of the drawer is open and in the case of a car with an engine sitting in it so is the bottom. The more you can tie the corners of the bottom of the drawer together, the less likely it is to twist. If you remove a side of the drawer, it will twist easily unless the bottom is very stiff. If you use the engine cross member to tie the bottom of the “drawer” together and ensure the end of the drawer is rigid and equal to the opposite end, transferring the loads across the end you will minimize the twisting imparted by suspension and engine torque.

Perhaps adding a more structural upper cross member above the shelf like the one in an X1/9 or Porsche 914 will assist in creating that box with your bolt in lower cross member extending it.

Ok thats enough Karl blathering on.

Thanks for the video and another peek into your thought process and the convoluted path of changing the car from one thing into quite another. It’s something I have been doing in my mind as I look at my red X sitting in the garage.

Last edited:
Very interesting, are these Girling ones 38mm? What is the mounting bolt spacing on your VW? Answers Karl, dammit!:D

I have continued to research rear calipers, the latest VW Golf (the MQB based chassis starting in 2015 for the US market) use a 38mm rear caliper with a proper clocking of the caliper from the factory for our cars. IE a left rear VW caliper would want to live on the left rear of an X or a Scorpion etc.

The caliper and carriers have started to hit EBay and are available with a few different disk sizes depending on it being a Golf or a GTI thus the mounts offering different offsets from the bearing carrier. I will be getting a pair to look at experimenting with for my car in the near future, likely the plain Golf ones as they use smaller rear disks than the GTI.

Thank you for sharing your perspective and ideas Karl, it is valuable to me as my brain attempts to cover "all the bases" in a build like this. I invite everyone/anyone to join the discussion on what will make this most effective and successful. Maybe I should have kept the Subaru control arms that mounted to the engine subframe and possibly would have been able to replace the rear Lancia/Fiat control arms altogether. Sometimes I think ahead like that but I was so focused on just the engine aspect that I wasn't able to see the possibilities.
Your point about the open box is well taken and I absolutely want to prevent a weak link in the structure. Also I was looking for a way in which to tie the new removable rear control arm crossmember back into the (soon to be created) replacement rear structure. Your suggestion gave me some good inspiration! The mounts for the transmission will come after I get the engine/trans assembly in situ but will most definitely have to attach to the frame structure that the bumper rails
bolt into.
Thanks for mentioning the Golf calipers too, another useful tidbit of shared info that is one of the reasons I love this forum and its members.

Also lastly, I appreciate the big man line but I'm only 5'9". She really is a tiny good girl.:)

I think adding on to the Subaru cross member to go back to the lower A arms and then a support across the end to carry the end of the transmission would work well. Keeping the existing suspension and its geometry are better than adding in the variation attendant with integrating the Subaru parts for that area.

A tubular add on to the existing SVX cross member going back to there would likely suffice keeping in mind the SXX motors plumbing needs.

It would be nice if it was a subframe assembly the engine and transmission sat in/on that would bolt to the existing mounts and a few other areas so the car could just be lifted off the subframe for any significant work in the future.

In any case thanks for putting it out there.

Ok, so I finally was able to get Bernice over to look and point and talk. She brought up some interesting ideas which I hadn't thought of such as exhaust routing (very out of the box), engine/transaxle dolly ideas for installation, and confirmation on my ideas of mounting stuff in general which was exactly what I wanted/needed. She also mentioned a way to lift the car body higher at precise heights which I hadn't heard about before. RV Leveling Scissor Jacks! So afterwards, I jumped online and got a set of four 24" extended height RV jacks rated at 5000lbs each for less than $100!

She also mentioned a way to lift the car body higher at precise heights which I hadn't heard about before. RV Leveling Scissor Jacks! So afterwards, I jumped online and got a set of four 24" extended height RV jacks rated at 5000lbs each for less than $100!

Exactly how I level the 037 tub when I need to. Careful though, they can be a bit tippy. Remember, in the RV application, they don't lift the entire RV, they only support the ends, the tires are still on the ground providing the friction needed to keep the whole thing from slipping.

Pete

Jeebus, took me long enough to get this up!

I do have another video followup to this editing as we speak...or type...whatever :p

Nice update.

It would be good to add some shear strength to the added structure back there. Diagonal tubes or a continuous sheet of steel welded to the tubes would suffice. I would lean towards the sheet myself.

Keep up the fine work, even on the bathroom. I will be spending the day running 12ga wire to the new kitchen I am in the process of building at my old house. Looking forward to the next installment!

Oh what the hell, here's a teaser for the next video...

IMG_1175.JPG

Thanks everyone, as requested Number 6!

Hey Christopher, the install looks terrific. That's cool that you can check your oil level without getting out of the car! I like the steel dolly. I've got a similar setup but all wood. My plan is to roll it and the engine/trans in from the back like you did.

Don

Most excellent!

One does wonder if it could be lower in the chassis and back a bit but then when you look at the header height and the relative offset of the axles it looks to be just right.

Congrats on an amazing milestone.

Now the real work begins of making it actually run and fitting all the plumbing for fuel, water and exhaust.

Thank you very much for bringing us along. Good thing you have a tolerant wife and neighbors, I am sure you are popular with all the other Eichler owners around you...

Oh and thank you for having a good time while making your videos. Would that I were such an interesting character. I am a character but not very interesting.

Back