Relay ID?

Lowtechprime

Retro Grouch
128Wiring2.jpg
128Wiring1.jpg
Hey does anyone know what these relays under the dash of my 73 128 sedan are? I tried tracing the wire Colors on the diagram but came up empty. The one has a dark blue /red trace going to it which I can't even find anywhere in the diagram..

Last edited:
The relay on the left is likely for the "Remove Key" reminder buzzer (which is probably why the white/red wire has been disconnected). You can test this by re-connecting the wire to the relay, then put the key in the ignition switch (just insert the key, but don't turn it) & open the door (which will activate the door jamb switch). The buzzer should sound off. This relay is item #30 on my 1972 128 wiring diagram (same wiring colors, but set up slightly different than in your photo).

The other relay is most likely the "Fuel Pump Relay Starting Switch" (not the "Fuel Pump Relay"), item #29 in my 1972 128 wiring diagram (different wiring colors & set up slightly different than in your photo). Seeing the "30/51" terminal marking next to the white/black wire helped to quickly track this down on the wiring diagram. If I'm reading this right, there should be 4 wires connected to this relay; your photo shows 3 wires + a broken spade on the corner terminal next to the blue/red & white/black wires. The dual-brown wire(s) dangling in the foreground might be the missing wire (looks like it has a broken/missing spade on the end?).

Thanks Jeff! I will have a look at this tomorrow! What does the the 'fuel pump starting switch' relay do? The fuel pump is mechanical... I thought the brown wires might go there, but didn't want to arbitrarily hook up a brown power wire and possibly melt something...

Last edited:
Back