Relocating Scorpion air cleaner to Montecarlo position...

icr

True Classic
I'm trying to find out how the Montecarlo holds the air cleaner bucket in place. I'd like to put the MonteHospital airbox on my dual Weber setup and I see the takeoff is straight back, not to the driver's side, like the Scorpion.
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.28.34 PM.png
PP1015-2020.jpg

Hi, the take off goes forward, mine has a flexible tube pointing down to duct clean air from the channel under the car. It’s very tight and mine needed the rear shelf/firewall modifying to fit.
cheers,
Andy

Hi, the take off goes forward, mine has a flexible tube pointing down to duct clean air from the channel under the car. It’s very tight and mine needed the rear shelf/firewall modifying to fit.
cheers,
Andy
Can you post a picture?

This is what I have to install. I have the lid and a new filter element too. Originally on the Scorpion it was under and in front of the spare tire.
scorpion metal clip.jpg

What do you not like about the air cleaners you have? MH airbox may have been better with hose mounted to side to be directed toward the center tunnel. Prefer not installing tube/hose/pipe over the cylinder head to get to heated air from the exhaust side.

What do you not like about the air cleaners you have? MH airbox may have been better with hose mounted to side to be directed toward the center tunnel. Prefer not installing tube/hose/pipe over the cylinder head to get to heated air from the exhaust side.
(You didn't ask me specifically, but...) In my opinion, open element filters have two problems in these cars: they're sucking in hot air and they allow A LOT of induction noise through. The hot air issue was enough that Guy Croft said it was essential to run an airbox for best performance and to limit risk of detonation. The noise issue sounds fun but gets old pretty fast when it's right behind your head. An airbox is on my to-do list as well. One of these days I'll take a db level reading in my car, but I'm almost positive it's at an unsafe level under load with twin open-element filters. It quiets down a bit at cruise. I don't think detonation has been an issue, but I'm mostly doing shorter drives in cooler temps.

The rear-mounted stock air filter was a Series 2 Montecarlo change, I'm guessing it's picking up more cold air there than in the original leftward mounting position. Anyone know the actual reason for the change? What else could it be?

Look at any premium mid-engine Italian car from the mid-'70s from Ferrari (above), Lamborghini, Maserati... you'll see they all have factory airboxes for the reasons above.

Understood. However Guy Croft was talking in general for all Fiat twincams some of which (other Betas) have the hot radiator beside the carburetors. In the case of the Montecarlo, the intake is on the upstream airflow side of all the cool air without being heated by radiator coming through center tunnel upstream of the hot exhaust. Any airbox is going to restrict airflow. The series 2 Montecarlo was redesigned for better airflow (IIRC also had a flap on airbox) but would wager having the pipe over the cylinder head is hot and getting the air from near header and especially if still retains catalytic converter would be toasty hot. Would be a good experiment driving in several conditions with thermometers in engine compartment reading the temps in each. With and without the engine compartment belly pan results would also be interesting.

Induction noise is good. Sucking unrestricted air. Dynomat the firewall inside. Have run straightshot DCOEs with velocity stack ram pipes pointed directly at bulkhead on high compression engine and never bothered me.

Scorpion8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. In my case the main issues are cosmetics and noise. My Scorpion (other than being 'de-smogged') is otherwise all original. For example the original jack and tools are behind the spare tire in the picture in post #2 above.
I have plenty of othercars that go fast. In fact I just got an RS6 that almost has more horsepower than my entire Italian car collection combined😮
IMG_0242.JPG

front yard and cars.JPG

Last edited:
More fun pictures. My Scorpion next to my daily-driver Beta (also with twin Webers) back in 1980.
beta coupe engine.jpg
Scorpion  and Beta Coupe.jpg

How it all started. I saw this Montecarlo while traveling in Italy in 1979 and thought it was the best looking car I had ever seen in person. So, when I got back to the States, tracked one down, of course in Scorpion form.
Montecarlo in Italy 1979.jpg

Back