Relocating Scorpion air cleaner to Montecarlo position...

I have the parts to convert my scorpion to a rear mounted air cleaner housing. First I need to get the car back from the painters.

Understood. However Guy Croft was talking in general for all Fiat twincams some of which (other Betas) have the hot radiator beside the carburetors. In the case of the Montecarlo, the intake is on the upstream airflow side of all the cool air without being heated by radiator coming through center tunnel upstream of the hot exhaust. Any airbox is going to restrict airflow.

Induction noise is good. Sucking unrestricted air. Dynomat the firewall inside. Have run straightshot DCOEs with velocity stack ram pipes pointed directly at bulkhead on high compression engine and never bothered me.
Direct from GC on the matter, though others may have different opinions:
A sealed cold-air duct to the carbs is essential, no "if" no "but". Airbox on carbs with as much clearance to the carb bellmouth/intake as you can get, large bore trunking ( eg: dia 80mm) to a remote filter drawing cool air from somewhere. The Montecarlo is very prone to detonation if you induct at underhood temp. First signal is usually a blown head gasket and white smoke from the exhaust.

Volume levels are a personal thing, what's acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another. For me, the open filters are simply too loud given their proximity to my ears. Dynamat could help somewhat, but an airbox is the correct solution anyway.

I love the color combo of your Scorpion, nice car collection as well. Your Scorpion looks like it has been lowered. Have you updated the suspension?
Yes. I wanted mine to look like the car in post #16. Before the spring change mine looked like the car in post #20 with some positive camber in the front.
In 2003 I got new springs from Monte Hospital. The ones the sent me were perfect, not too low. They are aftermarket and are red, so not original Montecarlo springs.

Last edited:
Volume levels are a personal thing, what's acceptable to one person may not be acceptable to another. For me, the open filters are simply too loud given their proximity to my ears. Dynamat could help somewhat, but an airbox is the correct solution anyway.

A few months ago I was driving my 308 around like this checking for leaks after some service and my right ear is still ringing.... 😮
IMG_0168.JPG

I'm running dual 40 DCNFs on my X1/9 and am in the process of designing an air box. This is the first time I've run these cabs on an X1/9 and for the first couple of drives the noise is fantastic at WOT, even at cruise. But after a couple of weeks, I'm done with the noise, man. Holy cow, having to be yelling with my son in the passenger seat so we can hear each other is no fun.

1633994619842.png

Just looked through my Scorpion parts manual and factory service manual for pictures but all my literature shows is Scorpion. It does not show the Montecarlo.

Back