Relocating the Brake Reservoir

lookforjoe

True Classic
I know we discussed this in another thread, however I can't find it :(

I installed my BMW reservoir from Jeff Stitch today. Moved it over to the left & shortened the feed lines considerably. Secured with 13.8 Oetiker clamps. I moved the clutch res. outward for easier access until I figure out what to do about that. Need to locate a BMW cap, the Fiat ones have a different thread pitch, probably because it's a Lucas product. "J" relays are for wiper supply mod.

If I could find a three post reservior, then the clutch res. could go away.

15_BDB4_F4-4139-477_B-_ADB2-504_ED90743_F1.jpg

AC2_DC0_E3-962_B-4_C67-_BA04-273386590_F63.jpg

Support bracket is bolted to tower, res. is secured to bracket with heavy duty Velcro, and is a wedge fit in the space. It's not going anywhere.

B469_CECC-3_C98-438_D-_B163-880014_F3_C1_B5.jpg

Clutch moved outward

BB82662_F-_D084-468_D-_A22_E-_E465_E09512_A1.jpg

Well, you could just use a T fitting if you wanted. But I kinda like have separate systems (could be a safety issue)

Well, you could just use a T fitting if you wanted. But I kinda like have separate systems (could be a safety issue)

I would consider using a "T" a saftey issue. Using a reservior designed for brake & clutch is another thing entirely. Every Volvo (with hydraulically operated clutch) I've owned since the 80's was setup that way.

I know we discussed this in another thread, however I can't find it :(

I installed my BMW reservoir from Jeff Stitch today. Moved it over to the left & shortened the feed lines considerably. Secured with 13.8 Oetiker clamps. I moved the clutch res. outward for easier access until I figure out what to do about that. Need to locate a BMW cap, the Fiat ones have a different thread pitch, probably because it's a Lucas product. "J" relays are for wiper supply mod.

If I could find a three post reservior, then the clutch res. could go away.

15_BDB4_F4-4139-477_B-_ADB2-504_ED90743_F1.jpg

AC2_DC0_E3-962_B-4_C67-_BA04-273386590_F63.jpg

Support bracket is bolted to tower, res. is secured to bracket with heavy duty Velcro, and is a wedge fit in the space. It's not going anywhere.

B469_CECC-3_C98-438_D-_B163-880014_F3_C1_B5.jpg

Clutch moved outward

BB82662_F-_D084-468_D-_A22_E-_E465_E09512_A1.jpg

I love you man! Wait that came out wrong.

Seriously this is exactly what I was thinking could work well, you got there ahead of me. Nice job, as usual. Big thumps up.

Late model VWs use the same reservoir for both the brake MC and the clutch MC and I believe they use a T. I will have a look at my Golf when I get home on Friday.

Wrong. Looked at the part online. Two down directly into the MC, the clutch outlet is a third outlet high and well above the bottom of the reservoir. So not quite the desirable arrangement.

Last edited:
Excellent.
I'll be using 3 'clutch reservoirs' in that location. Have the hose, reservoirs and brackets, but need the time to drop the pedal box for a complete hydraulic system rebuild before mounting the new reservoirs.

I installed my BMW reservoir from Jeff Stich today...Need to locate a BMW cap, the Fiat ones have a different thread pitch, probably because it's a Lucas product.

It's actually an ATE product, but Lucas may fit as well. For a plain black (or clear) cap, try older Mercedes, VW, Jaguar & Volvo (BMW's don't use a solid cap). Or I can mail you one, as in my PM. ;)

These were offered as an option in my first run of reservoirs a few years back, but so far nearly everyone has wanted the float-sensor type instead.

xbr07early2.JPG xbr07early1.JPG

Wrong. Looked at the part online. Two down directly into the MC, the clutch outlet is a third outlet high and well above the bottom of the reservoir. So not quite the desirable arrangement.

Yeah - Volvo used the same arrangement - that way if the MC leaks, the clutch doesn’t go out - not really sure of the logic there since if the brakes go, not having a clutch is a minor concern, really :D .

Makes bleeding the clutch tricky as the reservoir has to be kept completely full during the process. Still, I’d rather that than a separate reservoir.

This sounds to be a safer option if the program decided to go the route of 1 reservoir. I would much rather lose clutch use as a telltale that I am running low on fluid than lose brake fluid first. Mind it that bleeding the clutch is a PITA so I've heard. I do like this position and might move mine over there too. My wiring is a bit different though as I put the HLRM relays in near there as well as my set up isn't that clean yet.

that way if the MC leaks, the clutch doesn’t go out
I think you might have that backwards; usually the clutch nipple is the one higher up and therefore it will go dry before the brakes. As AK said, the clutch not working almost acts as a "warning" device that something is wrong with the hydraulics, before you loose brakes.

I'd love to find this type of reservoir (all in one), but haven't seen one with the nipples exiting out the side or 90 degrees from the bottom...only straight down from the bottom. But I'm sure it must exist.

Karl, nice job finding that thread. I thought I had it saved but no. Now I do, thanks.
Speaking of that prior thread. I completely second what Karl said about the long run of hoses across the vent box (with reservoirs mounted to the passenger's side). They hold leaves and moisture and rot the bottom of the box. Which in turn rots the hoses eventually. Really no reason for that long hose run, just asking for problems.

When I mocked-up the 3 small clutch reservoirs to the driver's side (same location as Huss used), they looked like they would fit nicely. But I don't have the huge windshield-washer reservoir. I do have an extra "bag" style washer reservoir. It is the factory one that fits in the left headlight well. If anyone is interested in converting to that style let me know.

Looking at the pics and the location of the new reservoir, where are all the relays moved to? This might be a different year than mine and the relays I believe got moved to under the dash somewhere. Probably more elegant but more of a pain to service. But hey, isn't that just the trend in the automotive industry?

My '79 has a pair of relays in that area, but there is enough room to move them to one side and fit the reservoirs. Guess you would need to play with it and see what can be done on yours.

I think you might have that backwards; usually the clutch nipple is the one higher up and therefore it will go dry before the brakes. As AK said, the clutch not working almost acts as a "warning" device that something is wrong with the hydraulics, before you loose brakes.

When I mocked-up the 3 small clutch reservoirs to the driver's side (same location as Huss used), they looked like they would fit nicely. But I don't have the huge windshield-washer reservoir. I do have an extra "bag" style washer reservoir. It is the factory one that fits in the left headlight well. If anyone is interested in converting to that style let me know.

Yes, of course - that makes more sense.

I'm getting a universal washer reservoir that I will locate either on the shelf or in the left headlamp well. Since I have no motors, I have lots of room in there.

I may pivot the reservoir to the central area & add the clutch one in that location, assuming it can be placed there without dropping too low due to targa storage. I'd like them all in the same location.

Looking at the pics and the location of the new reservoir, where are all the relays moved to? This might be a different year than mine and the relays I believe got moved to under the dash somewhere. Probably more elegant but more of a pain to service. But hey, isn't that just the trend in the automotive industry?

I only have two relays there because I added them. On my 87 Bertone all the relays are under the dash on the right. I assume all Bertone years are the same. Never looked closely at the arrangement on Fiat models.

Sorry for bringing up such an ancient thread, but I'm looking into this as well. Appears to be an old e32 7 series reservoir? It's a shame the manual trans E24 ones don't have the clutch barb on the same side as the brake ones, or else it'd be perfect, but this is much better than stock IMO.

Regardless, @Jeff Stich , do you still have some of these avaliable? After dealing with the cowl nightmare I don't want to run the brake fluid through there again.

Reactions: Mel
My final layout - I added back the level sensor

PXL_20230210_210532205.jpg

removed the washer tank, and put a universal one in the left headlamp pocket
PXL_20230210_210442463.jpg

Sorry for bringing up such an ancient thread, but I'm looking into this as well. Appears to be an old e32 7 series reservoir? It's a shame the manual trans E24 ones don't have the clutch barb on the same side as the brake ones, or else it'd be perfect, but this is much better than stock IMO.

Regardless, @Jeff Stich , do you still have some of these avaliable? After dealing with the cowl nightmare I don't want to run the brake fluid through there again.
Yes, the reservoir is from early '90's BMW 740/540 series. For a while they were plentiful in the junkyards, then the supply dwindled. Also, the junkyard workers would often destroy the reservoirs by punching holes in the top to gain access to the brake fluid in the partitioned half of the reservoir with their fluid-extraction suction tubes. It became futile (& quite frustrating) for me to search for these cars in the yards, eventually locate them & then find the reservoirs already destroyed in this manner.

I may still have the parts for one last reservoir kit, I'll have to check next time I go to my workshop area.

I am uncomfortable holding any brake fluid resuvare in place with adhesive. Way to easy for some brake fluid to spill on a revivor then start to eat away the adhesive. I always like a mechanical holding system. IMHO.

Back