Reminder: Valve Adjustment Shim Exchange

Could this be done by a total novice, with appropriate planning and (if needed) access to a garage/lift/lots of tools?
I'm of the opinion anything can be done by a total novice, that's how we learn new things. This job really isn't that difficult if you follow the steps in the manual. And really not a lot of tools or special equipment needed; some feeler gauges, a tool to push the cups down*, typical hand tools - certainly no lift or garage.

* The tool I'm referring to is discussed earlier in this thread. See posts #6 and 7.

I haven't looked, is there a tutorial on adjusting valves available on the forum? I'm sure someone has documented doing it.

A valve adjustment has been on my to-do list for awhile; it hasn't been done for at least 20 years/30,000 miles--and probably a lot longer than that. I've frankly been too intimidated to even think about doing it myself and was just planning to take it to a mechanic. But @Eastep's photos above are encouraging.

Could this be done by a total novice, with appropriate planning and (if needed) access to a garage/lift/lots of tools?
Yes. No need for garage. A lift will make the job 1000 times more difficult. Only need pen/pencil, note pad, feeler guage set (angled makes it easier), a few picks, a very small flat screw driver, appropriate valve bucket/shim depression tool, shims, phone or calculator, service manual for tolerances, and whatever tools you need to gain access to your cam cover. Those will vary on a car to car basis. I only needed a 10mm socket 🤷‍♂️

Yes. No need for garage. A lift will make the job 1000 times more difficult. Only need pen/pencil, note pad, feeler guage set (angled makes it easier), a few picks, a very small flat screw driver, appropriate valve bucket/shim depression tool, shims, phone or calculator, service manual for tolerances, and whatever tools you need to gain access to your cam cover. Those will vary on a car to car basis. I only needed a 10mm socket 🤷‍♂️
The method we used entails using a floor jack to raise the right rear wheel off the ground, so you can disengage the handbrake, engage 3rd or 4th gear and use the wheel itself to rotate the engine. This way it's not necessary to remove any of the yellow covers to get at the (for example) 17mm retaining the cam cog to the cam, or try to get a BFS or BFW on the crank pulley nut to rotate the crank as you go thru each valve. And the wheel gives you enough leverage so that there's no need to pop the plugs out.

After my previous post I see there are some good threads on doing this. When I get back home I'll add links to some of them.

The method we used entails using a floor jack to raise the right rear wheel off the ground, so you can disengage the handbrake, engage 3rd or 4th gear and use the wheel itself to rotate the engine. This way it's not necessary to remove any of the yellow covers to get at the (for example) 17mm retaining the cam cog to the cam, or try to get a BFS or BFW on the crank pulley nut to rotate the crank as you go thru each valve. And the wheel gives you enough leverage so that there's no need to pop the plugs out.
Yup. Forgot the jack, in my list of requirements. I'll also add and atest (from our previous shim-ing) that doing the job with the tire on, is ALOT easier then using a breaker-bar & socket on the crank nut.

As promised, here are some links to look at regarding adjusting valves:

Thanks all--for the info and (perhaps more importantly) the encouragement. I'll move this from the "to-get-done-by-someone" list to the "to-try" list. Seems fairly doable, and maybe not even so bad with the rotating-the-tire trick.

And this would be the furthest I've ever explored into an engine, so it also offers an added sense of adventure/mystery. Aight, you've convinced me!

Thanks all--for the info and (perhaps more importantly) the encouragement. I'll move this from the "to-get-done-by-someone" list to the "to-try" list. Seems fairly doable, and maybe not even so bad with the rotating-the-tire trick.

And this would be the furthest I've ever explored into an engine, so it also offers an added sense of adventure/mystery. Aight, you've convinced me!
One of my closest friends was so non-mechanically inclined he had to have his wife take care of everything around the house; replace the filters for the house A/C or for the water to the refrigerator, turn off the valve if the toilet kept running, empty the vacuum cleaner bag, put new batteries in things, absolutely anything. And it wasn't just a matter of him playing dumb, he really did not know how to do anything. Mainly because he had never been exposed to any of it. Growing up his family had people do such things for them. So that's what he always did. The funny thing is he has a near genius level IQ, so he had the capacity to do things but no one ever showed him how. So I began doing tasks with him watching, explaining how and why things were done and how to use tools. He was a quick learner. In no time he could do all sorts of repairs, installations, servicing, etc. He just needed to be exposed to it and encouraged to try. Now he hates to pay for anyone to do any work for him after realizing how easy things are and how expensive it is to have done. I'm proud of him.

As promised, here are some links to look at regarding adjusting valves:

that is a great write up many thanks for finding it and thanks to the original author just brilliant

I'm not sure if this post is out of line but I do want to mention that the valve shims used for Fiat are the same that are used in the Volvo 240 series vehicle ( the B21 engines ) so if you are having trouble finding shims you can get them from any Volvo dealer or wrecker that specializes in Volvo.

I'm not sure if this post is out of line but I do want to mention that the valve shims used for Fiat are the same that are used in the Volvo 240 series vehicle ( the B21 engines ) so if you are having trouble finding shims you can get them from any Volvo dealer or wrecker that specializes in Volvo.
Yes, both FIAT and Volvo are 33mm diameter shims. (FYI), IIRC it's been mentioned that Volkswagen shims are said to be 31mm diameter and NOT suitable.

Is this still a thing? I emailed Alvon, but haven't heard anything back yet. Not sure if I did something wrong or he takes some time to reply.

Is this still a thing? I emailed Alvon, but haven't heard anything back yet. Not sure if I did something wrong or he takes some time to reply.
Nothing at mirafiori suggests the exchange is shut down, but a one-man volunteer operation isn’t always quick to respond.

Nothing at mirafiori suggests the exchange is shut down, but a one-man volunteer operation isn’t always quick to respond.
Thanks. I'll keep patient with the holidays coming up. I've got plenty of other projects on this car to keep me busy until I hear something back.

Back