Remote Oil Filter

I am in favor of modifying the side scoop openings to enlarge them - with or without the addition of a oil cooler. When done in conjunction with adding a cooler then it can be ducted similar to what @Bjorn Nilson did. Either way I'm also in favor of adding a small fan to the cooler if it is anywhere in or near the hot engine bay. There are really countless possibilities where and how to mount one.

Thinking about mounting it to the engine lid with some louvers fabbed in to the lid itself.
Mounting in the engine cover will work, with a couple of caveats...

as the engine cover is one big vent, putting the cooler on there will mean you will also need a thermostaically controlled fan.

Air, just like water or electrons, will always take the easiest path. If it gets the choice of of passing thru a closely spaced matrix of a cooler or the wide open spaces around it, it's going to go around. so it will need to fan to ensure sufficient air is made to pass thru the matrix.

It also means ensuring the hosework is long enough to allow the engine cover to also open freely, without also putting any strain on the cooler or fittings. That's what will kill an oil cooler (well that and a stray stone) and I've seen a few cracked and split from improper mounting. t's also really important to put a spanner on the cooler "nut" when you tighten the fittings up, it's very easy to twist/bend the end plate and ruin the cooler.

Included in the Mocal 19 row cooler I just bought is a slip that basically says any cooler more than 13 rows must be mounted at all four corners to properly support the core or the warranty is simply void. They also recommend using some form of rubber isolator if the installation will be subject to vibration, which I'd guess in your case would also be a good idea.

Cooler / fan / mounts / hoses all weigh something, and that weight in the lid (affixed to it) will mean a well thought out mount is needed.

Fitting the cooler and fan to the body and having the lid close down onto it creates access issues to parts underneath it, so I see the appeal of having it fixed to the engine cover and swinging up out of the way.

If you use hose to plumb the system, and not hard line, you need to pay attention to the hose type and the total length used, somewhere for the hose you choose you will find a table of flow / pressure loss related to length / hose I.D. size so it's important to size hose and fittings appropriately. Resistance to flow is tied (mostly) to the speed of the fluid thru the hose ID, and the losses do an exponential curve as speed hits around 2.4m /sec with most fluids of around the viscoscity / S.G. of water, small ID fittings and smaller ID hoses flow fast and cause a lot of pressure loss.

SteveC

Last edited:
Just for the record:
An angle mount, as pictured in Steve's link, points the oil filter straight down and makes it much easier to handle.
I feel this makes it nice enough to where you don't need a remote mount filter.
This assumes of course that you have a convenient way to get under your car.

Just for the record:
An angle mount, as pictured in Steve's link, points the oil filter straight down and makes it much easier to handle.
Also want it for oil cooler and turbo feed, so don't want the filter down there.

Sorry Ulix, I'm not clear which mount you are referring to? There have been a few links posted and I'm not sure which one you mean by 'angle mount'.

Something like this.
This one is from an BMW E30 325i and incorporates a Thermostat and connections for an oil cooler.

Sorry, Steve‘s link had angled ones but none that bolts up to an existing oil filter mount.

Attachments

• 08B0C54D-99D1-4D9D-AB28-A8B0BB197A49.jpeg
    08B0C54D-99D1-4D9D-AB28-A8B0BB197A49.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 105
Something like this.
This one is from an BMW E30 325i and incorporates a Thermostat and connections for an oil cooler.

Sorry, Steve‘s link had angled ones but none that bolts up to an existing oil filter mount.
Thanks, that's the type I figured you meant.
Actually I believe that BMW unit will fit the Fiat SOHC block.
My concern with this type of adaptor is if the filter will hang too low down? I haven't tried so I don't know, but will the filter be exposed to possible damage when positioned down? Otherwise it is a nice unit that incorporates a thermostat as you say.

Just for the record:

The PO of my car re routed the oil to a vertical filter in the rear trunk ( where the jack would normally be) and from there to an oil cooler attached to the access hatch near the coolant overflow tank.

Not a bad arrangement, but can be messy changing the filter and really difficult to open the access open the hatch.

I've always found filters that are NOT vertically mounted to be much more messy to change. That's assuming the vertical filter is positioned right-side up. And any filter that is a tight fit due to the engine, body, other mechanical components, wire harnesses, etc, tends to create more mess when trying to get the old one out of the confined area.

I like this one, at least for my scorpion. The thick billet and the oil passages are nice. I cleaned them up a little internally for better flow

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

Thanks, that's the type I figured you meant.
Actually I believe that BMW unit will fit the Fiat SOHC block.
My concern with this type of adaptor is if the filter will hang too low down? I haven't tried so I don't know, but will the filter be exposed to possible damage when positioned down? Otherwise it is a nice unit that incorporates a thermostat as you say.

Hi Jeff,

the pic shows the BMW part installed on my engine! :)
As you can see in the pic, the shorty filter that is (temporarily) installed hangs to the TOP of the oil pan. So there is lots of vertical room left.
I will try to incorporate a VW oil to water heat exchager in between the filter and the BMW part.

Something like this.

That's a neat looking unit Ulix, do you have any more pictures and details?

325i is a 6 cylinder model?

being a genuine BMW part you would like to think it has at least been well designed and made like most German manufacturing, so considerations like internal cross sectional area and fitting sizes should be appropriate for our SOHC.

I've been searching for a right angle adaptor like that for ages...

Only issue I can see is with a longer filter the sheetmetal under tray probably wont fit without some slight modification.

SteveC

That's a neat looking unit Ulix, do you have any more pictures and details?

325i is a 6 cylinder model?

being a genuine BMW part you would like to think it has at least been well designed and made like most German manufacturing, so considerations like internal cross sectional area and fitting sizes should be appropriate for our SOHC.

I've been searching for a right angle adaptor like that for ages...

Only issue I can see is with a longer filter the sheetmetal under tray probably wont fit without some slight modification.

SteveC

Just read a blog about using a Renault Clio adapter to a 1500 block:

I think the part used is 8201056869.

Roy

Yes, 325i is the top of the line, 6 cylinder, 2.5L with 170hp (in Europe).
I don't know if lesser models had the same part.
The thermostat element inside supposedly can go bad.
I tested mine with a hot air gun and it opens all the way. In boiling water, it opens only about 30%

Hi Jeff,

the pic shows the BMW part installed on my engine! :)
As you can see in the pic, the shorty filter that is (temporarily) installed hangs to the TOP of the oil pan. So there is lots of vertical room left.
I will try to incorporate a VW oil to water heat exchager in between the filter and the BMW part.
Hi Ulix,

it is this one right?

also:

So part number seems to be 11421711070 (though 1708881 is what is printed on the casting).

Also here:

Good tip by the way!

Cheers,
Dom.

Edit (added info): The oil line holes are threaded M22x1.5 and are meant for had line as schown in the BMW part drawing. The hard lines have a flange like a hard brake line to seal.
We didn't install it that way, but just so you know. Shown in the pics are Adapters to M18 screwed into the holes.

If you just bolt it on, it will hang at an angle like this:
IMG_4522.JPG

But it is easy to cut this "ear" off the block that my finger is pointing to, then it will hang straight down. (Note that this is a Tipo block, don't know if the X1/9 block has the ear.)
IMG_4538.JPG

Attachments

• E30 Flansch Foto.jpg
    E30 Flansch Foto.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 104
  • E30 Ölkühler und Flansch.png
    E30 Ölkühler und Flansch.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4530.JPG