Remove ignition switch/lock on 850 Spider without key?

khnitz

True Classic
On the parts car that I picked up, there was no key available. In case I need to move the car around, it would be helpful to have the ability to steer.

So, I am looking for tips/suggestions for removing the ignition lock/switch when there is no key available? Or is there a way to defeat the steering lock mechanism without the key?

I searched through the service manual, but did not find anything along these lines.

TIA!

You can remove the lock. If I remember right you have to drill out the studs but they are pretty soft.

You could also disconnect the steering shaft but have to push a tire to steer. No big deal if you don't need to move it very far. Have done that many times over the years.

You can remove the lock. If I remember right you have to drill out the studs but they are pretty soft.

There are no "studs" holding the lock in place, you're thinking of an X1/9-128 type ignition switch/steering column assembly with the "breakaway-head" mounting bolts.

On an 850 Spider, the only way to remove the ignition switch from the steering column bracket is to either use the key (which retracts the internal locking mechanism), or drill out the center of the switch (which requires a quality, large-diameter drill bit & a bit of patience).

If you're just needing to move the car around the garage/yard, you could just disconnect all steering column-related wiring & drop the steering column by removing the 2 horizontal bolts that fasten the column mounting bracket to the under-dash structure (frame). This would allow you to rotate the entire steering wheel/column/etc. as a single unit to turn the front wheels left or right as needed. Just be careful not to catch the turn-signal/wipers/high-low beam switch levers on anything while rotating the assembly, as the levers can break easily by accident.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, Rod! I do have AAA.

I started disassembling this 69 over the weekend - got the rear panel off in preparation for removing the engine/trans/rear suspension in one shot.

What will likely wind up happening is that I will get enough of the parts off to really lower the weight of what's left, and then I'll just have it sitting on Harbor Freight moving dollies so that I can move it around until what is left is scrapped.

Last edited:
Back