Removing the head

Dom.,
What is the ignition coil to the fuel injection control unit???
I have two wires on the positive side of the coil and one on the negative side. I believe that was the way it was originally. One is a long wire that protrudes from the firewall all the way to the coil. Another comes from the ignition control module.
Maybe the long single wire is the fuel injection control unit wire???
Mike
I don't know if you currently have the stock ignition setup; I know you have been changing things around. Regardless, from the negative side of the coil you should have one wire going to the ignition control module, and another wire going to the ECU. This last wire is what Dominic is talking about. Without this wire connected to the right spot, the ECU will never fire the injectors.

See this post for pictures.

I don't know if you currently have the stock ignition setup; I know you have been changing things around. Regardless, from the negative side of the coil you should have one wire going to the ignition control module, and another wire going to the ECU. This last wire is what Dominic is talking about. Without this wire connected to the right spot, the ECU will never fire the injectors.

See this post for pictures.
ng_randolph,
&$@%##*+$@@!!!! I have that wire in the positive side of the coil!

I will change that when I get home and we will see if that was it.

I hope it is that simple.
Mike

ng_randolph,
&$@%##*+$@@!!!! I have that wire in the positive side of the coil!

I will change that when I get home and we will see if that was it.

I hope it is that simple.
Mike
If that is the case I can pretty much guarantee it is the issue.

Dom.

If that is the case I can pretty much guarantee it is the issue.

Dom.
Dom.,
Well, that little wire was on the wrong side. I feel so stupid!!! It started up and ran great!
I had some antifreeze leak out of the bleed valve on the top of radiator so I closed it. Seems to be holding fluid and pressure. Temp went up to 190 in about 5-8 minutes and held there for another ten before I shut it off. The timing is good at +10. The idol is a little high at 1000rpms. Anything under she just shuts down.
I used the original spark plugs so I am now going to change them for the new ones and recheck the timing.
Gary and I want to thank you all for your help and generosity. I would not have been able to do this without all of you.
Now, the fine tuning and cleaning up the mess and tools.
Thanks again,
Mike

Dom.,
Well, that little wire was on the wrong side. I feel so stupid!!! It started up and ran great!
I had some antifreeze leak out of the bleed valve on the top of radiator so I closed it. Seems to be holding fluid and pressure. Temp went up to 190 in about 5-8 minutes and held there for another ten before I shut it off. The timing is good at +10. The idol is a little high at 1000rpms. Anything under she just shuts down.
I used the original spark plugs so I am now going to change them for the new ones and recheck the timing.
Gary and I want to thank you all for your help and generosity. I would not have been able to do this without all of you.
Now, the fine tuning and cleaning up the mess and tools.
Thanks again,
Mike

I wouldn't worry too much about the high idle if you're sure there are no vacuums leaks. I think our Tachs tend to read a bit high.

Everything seems to be great with the X1/9. Seems to be running either rich or lean... exhaust smells strong. Wonder if the O2 needs to be adjusted? I read about that in the Bosch L-Jetronic manual.
I also need to check all the fuel hoses. I smell gas when I shut the engine off. I rechecked the fuel injectors and they seemed fine. Just going to go one by one and tighten all the fuel hoses to be sure.
No antifreeze leaks so that is good.
After about two gallons of antifreeze 50/50 the temp now is at about 180 degrees after a 20 minute drive in traffic. The heater in the X1/9 has never been better too. I possibly have some air still in the lines so I will keep an eye on the overflow tank.

The engine has a lot of power and will really go up to over 7k RPMs if I wanted it to. Before it would not go over 5.5k and prior to changing out the fuel injectors it would only go to 4.5k. Just so much power now and really sounds great. Going to take it easy and enjoy a nice ride.

So, I did something right it would seem.

Next project will be the A/C. Going to have it flushed and leak tested and if all is well charged when I get back. I hope the compressor is still good being off line for 6+ years.

Thanks again everybody for all the help with this project. I never thought I could possibly do this. But your support and encouragement made it possible. Oh, and Gary is very happy now his car is back on the road and has a little more faith in his father...lol

Mike

Back