Replacement Carpet Set X1/9PartNL

Does your X1/9 have the welded foot rest?

• Yes, Fiat

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No, Fiat

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes, Bertone

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No, Bertone

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

lookforjoe

True Classic
So, I bought Henk's carpet set years ago. Finally installing. The quality is superb.

There is a significant fitment problem for 1987 X1/9's - this may apply to earlier models in the US, so I need input to advise Henk as to which MY will NOT work with his pattern.

My 87 has a welded foot rest:

PXL-20210206-211333815.jpg

His carpet will NOT fit around this - my finger is pointing to the location of the welded pad, and where his stitched foot pad sits in relation to it.

PXL_20210404_171416823.jpg

The fit around the column and gas pedal is perfect

PXL_20210404_171628864.jpg

In emailing Henk, he says he has not seen that footrest on any X1/9, and his 87 doesn't have it. So, by default, all his carpet is designed for models without the welded pad.

Can others please indicate whether their model has this pad?

My quandary is whether to cut off the foot rest to make the carpet work, or attempt to cut & fit the carpet around it - I honestly have very little faith in my ability to accomplish that (cutting the carpet) successfully. Pretty sure I will end up with a useless piece of carpet.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, late model X1/9 have different floor depths - but I can't confirm that. My '82 Canadian spec car has a welded footrest (dead pedal).

Voted yes, 1987 Bertone build date 07 1987. Welded foot rest just as you show in your opening post. Molded pad sits on top of it just like the photo that Bjorn posted. My carpet is really beat up in this area and I was considering purchasing a carpet from Henk, but now not so sure. Surprised that Henk’s car is missing this piece. Hope Henk can modify his carpets to make them work. When I change my carpet I would like to put a quality one back in.

Voted no. I replaced my carpet last year and don't recall seeing a foot rest. I was also not really paying attention for the topic item, so 🤷‍♂️

In emailing Henk, he says he has not seen that footrest on any X1/9, and his 87 doesn't have it. So, by default, all his carpet is designed for models without the welded pad.
He use to sell the molded carpets that were darn close to the original late models but not exactly.
You can see how off the footrest is on the non-molded.

CARPETMOLDED.jpg
CARPET.jpg

I'm currently working on the floor pans on a '79 and a '86, both US spec. I've noticed the pans are very different shapes between them, but didn't notice about the foot rest. When I get back home today I will try to remember to look and post back.

I will see if I can get in there on my 87, its currently parked in a way that prevents me from opening any of its doors.

The 85 is still winter wrapped due to a full week of rain ahead.

I am pretty certain my 87 is the same as yours.

Those that don't have a dead pedal - how does it feel driving? I'm so used to resting my foot there on the highway drives, I'm not sure I want to cut that out....

Those that don't have a dead pedal - how does it feel driving? I'm so used to resting my foot there on the highway drives, I'm not sure I want to cut that out....
I suggest to not cut it off.
I have large feets :D and that plate isn’t very comfortable, but without it, it would be much worse at least for me

All depends on driving style. The early cars don't have it, but my modern stuff does and I never use it. If I had to have one, I would cut out the original, and fit the carpet correctly. You can fabricate a new base, or go on the hunt for a suitable replacement from a newer vehicle. I would just fab up what you need, finish it nice and top it with 3M anti-slip or the like. With all the fab work you've gone through on this build, this should be a walk in the park.

I really like having it. I am short but sit quite far back in the car, the dead pedal despite not being even with the regular pedals is really comfortable for me. All of my modern cars have had them so I have gotten used to having one.

My car does not have the foot rest but I never even thought about it. It would probably result in less space for my size 13 shoes. The bump under the carpet from the wheel well seems to be enough to rest my left foot against.

A left foot rest can be very nice to have IF it fits you and the car correctly. Otherwise it seems useless to me. I like them when driving spiritedly to help secure me in position. But I also find it comfortable to have both feet in approximately the same position during longer drives, squaring up my pelvis and leveling both legs.

@kmead brings up a good point, the X's dead pedal is not even with the other pedals. For me this is an example of it not fitting the car correctly.
@dllubin also has a good point, it would allow less space for his large feet. To me this is one example of it not fitting the driver. Another example is if you are taller or shorter, or have long or short legs, such that the location of the pedal is not right for your preferred seat position.

So I'd be in agreement with @jimmyx and say remove the stock dead pedal, install the excellent quality carpet, then fabricate a custom dead pedal (over the carpet) that suits you and the car correctly. There are aftermarket dead pedals that can also be used to assist in fabricating your own.

Back