Replacement gauges

speedy fiat

True Classic
I'm thinking of rearranging the gauges on the dashboard so as I can better see the important gauges (from a competition point of view) e.g rev counter. At the moment due to seat position and steering wheel changes I don't get a very good view. This will require a complete new set of warning lights and gauges in a custom made dashboard that would fit into the existing space. While I see no problem with the likes of simple warning lights, such as indicators, high beam etc, I'm not so sure about the likes of temperature and oil pressure gauges, do they have to be matched to the sender units? What are the issues with connecting an aftermarket market speedo to the existing X1/9 speedo drive cable. Any other issues people can highlight?

The possibilities are endless...

p.jpeg

I'm not so sure about the likes of temperature and oil pressure gauges, do they have to be matched to the sender units? What are the issues with connecting an aftermarket market speedo to the existing X1/9 speedo drive cable. Any other issues people can highlight?
The stock senders will probably not work correctly with modern gauges. You have a MaxxECU? So just like me you replaced many stock sensors and senders? I am sure you can use MaxxECU to trigger a modern electronic (w/o cable) speedo (but will require calibration). Almost certainly it can also be used for other gauges. The absolute best would be a very wide Android device that fits in the dash.
I will use a 8" Android tablet with virtual gauges for Turbo, Lambda etc and I am currently working on a holder for it in the radio slot. Stock gauges will still be used for oil pressure, temp, speed and tach and I think they require stock senders. On my UT there are two sensors for cooling temp. -One for the gauge and another for the ECU. The ECU sensor is "modern" and would probably also work with a modern gauge.

For the most part yes, the gauges and senders must match. Some aftermarket gauges are more universal while others have gone completely proprietary. So it will depend on what you choose. But even within a particular line (for example VDO gauges), the senders must match the particular gauge in terms of the values and readings.

If your senders are still the factory Fiat ones then one possibility might be to use the factory gauges from other Fiat models of the same general era. For example 124 or even 850 models had more common style round gauges that will work with the existing senders. A couple examples are shown below. However I question the accuracy of any of the factory gauges from that era, so for a high performance track car I'm not sure I'd trust them.

Otherwise if you have a aftermarket ECU then I agree with Bjorn that the ECU should allow you to take readings directly from it. They can be set up in the software to calibrate with different gauges. Not only does that prevent having redundant senders, but it also tells you exactly what the ECU is seeing, which is what really matters in terms of how everything will react.

The speedo is a different animal. There are a lot of really nice "GPS" based ones available now that do not tie into the car's systems at all. From as simple as a phone app, to a beautiful custom round gauge on the dash to match the other gauges.

If your dash is still somewhat stock'ish, here's an example of different Fiat (124) gauges installed in the normal cluster space (pics are from another member's postings):

Fiat 124 gauges for x19 1.jpeg
Fiat 124 gauges for x19 2.jpeg
Fiat 124 gauges for x19 4.jpg

Here are examples of similar vehicle dashes with option layout ideas:
cfgjh4568.jpg
lancia-stratos-interior-wallpaper-3.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

And for more inspiration, a couple X dashes that were redone in various styles:
9785180_O_5b2c2bc806937.jpg
9785180_O_5b2c2bc840857.jpg
Brushed Dash.jpg
image_28782 - Copy.jpg
x19_dyjop[15.jpg

I am guessing the hardest part is making sure the speedo cable lines up correctly... Otherwise some of those are really neat!

A quick observation on 124 gauges- the speedo and tach are available in 2 styles, shallow and deep, by how far they extend behind the instrument panel and depth of the face behind the ring; I do not know when the change happened, maybe someone else knows.
I would think the shallow would be easier to fit in an X.
I think the deep/early have a screw-on connector for the speedo cable, and the late/shallow have the snap-on style.

a couple X dashes that were redone in various styles:
View attachment 31658

Great post Jeff. I love that Lambo steering wheel. (I so wish Espadas were still cheap...I'd have one, like, tomorrow.)

But that one picture you posted in a stock X1/9 setup. (gotta click the attachment above) 78 was it? After the cluster redesign but before they went counter-clockwise on the tach sweep. Wasn't for very long actually.

Yea, 124 gauges have always been my go to gauges for things like this and the sending units and cables match. As noted, there are deep and shallow gauges, there are also speedoes with clip on or thread on fittings for the cables and there are some speedos that are only 85mph. Also, 850 speedo and tach are a little shallower still. Most of us spider guys have boxes of spider gauges.

But that one picture you posted in a stock X1/9 setup. (gotta click the attachment above) 78 was it?
All of those pics were ones I found on the forum or online with a Google Image search. So unfortunately I don't have any info about them specifically.

And absolutely, there were many cool "super exotic" cars that could be bought very cheap for the longest time in the past. I wish I had several of them now. It really is amazing how prices just stayed flat for SOOO long, then suddenly shot up dramatically.

All of those pics were ones I found on the forum or online with a Google Image search. So unfortunately I don't have any info about them specifically.

Yeah I figured. I was just pointing out that this one is factory stock, not modified at all.

1D3BEF19-7C24-4115-BE98-B02935D7703C.jpeg

Ahhh, now I see what you were saying. I thought this one has a customized face plate? But ya, the gauges are stock so probably not a good example for this thread.

No, that was stock for a 78.
84627ECA-70E4-4883-A988-57845425EBE5.jpeg
326C1184-F2D9-49A0-AED4-510D1394B921.jpeg
AD98E6AD-E65A-4985-B975-553ECB976F9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting to note that on the earlier cars (just the 1300's?) the rev counter went the opposite way to later/1500's

If the X was made in 2020 it would have a big fat tach in the center and the speedo would be off to the side.

a big fat tach in the center and the speedo would be off to the side
You mean like the Ferrari 430:
s-l400.jpg

This also reminds me of a couple other Ferrari production dash arrangements that I've always liked. As in various versions of 308's:
e0d10b1be - Copy.jpg
Ferrari-Dino-308-GT4-dash - Copy.jpg
1976Ferrari308GTB-19483-44 - Copy.jpg
P1000985.jpg

b31i7080.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up changing the steering wheel, and along with lowering the seat pan, meant that I could keep the original instrument binnacle. The winters engine work means that the engine now has a higher red line, which meant a new rev counter was needed. With bit of work I managed to fit a 'Race Tech' item with a programmable shift lights, while not affecting any of the other functions of the binnacle. The clear plastic cover fits back as per normal.
IMG_20200517_172506 (1).jpgIMG_20200517_172305.jpg

Back