Replacement X1/9 Brake Fluid Reservoirs (Part II)

Sorry my apologies, not meaning to be exclusive nor unpleasant.

In regard to Mira you can choose ’forgot my password’
1148C449-D47E-48D6-B0A2-A39A3A987A98.jpeg
Which will bring you to this screen:
C60AAC92-27A3-494E-92D5-79AA9D6A2B82.jpeg for

Is this post so old there aren't any available for a 75-76 X19 Bertone. My has a crack in it .

This particular thread is indeed old, "Part II" of the evolving (now-7-part) series. You previously asked for one of these reservoir kits back in April 2020 in the "Part VII" section of this thread:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....servoir-replacement-kit-part-vii.32167/page-2

The age of this thread has no affect on availability of these kits; either I find the parts & can make a kit. or not.

For those interested buyers contacting me over the last few months, I'll further clarify why I don't always have kits available...

Quite simply, the parts needed to fabricate this kit are getting harder to find, as the vehicles I source the various needed parts from are getting scarcer in the junkyards nowadays. To add to that, within the last 2-3 years, the junkyard workers have taken up the habit of basically destroying the reservoirs in order to remove the brake fluid from them. Instead of just removing the cap & sticking in their fluid-siphoning tube to remove the fluid, they now simply jam the siphon tube right through the top of the reservoir itself to get at the fluid, leaving a dime-sized hole (or 2) in the top of the reservoir & ruining all possibility of my salvaging it for re-use. The cap/float assemblies are also getting scarce, as fewer of the '80's-era BMW's are out in the yards for me to source from (I have found sources for NEW cap/float assemblies, but it would significantly drive up the cost of my kits).

I do still search through the 'yards for these parts, but the last several times I haven't found anything usable to make any reservoir kits with. When I find the parts, I make the kits, but I have no way to know exactly when that will be, sorry.

For Kathryn specifically, your best options would be to contact MidwestBayless & ask for a good used original single large reservoir (the type you have), or a pair of the smaller reservoirs fitted to the 1974 X1/9's.

This particular thread is indeed old, "Part II" of the evolving (now-7-part) series. You previously asked for one of these reservoir kits back in April 2020 in the "Part VII" section of this thread:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....servoir-replacement-kit-part-vii.32167/page-2

The age of this thread has no affect on availability of these kits; either I find the parts & can make a kit. or not.

For those interested buyers contacting me over the last few months, I'll further clarify why I don't always have kits available...

Quite simply, the parts needed to fabricate this kit are getting harder to find, as the vehicles I source the various needed parts from are getting scarcer in the junkyards nowadays. To add to that, within the last 2-3 years, the junkyard workers have taken up the habit of basically destroying the reservoirs in order to remove the brake fluid from them. Instead of just removing the cap & sticking in their fluid-siphoning tube to remove the fluid, they now simply jam the siphon tube right through the top of the reservoir itself to get at the fluid, leaving a dime-sized hole (or 2) in the top of the reservoir & ruining all possibility of my salvaging it for re-use. The cap/float assemblies are also getting scarce, as fewer of the '80's-era BMW's are out in the yards for me to source from (I have found sources for NEW cap/float assemblies, but it would significantly drive up the cost of my kits).

I do still search through the 'yards for these parts, but the last several times I haven't found anything usable to make any reservoir kits with. When I find the parts, I make the kits, but I have no way to know exactly when that will be, sorry.

For Kathryn specifically, your best options would be to contact MidwestBayless & ask for a good used original single large reservoir (the type you have), or a pair of the smaller reservoirs fitted to the 1974 X1/9's.
Thanks for replying

Regarding the brake / clutch reservoirs: does it matter which side they’re located on? I’ve seen X 1/9’s where they’re located on either side, mostly on the passenger side. However, one 1974 I’m looking to buy, the three reservoirs have been located on the driver’s side. I’m not sure if that’s the original placement, or where the folks who partially rebuilt the car re-located them.
Does it matter?

Regarding the brake / clutch reservoirs: does it matter which side they’re located on? I’ve seen X 1/9’s where they’re located on either side, mostly on the passenger side. However, one 1974 I’m looking to buy, the three reservoirs have been located on the driver’s side. I’m not sure if that’s the original placement, or where the folks who partially rebuilt the car re-located them.
Does it matter?
No, it makes no difference as long as they are higher than the master cylinders. It’s probably easier to bleed the system if they are closer to the masters but the original placement was on the passenger side.

No, it makes no difference as long as they are higher than the master cylinders. It’s probably easier to bleed the system if they are closer to the masters but the original placement was on the passenger side.
ok, thanks - that’s what I was hoping, that it doesn‘t really matter whether left or right. In the original service manual, yeah, they appear to be on the passenger side.

likely a modification by a PO. if done well, no problem. from your "just wait" post earlier, sounds like you got some crazy thing in mind anyways - looking forward to some details @tvmaster

BTW, were you in the television business? "tvmaster" is not a handle just anyone might come up with. Digging the mystery around all these posts from you FWIW...

likely a modification by a PO. if done well, no problem. from your "just wait" post earlier, sounds like you got some crazy thing in mind anyways - looking forward to some details @tvmaster

BTW, were you in the television business? "tvmaster" is not a handle just anyone might come up with. Digging the mystery around all these posts from you FWIW...
I’m a master at watching TV for sure :)
Regarding this crazy car: My current ride is a 2017 500 Abarth, manual. That should be enough fun for anyone, but when I was minding my own business one night, two X 1/9’s and a 1972 500 made themselves available. I drove an early 70’s 500 in Florence, Italy last year (because everybody should do that), and I started thinking maybe one Italian car wasn’t enough. Of the three in front of me, one of the X 1/9’s is the coolest, and cared for the best. But as I know absolutely nothing about them, here I am, making sure it’s not a completely bonehead move. The seller came to me by stealth, and wants to stay that way until we finish the deal. So I‘m just honoring their wishes. But all the help people are offering here makes me think it’s not as goofy idea as I first though (and believe me, I get some goofy ideas).
Patience grasshopper, all will be revealed....one day :)

oh, PO? whazat?

Back