Replacing interior headliner surrounding rear window - anyone done it? Easy?

tvmaster

True Classic
Now that the boat upholstery from last year has proven worthy, it’s time to tackle the dying headliner on the B pillars / rear window area. Has anyone done this? Any advice on how not to make a complete mess of it? Here’s what I’m replacing (not mentioned by the WD team, obviously).
The difficult part would appear to be working the rear window weather seal…

D79739E0-0C8C-4827-8BA0-834F80CF9A90.jpeg

HI did mine not that hard of a job , Would suggest removing window , did mine in three pieces

Attachments

• FD2C941C-3AAA-4390-A767-55A46E8F88E5.jpeg
    FD2C941C-3AAA-4390-A767-55A46E8F88E5.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 6BE633CD-735F-45C6-8893-6A178ABED0CC.jpeg
    6BE633CD-735F-45C6-8893-6A178ABED0CC.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 89
Now that the boat upholstery from last year has proven worthy, it’s time to tackle the dying headliner on the B pillars / rear window area. Has anyone done this? Any advice on how not to make a complete mess of it? Here’s what I’m replacing (not mentioned by the WD team, obviously).

View attachment 57184
I missed that shot when I saw the WD episode. Interesting to see what gets edited out. That seems like a bit of an unusual place for damage.

I missed that shot when I saw the WD episode. Interesting to see what gets edited out. That seems like a bit of an unusual place for damage.
Yeah, they also shot around the cracked dash best they could, the carpet stains, and the frunk paint damage caused by someone spilling brake fluid under the frunk matt and not noticing for three weeks. I assume this headliner damage was caused by someone cleaning the window or messing with the targa weatherstripping....

HI did mine not that hard of a job , Would suggest removing window , did mine in three pieces
Does removing the window require glue or bonding agents of some kind when reinstalling?
And did you sew the three pieces together before reinstalling?

While you're at it. Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the b-pillar? I'm trying to work out what seat belt mounts might be lurking there.

Thanks,
BrianM

While you're at it. Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the b-pillar? I'm trying to work out what seat belt mounts might be lurking there.

Thanks,
BrianM
I will, but if you just press against the fabric, you should be able to feel a second, threaded hole if there is one.

Last edited:
Does removing the window require glue or bonding agents of some kind when reinstalling?
And did you sew the three pieces together before reinstalling?
The window needs no bonding sits in rubber seal , would suggest putting tape on paint on bottom of targa sail to protect paint from scratch’s, did not sew together glued down side piece’s first ,the centre one has a hem on each end to give it a finished look ,

Thanks,
BrianM
Had mine apart there is only one spot to bolt seat belt , after new upholstery was on found it buy pushing with finger then made small hole with punch

The window needs no bonding sits in rubber seal , would suggest putting tape on paint on bottom of targa sail to protect paint from scratch’s, did not sew together glued down side piece’s first ,the centre one has a hem on each end to give it a finished look ,
Old thread question revival. Forgot to ask about this - the center piece hems: any chance you can take a photo of this so I can see how that faux-joining point looks? Finally getting around to this repair. Thanks.

Last edited:

View attachment 57184
Sorry - "Boat upholstery"?

Once paint is done, next is redoing the upholstery...

Back