Replacing tires

Pghvdubguy

Low Mileage
After five years of ownership, I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my 81 X. The tires that are currently on the car are falken 185/60/13.

Now I can't find anything at all in that size. I know last year I bought a set of federal's in the same size for my other X. But they seem to be non-existent now.

I talked to Matt at Midwest and he told me to order the 165 65 13 the tire rack sells. Which I did, but then I got a call from tire rack that they are on backorder!!

I did find a couple other brands in the 165 tires. But they're all Chinese brands.

Does anybody have a recommendation??

Hi Brian - lots of options available. Michelin from Longstone UK as one example. I bought Yokohama A539 from Demontweeks UK, they shipped to Canada OK but not sure if they will ship to the US. Yokohama make a vintage line - not cheap, but they're great.

Hi Brian,

There may be tires sitting in shipping containers on off the west coast. There is an enormous backlog of ships waiting to be unloaded. TireEasy had no Achilles 185/60/13 for weeks. Then suddenly had some in stock, but the price was about $25 per tire higher than normal. They were gone in a couple days. Might just take a while for some more to appear. Or you can source them from Europe as Myron pointed out.

There was a thread not too long about about all of the 185/60/13 options. Do a quick search, lots of good info in that thread with pictures and everything.

You'll find some.

Just go to your nearest Discount Tire. They can order you a set. I did this a month ago or so.

I just went with R888Rs. It's either that or tires that are great for commuting but not for driving...

1634052008357.png

I think we are seeing issues with both shipping and manufacturing due to the Pandemic, I was reading rubber production is down and starting to effect manufactures. If you can hold off I would do so until things normalize. Obviously that may not be possible in all cases.

I think we are seeing issues with both shipping and manufacturing due to the Pandemic, I was reading rubber production is down and starting to effect manufactures. If you can hold off I would do so until things normalize. Obviously that may not be possible in all cases.

I was actually thinking to do just that and wait a little bit. The season's almost over anyways and I'm going to be putting the car away for the winter. Just wait and see what I can find in the spring

Vulcan also lists 3 185/60-13 tires from Nexen, Yokohama, and Falken; 2 of them cost less than the Vredsteins.

Either no longer in production or back ordered on Vulcan. I got the last two Achilles 185/60-13 from CarID about three weeks back. One came from New Jersey and the other Florida. The sales guy flatly said ‘it’s supply chain issues’. There’s about a million (!) containers sitting off the coast. I’m sure a few of them are carrying tires.

I was in the same boat last month (no pun intended). Found nothing in 185/60R13. I ended mounting a set of slightly used tires from a friend. I sure hope it is supply chain related and not discontinued. Demon Tweeks told me they would no longer ship tires to US. There may be other British or European suppliers to try?

I believe the Longstone US agent is Lucas Classic Tires in California. Simple Google search will find them. I have ordered Pirelli CN36 tires for my 124 from them before and service was prompt. I have a set of CN36's coming for my Dino as we speak.... They have been very good to deal with.

I wish BF goodrich TA radials came in a 195/60...they do have a 205/60...I know these will fit on the rear, but everyone says they won't fit on front? Can someone tell me why? is it the strut, or does it rub the wheel well? I have coilovers, and no wheel well liners, and spacers- perhaps they would fit?

I wish BF goodrich TA radials came in a 195/60...they do have a 205/60...I know these will fit on the rear, but everyone says they won't fit on front? Can someone tell me why? is it the strut, or does it rub the wheel well? I have coilovers, and no wheel well liners, and spacers- perhaps they would fit?
The radius of a 205/60-13 is nearly identical to that of the original 145/80-13 so it will likely be a matter of how the width affects things. When I used 185/70-13, I had to roll up the wheel well lips and fold up the lower front edge of the front wheel wells. Compared to a 185/70, the 205s are about 0.75" wider and 0.25" less radius. The wheels I was using got the sidewalls just clear of the rolled fender lips by eliminating the stock wheel spacers.

Back