Restoration of a 1987 Bertone

Oh you’re weird alright.

You and all the rest of us.

Regarding the brakes, are saying soft pedal or poor stopping?

If it’s poor stopping understand they do need to bed in (a series of stops) and of course they do need a good push to get much out of them.

Once you get the hang of them they work very well and they will bring the car to a stop in fine order.

Oh you’re weird alright.

You and all the rest of us.

Regarding the brakes, are saying soft pedal or poor stopping?

If it’s poor stopping understand they do need to bed in (a series of stops) and of course they do need a good push to get much out of them.

Once you get the hang of them they work very well and they will bring the car to a stop in fine order.

Pedal is strong but stopping power is weak.

Once bedded in and with some driver acclimatization, they will be better than you expect.

Haven't posted in a while but I've been dealing with life things. But lots of progress has been made on the X. Mechanics are done, new coil-overs installed, and all the rust has now been patched. So now it is body work time. I've spent the last few days sanding the car and working the doors and door jambs. Still lots of things to do.

20180612_072018.jpg

20180612_072052.jpg

I was really hoping to have it in primer by now but the more I sand, the more hidden rust I find. Aaarrgghhh I hate rust!!

I was really hoping to have it in primer by now but the more I sand, the more hidden rust I find. Aaarrgghhh I hate rust!!

I feel your pain. I still need to address the door sill (rocker) rust on mine before I can think about painting mine. I'm driving around in a patchwork quilt :D

7_F0_A9_B8_F-_B847-4_FAE-_A952-_D2_DB9_C6_B314_E.jpg

Last edited:
working the doors

Just wondering how you got the doors off? Was it hard undoing the bolts? In Coltech's write up on his X resto he mentioned it was impossible to remove the door bolts to get the doors off and he abandoned doing so.

Yes that is what I used (different brand but some thing.) I had to use an extension on it so that I could get the tool out far enough to hit it with the hammer. Still had to drill out 4 of them but fortunately MWB sells replacements so I need to place an order. Honestly, once I started the removal, I questioned my sanity and almost abandoned the idea and left them in place. But I wanted to get nice paint on the door jambs. And the driver's door had a small spot of rust-through and it was easier to cut it out and weld in a patch with the door on a work surface versus on the car.

In some instances I had to use a torch (propane/oxygen combo) to heat up the bolts and then let them cool down to break whatever chemical or rust bond was holding them in place. Usually, though, the above mentioned tool will work or even an air hammer. Worst case, you can always drill the heads off, remove the doors and then deal with the remaining bolt shank.

I was reading through my last posts and wanted to mention that I fixed 5th gear. The shifter linkage just needed adjusted. Now it shifts smoothly and does not pop out of 5th anymore.

Now I *think* I have all the hidden rust holes patched. Now on to primer.

Moved it outside to clean it (and the garage) in preparation for the primer coat. Getting closer.

20180615_132055.jpg
20180615_132109.jpg

I'm envious :D - hoping I will be able to paint mine the end of the month, when school is done with (teaching & graduate classes).

I feel your pain. I still need to address the door sill (rocker) rust on mine before I can think about painting mine. I'm driving around in a patchwork quilt :D

7_F0_A9_B8_F-_B847-4_FAE-_A952-_D2_DB9_C6_B314_E.jpg

What is the plastic booth you have? Is that homemade? I thought about doing something similar for a paint booth because when I paint in the garage, the house smells like paint for a couple of days.

What is the plastic booth you have? Is that homemade? I thought about doing something similar for a paint booth because when I paint in the garage, the house smells like paint for a couple of days.

It's one of those "3-in-1" canopy kits. Has sides that can be added/removed, and an extension canopy. I bought it to paint the Fiat in - but, it's kinda tight. My garage doesn't have much more walk around (the Fiat) space unfortunately.

Congrats on a great milestone.

Consider removing the door handles so the doors will get painted properly and not have cracking

The door will still be operable as the handle pushes in on a post to actuate the mechanism by pushing in on the post.

Chris Obert has new handles available as well.

Back