Restoration of exterior plastic parts and targa top X1/9

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dupli-Color-TR250-Truck-Bed-Coating-Aerosol-16-5-oz/114014920?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222040688407&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10364087925&wl4=pla-4578297712425346&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=114014920_10000006953&wl14=duplicolor bed spray&veh=sem&msclkid=4247448bf0ba1ba8cd9e18b1ac73a308

Great product for that textured look... Used it extensively on the VW and the X. The further you pull back while spraying, the larger the texture. Drys fast also. Almost forgot to mention, If you look at any of the pictures in my thread, the engine valve cover for my X was sprayed with this product. Nice texture f you ask me.

Hi Brian
I have never heard of the product, is it like like a vinyl car cleaner??
Thx Jeff

Meguiars Ultimate Black is a black plastic conditioner and I bought it at Canadian Tire. It removes (or hides) that whitish oxidation and brings the plastic back to the original colour. I have reapply twice a year, but each time it seems to last a little longer.

Brian

Said it before but if you haven’t tried it, Wipe New works amazingly well and lasts a year at least. Used it on my 10 year old Shutters on my house three years ago, they still look brand new.
I use it on all plastic or rubber exterior trim, not the tires, lasts forever.

upload_2019-1-12_18-43-1.jpeg

Meguiars Ultimate Black is a black plastic conditioner and I bought it at Canadian Tire. It removes (or hides) that whitish oxidation and brings the plastic back to the original colour. I have reapply twice a year, but each time it seems to last a little longer.

Brian
Thx Brian
I will look into that product
Thx

Jeff, there was a thread about refinishing tops awhile back. That textured finish seems to be a coating of some sort. Attempts to remove it required a lot of sanding to get down to the base fiberglass. So unless that is your goal, it might be best to not sand it. Instead try a good cleaning with a scrub brush and cleaner/degreaser. Then maybe go over it with a wax/grease remover pre-paint cleaner to help remove any silicone products that might have been applied in the past. Finally do whatever refinishing coating you choose.

Here is one thread talking about top refinishing (there have been others but I can't locate them):
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-under-the-targa-top-coating.35221/#navigation
Hi Dr. jeff

I read through the thread and I will be doing what you have suggested

Thx

Back