Reverse - horrible noise after bump starting

obxfshn

Daily Driver
Last week I had to bump start my 81 X in reverse; when I dumped the clutch it made a horrible noise.

I still can back the car slowly/gently but it makes a bad thud every couple of seconds. It’s hard to describe but it sounds like a component is being forced and then it jumps/releases and is then again forced and released is a thud each time.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before i start my troubleshooting process.

You've bent the reverse idler shaft, and possibly broken a tooth off the reverse idler gear.... number one thing you never do with an X19 (well most cars in fact) is bump start them in reverse gear.

transmission out and replace the parts, that's the only cure.

SteveC

You've bent the reverse idler shaft, and possibly broken a tooth off the reverse idler gear.... number one thing you never do with an X19 (well most cars in fact) is bump start them in reverse gear.

transmission out and replace the parts, that's the only cure.

SteveC

Or you may be lucky and it's ONLY the reverse gear. But the fix is the same. Remove the transmission and change the part(s). As long as you are there, it is often a good idea to change the clutch (disc, pressure plate and bearing), because the removal of the transmission is not something you want to do everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the reverse gear idler shaft is bent, it is also very possible the casting around the shaft retainer is cracked too. This is common when the reverse idler shaft is bent.

Bernice

Back