RHD accelerator linkages.

Dishy

Daily Driver
Hello All,
I currently have a problem with the accelerator occasionally sticking slightly open. I am having a look to try and find the problem and I noticed that there is this rubber grommet looking thing just floating on the cable. Does anyone know where this should be? Pic attached.

Hello,
I don't think the picture worked so trying again.

Dishy
Picture.jpg

IIRC the rubber grommet is pushed into the end of the tunnel tube, but definitely shouldn't be floating around. However, is this a 1500 car? If so it looks like the end rod on the cable has been bent over - it should be about 4" long with an over spring sandwiched between two washers and split-pins, so that any heavy foot action is cushioned by the spring compressing. 1300 cars don't have this and just have a looped cable end on the pivot directly.

Having said that, my first call on a sticking accelerator is usually to check for fraying of the inner cable as it exits the outer sheath at the engine end - on 1500s this is masked by the rubber boot - if is this is the case, then it's a new cable unfortunately. Also check for good lube on the rod pivot joints from cable to carb as these can stick also.

the cable end assembly shown in the picture is totally WRONG and whether that's the source of the sticking or not I would remove it and install the correct cable and linkage parts. Unhook the cable from the cam cover and see if it still binds so you can determine if you have a cable problem or the linkage in the engine bay is binding. As noted, the rubber piece is inserted in the metal cable guide although I don't think it's the source of your binding.

Thanks for the replies.

Its definitely not a frayed cable, its a solid center wire. The rod at the peddle connection is not bent its a loop like an eye bolt. If I disconnect the cable from the cam cover linkages everything feels like it moves ok, there is a bit of resistance from the pump jets but if I can feel the accelerator pump jets it must be reasonable free.

Carl
If what I have is totally wrong, what should I have? Because this is what it has always been since I got the car.

Dishy

I've also found the foot pedal pivot (metal arm through the plastic housing) can become 'sticky'.

Carl's experience is probably limited to LHD cars. The pedal arrangement is for sure different on RHD cars, but is the cable attachment supposed to be the same?

The pedal arrangement is for sure different on RHD cars, but is the cable attachment supposed to be the same?

Yes, the cable attachment is the same. The only difference in the pedal arrangement is that on RHD cars the right-hand end of the pedal rod fits into a nylon bush into the right-hand footwell side/arch. The attachment at the pedal pivot in the tunnel is as I described earlier. The OP hasn't confirmed if it's a 1500 car though. Either way the inner should not be solid - that alone will give some resistance :(

For 1500s this is what you need (other vendors are available):

https://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=192

https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...embly-fiat-bertone-x19-5-spd-1979-88-new.aspx

Last edited:
Yes its a 1500. Based on what I have found on vendors websites I have a 1300 cable fitted to a 1500.

its a solid center wire.
I have a 1300 cable fitted to a 1500

Even 1300 cables were originally braided to give flexibility, particularly where the cable routes up and out of the tunnel through the engine compartment firewall.

There's bound to be a picture of the missing spring components at the pedal somewhere on xweb, but it does raise the question of what you have at the engine end. There's meant to be an adjustable screw fitting to the first ball joint on original 1500's (the inner cable was just clamped on 1300s). Do you have a picture of that end?

Correct, I have no knowledge of RHD Xs. As noted, the cable should not be a single solid wire, at least for US cars. A single strand wire would be prone to getting permanent kinks. Our heater controls are single wire. My advice, get the correct throttle cable installed and be thankful the one you have in the car has worked at all. Just for grins, what does the cable look like at the engine end?

I apologize for the quality of the photo. I'll get a better one tonight when I put the cambox linkages back on.

IMG_20200121_064556.jpg

On RHD the accelerator pedal sits in a bushing in a hole in the drivers side footwell. Check to see if the bushing is there and that it isn't jamming the pedal.
The other thing is there is a bar that goes from the cable end in the console, under the carpet in the drivers footwell to the accelerator pedal . This is covered by a
plastic cover which breaks and causes the bar to jam and stop it from returning to the resting position.

If the cable was working previously and hasn't broken then it may just need some lubricating.

That engine side end does not look right either (at least for LHD Xs). I think someone used a cable from something else and made it work. I still say you should chuck that cable and get the right one.

That engine side end does not look right either (at least for LHD Xs). I think someone used a cable from something else and made it work. I still say you should chuck that cable and get the right one.

Agreed. This is not a proper cable. The RHD cables don't differ, BTW, just the linkage under the floor mat. A new cable is definitely in order here.

Back