Ring end gap question

CnC79X19

True Classic
91260C19-B786-4352-B5E5-7190E86CF172.jpeg
Had 1500 block bored to accommodate a set of Vic’s 87.00 aftermarket pistons and wonder if anyone can shed a light on the oil ring dilema I think we’re having? Attached are the readings we came up with. The 1st and 2nd compression ring gaps are all well within stock spec but the oil rings appear to be somewhat off. Should we be worried? Does anyone even check the oil ring end gaps? I don’t see it much when I research it?? Thanks in advance

My ring gaps too were big and outside the OEM Fiat spec. I had a hard time finding rings that would be one size larger to trim to spec. I considered shipping them to a company in California per recommendation from a friend to do a Gapless bridge for each. I gave him my gaps and he was like, your gaps are well within modern day OEM standards and recommended I not worry about it at all. Still worrying, but not near as much.

I cannot remember what ring gaps are most important to be larger or smaller than the next. Concentrate your research on gaps in comparison to each other to see how important it is.

My ring gaps too were big and outside the OEM Fiat spec. I had a hard time finding rings that would be one size larger to trim to spec. I considered shipping them to a company in California per recommendation from a friend to do a Gapless bridge for each. I gave him my gaps and he was like, your gaps are well within modern day OEM standards and recommended I not worry about it at all. Still worrying, but not near as much.

I cannot remember what ring gaps are most important to be larger or smaller than the next. Concentrate your research on gaps in comparison to each other to see how important it is.
Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

I've always thought too big was preferable over too small. When the rings are heated they will expand and the gap will close some. If the gap is too tight to begin with, the ring is ends might not have enough room to expand and as a result damage the cylinder wall/or crack the piston.

I think you're right and it probably is. However, I'm pretty sure that's why there's an acceptable range will all the rings giving you a minimum without danger of closing up too much or opening up too much and burning oil or losing compression maybe? Anyhow, sent the numbers to Vic's and they said that they were all within accepted parameters. "Perfect" if I remember correctly? Good enough for us and they are the experts so we're flying with it. Thanks for the response aarpcard, appreciate it as well

Some testing was done by the guys at HotRod Magazine some time back and they played with ring gap on a dyno. Checked crank case pressure and compression after seating. They found negligible difference in all tests and dyno numbers. If I remember correctly they went as large as 0.100 inch gap.

Also, on a side note. The more modern multi piece oil rings are not gapped the same as the old single piece. As the gaps don't align they function similar to a gapless ring and this allows them to run very large gaps while sealing better than before. Just check them to be sure the gaps are at least as large as the stock spec and slap them in.

Some testing was done by the guys at HotRod Magazine some time back and they played with ring gap on a dyno. Checked crank case pressure and compression after seating. They found negligible difference in all tests and dyno numbers. If I remember correctly they went as large as 0.100 inch gap.

Also, on a side note. The more modern multi piece oil rings are not gapped the same as the old single piece. As the gaps don't align they function similar to a gapless ring and this allows them to run very large gaps while sealing better than before. Just check them to be sure the gaps are at least as large as the stock spec and slap them in.
Thank you Andrew! That is good news to hear for both the OP and I! I did run into threads on the interwebs that hinted at exactly that. Do you have a link to the actual article?

Back