Roobus's K20A2-Powered LBZ on BaT

Indeed! Same as VR6, both 12V and 24V. It seems to me like a pointless idea. The timing chain takes up the same space regardless of where it is located. The only advantage that I can see is that the cam chainwheels are allowed to hang over the trans instead of hanging out toward the fender. It does, however, allow the stealership to charge more hours.

Okay....pardon my ignorance....but does that mean you have to remove at least the transmission to be able to change the timing chain ?? :rolleyes:

Okay....pardon my ignorance....but does that mean you have to remove at least the transmission to be able to change the timing chain ?? :rolleyes:

Yes... :mad: Not amusing at all was my thought. The VR has a positively goofy timing chain system. It got far worse on the rear timing chain B6 Audi S4 V8. I hope that they learned from their stupidity on the 07K.

Well........if you wish hard enough....and look around enough.......miracles can happen.......yup.......

Yeah......I think that 07K Vw engine has a bore of 82.5mm........5 of those is about 16.25". Add on bore spacing, end spacing, space for timing chain or belt, pulleys, etc....and you gotta be way over the Fiat's 18" total engine length.........Hope that VW tranny is real short........
I'd be skeptical. I think it was designed to hold torque of a VR6 on full boil, as well. So, I'm guessing it's big

A REAR timing chain ?? That must be fun to change........
"It's an AUDI thing". That 4.2 V8 was bullet-proof-- until they went VVT-- and then decided it wasn't complicated enough yet so they moved the timing apparatus (shrapnel in waiting) to the arse end of the engine. Fun ensued.

Indeed! Same as VR6, both 12V and 24V. It seems to me like a pointless idea. The timing chain takes up the same space regardless of where it is located. The only advantage that I can see is that the cam chainwheels are allowed to hang over the trans instead of hanging out toward the fender. It does, however, allow the stealership to charge more hours.
Audi started it with the "nose heavy" concerns. CoG moved back like 10mm for all their hard work to screw up the timing system

Well........if you wish hard enough....and look around enough.......miracles can happen.......yup.......

Yeah......I think that 07K Vw engine has a bore of 82.5mm........5 of those is about 16.25". Add on bore spacing, end spacing, space for timing chain or belt, pulleys, etc....and you gotta be way over the Fiat's 18" total engine length.........Hope that VW tranny is real short........
Folks seem to forget that one of our members is in the process of shifting that exact engine and transmission combo into an X up in Canada.

He is optimistic about it fitting.

It is a great engine, it pulls even a heavy car such as a Passat like a freight train. I was impressed and the sound was great.

It is a great engine, it pulls even a heavy car such as a Passat like a freight train. I was impressed and the sound was great.

07K in a Passat? I'm not as in the loop on these things as I used to be, but I don't think VW ever did that.

This car finished at $10k. That's a respectable number for an unfinished car.

Agreed. It was a bit more than I wanted to put into it, given the number of "unfinished, but with potential" cars I have sitting around already.
But I'm glad to see he had multiple other bidders clearly serious about pursuing it.
I'm sure he had considerable investment in the car, but at least the suitors all seemed to understand the hurdles to finishing it up. So it was indeed a respectable outcome.

IGTS is Celica GTS? I don't know F23 and F40, except the obvious F40, and I know you don't have one of those transmissions. o_O

Yes, on GTS, BTW. That (And the Matrix XRS) was the chassis that got the high-revving, Yamaha-co-developed 2ZZ-GE engine from Toyota.
Those were built with a lot of 6MT (Aisin?) gearboxes. Block and transmission are reasonably compact.

F23, F35 and F40 are various GM transverse, FWD transmissions that fell out of the family tree. The F23 was the stock Cobalt transmission, (Saab derived?), F35 came in the ION Redline/CobSS forced injection 2.0s. F40 had a common bellhousing set-up, high torque handling and got used in larger cars like the Buick Regal Turbo with 260HP-- and V6 Pontiacs.

I should drag examples of each out and take some pictures next to each other. The F23 is the smallest of the bunch, but probably stronger than the F35 (weak link). F40s are being used in 500-600HP kit cars, so is in a different class. And, huge.

I cling to the hope that that F23 fits in an X1/9-- but could well be wrong.

F23, F35 and F40 are various GM transverse, FWD transmissions that fell out of the family tree. The F23 was the stock Cobalt transmission, (Saab derived?), F35 came in the ION Redline/CobSS forced injection 2.0s. F40 had a common bellhousing set-up, high torque handling and got used in larger cars like the Buick Regal Turbo with 260HP-- and V6 Pontiacs.

I should drag examples of each out and take some pictures next to each other. The F23 is the smallest of the bunch, but probably stronger than the F35 (weak link). F40s are being used in 500-600HP kit cars, so is in a different class. And, huge.
There are people fitting the F40 up to the transverse LS that they used to put in the Impala.

Yes, on GTS, BTW. That (And the Matrix XRS) was the chassis that got the high-revving, Yamaha-co-developed 2ZZ-GE engine from Toyota.
Those were built with a lot of 6MT (Aisin?) gearboxes. Block and transmission are reasonably compact.

I'm familiar with those. Uncharacteristic of Toyota, the engines were built without much headroom for abuse. The bottom end is not "boringly overbuilt" the way I am accustomed to seeing Toyotas done. The oil pump is apparently sensitive, and the engine must be kept in fresh oil. The clutch is only adequate for stock power. I don't know much about the trans.

With all that said, I drove a 2ZZ swapped third gen MR2 (the convertible-only hairdresser's one) that belonged to a friend and enjoyed the experience. The driving experience was not unlike driving a K swapped X, albeit with a bit less power and probably 200lb extra weight.

The one I have out at the shop on the pallet is from a Jetta, IIRC.
Don't know about the Passat.

I'm almost positive that the 07K was not an option in the Passat. As far as I know, VAG never turned the 07K longitudinal. Look at my screenname. I would have known. :) For me and my automotive activities back then, it sure would have been nice if they had.

Passats (longitudinal post-B4 ones) got 1.8Ts, 2.0Ts, 30V V6s, 30v TT v6S.

I'm almost positive that the 07K was not an option in the Passat. As far as I know, VAG never turned the 07K longitudinal. Look at my screenname. I would have known. :) For me and my automotive activities back then, it sure would have been nice if they had.

Passats (longitudinal post-B4 ones) got 1.8Ts, 2.0Ts, 30V V6s, 30v TT v6S.
Are Porsche the only ones that did a longitudinal VR6?
I was thinking the VW flavors were all transverse.

The world would be a better place with a 3.2L VR6 in alloy, and a good North-South transmission set-up.

Are Porsche the only ones that did a longitudinal VR6?
I was thinking the VW flavors were all transverse.

The world would be a better place with a 3.2L VR6 in alloy, and a good North-South transmission set-up.

I think the Tiguan had a longitudinal VR. Oh yes, an aluminum block VR would be super!

Back