Rust bucket or not

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by iambhooper, Jun 8, 2018.

1. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

[​IMG]

I know some of you have seen this. What do you think, salvageable or not? It needs at least a hood and fender. I do not like major body work.
    Thanks!

2. dragonsgate

dragonsgate True Classic

There is probably deeper corrosion than what you see but to fix it all it takes is skill, ambition and MONEY. Oh and tools for DIY. Or a lot of money and someone else with the skill and tools.

iambhooper likes this.
  3. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I think you answered your own question.

4. Rod Midkiff

Rod Midkiff True Classic

If the damage is limited to just the fender I have seen replacement fenders.

But even with Rust like that, you can still enjoy the car, maybe do something cheap, simple to make it hidden. then drive the snot out of it and enjoy it!

dragonsgate and iambhooper like this.
  5. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

I agree with all... from what I've seen so far the rust is in the right fender, hood and possibly the cowling. If the cowling has rot, and or there is major structure damage, then this is a no go. If that's it, then Imaybe probably on board with the project.

6. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

Are you looking to buy it? Grab the silver one that toofast has for sale and never look back. This one looks like it probably has a lot of cancer in it.

iambhooper likes this.
  7. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

Dont have 11g!

i have more pics of the yellow car, if i can figure out how to post them i will.

8. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

I would still keep looking for a better body. Rust just depresses me.

lookforjoe, mkmini and iambhooper like this.
  9. Daniel Forest

Daniel Forest True Classic

IMHO, this is a part car. Even if you do everything yourself, your car will not Worth much more than what you invested in. As usual: find the best one you could afford. If your budget is not 11k, then follow your budget, but don't buy a rust bucket.

10. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

And me as well. There is rust in the cowl, on the window frame and in the corner of the trunk over the right rear tail light.

11. dragonsgate

dragonsgate True Classic

You can do some amazing things with bondo and some cool graphics with rattle cans.

11 Grand can be hard to cough up at one time but to do the yellow car close to right it will be all of that or more. You will just be doling it out a bit at a time.

15-20 years ago a car like that wouldn't scare me.

12. kmead

kmead True Classic

Rust in the rocker, as it shows below the fender is major work to repair. And that is only what you can directly see.

I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole except as a parts car.

Bondo is not repair. Bondo is plastic filler that will not stop the rust, repair the rust, is not structural and will likely propagate further rust.

If you don’t do body work this is not a car for you. There are plenty of much better cars for not much more money.

Follow the adage of buying the best car you can, that doesn’t mean buying the most expensive car, it means the one you can afford. Take it from me, a classic car sitting in your garage in pieces is not much fun. Buying a project means you won’t be driving that project for some time.

lookforjoe and Rodger like this.
  13. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

Karl, I agree with what your saying. If you saw the drivers side of this car, it looks entirely different!

And for the record, I have an 87 CRx have been restomoding for 18 months....totally apart in my shop!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  14. dragonsgate

dragonsgate True Classic

Wasn't saying body filler was the right way, just a fast temp so it will look half way decent while you are, in Rod's words "driving the snot out of it".

15. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

I'm guessing there is no way to post photos without a url?

16. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

If the pictures are stored locally on your device, you can upload them directly to xweb with the "upload a file " button.

17. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

It looks worse than my did, I wouldn't start on mine chassis if would knew how much rust is hidden, and definitely not on this one.
    In final You could invest same amount as silver one, but it still wouldn't be so excellent.

18. iambhooper

iambhooper Daily Driver

okay, here are a few of the pics i have...both good and bad. You can see whats attractive about this car!

Attached Files:

19. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

I don't know how yellow car looks in hidden areas, what I see is same and more rust in visible areas than mine did when I got it, what I found on mine after You can see on first pages of my thread, link below. Make Your conclusions..
    https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/1981-x1-9-uno-turbo.31207/

20. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

The pics are only (tiny) thumbnails when clicked on, so no detail can be seen. I hate rust. I don't like doing bodywork either. Since these fenders are not bolt on, cutting them off, and repairing the inner fender and probably rocker are significant work. Windshield frame is major work, IMO. Unless it's dirt cheap, I would agree better to look for something else.