Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

I think I may have a decent used one in a Fiat parts lot that I just hauled home. There's 3 pick-up trucks loads of stuff I have to sort through, so it may take me a few days to find it.
Thank you Jeff. I have ordered one up, so please do not dig through it for me. I sure appreciate it though!

Hard to believe, but this is significant progress. That fender was kinda mangled. Now mainly working under the front bumper.

IMG_1452.JPG

I have heard you should wet your car down before a photo shoot to make it look even more sexy. Well, feast your eyes on THIS!

IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG

Oh yeah! Now, you all that have spiders that look better than this (and that means all of you who have one), go take your car for a drive!

Since I am sick of bondo-ing, I decide to spray paint the inside of the deck lid in preparation of being bolted to the car. Broke out my spray gun. A few pieces of stuff blew onto it, but overall I think it looks pretty good.

IMG_1465.JPG

As I slowly rebuild the front end under the bumper, I have also been working down the passenger side. Front fender is almost done, just touching up, the door is getting there (you can see where I shot some paint just for the heck of it), and the quarter needs very little more. Seems never ending. Oh, and the new decklid is bolted down. So, my rough calculations right now are as follows: topside sheetmetal replaced: 35%. Bottomside: 70%.

IMG_1477.JPG

Coming soon! Interior repair!
IMG_1478.JPG

And here is my new fan blade and fuel pump. Time to really get it running!
IMG_1481.JPG

"Hey, the front fender is done!" Guess again. Hit it with the long board and fine grit, and a few teeny-weeny issues showed up. Spot putty and sand tomorrow. Rear fender is getting the same treatment, and the door is very close. Notice how the shallow dent just keeps extending just a little into the middle of the door. Super thin layer of filler there, but the dent has continued!

IMG_1497.JPG

Ya think it is looking good, then you wait for the sun to set low. Then you end up with another round of this. 95% of this is just smoothing out scratches or minor bondo defects. The other 5% is for my "oops" moments. Having said that, it is pretty neat seeing the body lines reappearing from rust and crappy paint! Sand this down tomorrow and see if I can catch any other errors with one more pass. I think I will have to call it "ok" after that and move on.

IMG_1506.JPG

Daniel, do you have a repair planned for the crack in the dash (yet)? I have issues with 2 cars and little idea on repairs.

Daniel, do you have a repair planned for the crack in the dash (yet)? I have issues with 2 cars and little idea on repairs.

Hi Jeff! I have thought about it a little. My initial thought was "screw it, and just go enjoy the car". I have seen some with custom vinyl or leather covers, and I was considering doing that. Or just pay "Just Dashes" $1500 or whatever and let them do it. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

If I do anything, it will involve me with a roll of vinyl and glue. Please let me know what you end up doing!

Rear fender is done. Bashing and bondo started in decklid and restarted on rear panel. I thought the door was done, so I was going to show my daughter how to use the longboard to just polish it out. "Hey Dad, why won't this area smooth out?". Um...maybe because dear old dad missed a low spot. Or two. Almost there!

IMG_1517.JPG

Hi Jeff! I have thought about it a little. My initial thought was "screw it, and just go enjoy the car". I have seen some with custom vinyl or leather covers, and I was considering doing that. Or just pay "Just Dashes" $1500 or whatever and let them do it. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

If I do anything, it will involve me with a roll of vinyl and glue. Please let me know what you end up doing!
I did one using spray foam to fill the cracks, a lot of sanding then painting with SEM wrinkle paint. Came out acceptable.

Back