Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Ok, so I got the pump off, and the fan back on correctly (I think). Not any info on getting it off and on that concentric shaft-thingie.
Now my question: since I have the pump off, is there someone I can send it to to get it rebuilt? Odds are it is going to leak.

Oh, and I found a spot on the hood that I missed. Minor detour to body-work land.

Argh! The weather is not cooperating! I am ready to do the final sand and paint this thing, and rain and cold all week is not helping! Maybe I will get a break tomorrow or Friday.

Ok, tomorrow is the day! Supposed to be warm enough, so I got the car taped off, and just need to cover the tailpipe and wheels. I found a few more minor areas that I am touching up with spot putty. Final sand tomorrow, clean and paint! It may look like crap, but is is going to be lemon-green again!

IMG_1731.JPG

Your hundred dollar paint job looks like a million bucks from here! I've got to say that when you first posted this project 6 months ago, I had no idea that you could bring that hulk back to life and make it look pretty in such a short period of time. Nice job, Daniel.

Your hundred dollar paint job looks like a million bucks from here! I've got to say that when you first posted this project 6 months ago, I had no idea that you could bring that hulk back to life and make it look pretty in such a short period of time. Nice job, Daniel.
Thank you very much! After I was done, I went out and looked at it, and even I had a hard time believing it was the same car!

Since it will be several days before I can start fixing the myriad mistakes I made on the paint, and before I work on the engine again, it is time to turn to the top! Below is the frame, and yes, that picture is upside down. Basically pretty good, except for that big rust hole you can see on the header. Back to welding again!

IMG_1752.JPG

And I could not resist showing it off with the tape and wheel masking off. ;)
IMG_1753.JPG

Car looks great, really like the color. I had a hole in the top bar like your first picture but luckily none of that Swiss cheese shown in the bottom photo.

Ok, I decided I was gonna get this fixed tonight. So, I did my usual mediocre job of fabricating a few pieces to fit in where the rusted metal is/was. My repair might make the top sit up a little higher on the windshield, but not much. Paint it and call it a day.
IMG_1757.JPG

Here is the big hole.
IMG_1758.JPG

Cut out and ready to make a new piece. See how I had to drill the holes out on the latch on that side. Still need to finish that
IMG_1759.JPG

And here is my patch. Forgot to get a pic of the welds, but you can imagine how they looked. Top frame repairs I believe are done.
IMG_1760.JPG

Back