Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Top frame ready for action!

IMG_1769.JPG

Bought a pair of 93 Miata seats today for $120. I thought that was reasonable. A bit faded and dirty, but that is no problem.

IMG_1781.JPG

They fit well! I need to tweak the mounts so that it sits a bit lower, but I think we are in business!
IMG_1780.JPG

The seats look pretty nice from here. People have fit them into X1/9s in the past. I wanted to try it, but I never saw a set for $120. :)

Great job and a huge congrats on an amazing amount of work.

Truly making a pearl out of a grain of sand.

We are all impressed.

Thank you. I am having an absolute blast doing it, and sharing it with you all. Who knows, maybe I might get to actually drive it a little bit soon. Still not convinced it is not going to break in half. :)

Yeah, I know I should not be touching it until the paint is hard, it is color sanded and the like. Problem is, I could not resist. After looking at a pile of crap for six months, it is FUN putting on the jewelry. Passenger side bumper could stand a rechrome, but oh well. I justified all this by saying I was working on the electrical...cleaned and tested all lights. Besides, I am not going to color sand down here anyway.

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, and my new top is on the way! Guess I need to order up some rubber. Anybody got a decent set of used top seals you wanna make me a good deal on? ;)

I need some help. I have the owners manual for a 72 spider, but the switch gear is different for a 72. On the 4 toggle switches, it appears that second from left is interior, and the car right is outside lights. What do the other two switches do? Hazard is down below the column, and it actually works. Also, my outside light switch is only on/off. What controls the actual headlights themselves? The 72 shows a three way switch?

Ok, since nothing else would bring on the headlights, I figured it must be the leftmost toggle switch. I see now why it was not working.

IMG_1810.JPG

Let me see if I can put it all together again!

The headlights were a two day battle, but they are working! All the wiring diagrams I have found do not match with this car, so lots of tracing. I was pleasantly surprised that for the most part the harness was in really good shape. Turn signals and brake lights are the major issues to still overcome.

Home paint, with lots of drips and runs, pitted chrome...yup, that's my car! :)

IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG

It will be months before I can sand it at this rate.

Also bought the vinyl and foam I need to build an interior. That should be fun, and very gratifying.
IMG_1833.JPG

One more thing. My daughter was helping me bag up parts when I was disassembling it. Here is how she marked some of the bags.
IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

Back