Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by Daniel Gibson, Apr 30, 2019.
Congratulations, it's been fun following your progress
Interesting strobe effect on the fan blade. At one point I thought it was going to fall off but I guess it was just an illusion.
Wow Daniel!! It looks like a real car!!! Great work.
Of course, the brake started grabbing, and it stalled once the video stopped. No matter!
Its not how it drives its about how it looks and it looks mahvelouss!
Congrats sir, nice job. We are all clapping and cheering for you.
Congratulations on your restoration. It is impressive how you approached it, and how quickly you were able to get it on the road.
Awesome work, Daniel! Congratulations!
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but make sure you car has a grounding strap in place for the engine/tranny. They came with one end that connected to one of the flywheel cover bolts and the other end went to one of the radiator mounting bolts (If I remember correctly). This completes the circuit for your starter and other electrical functions of the engine. You could alternatively connect one end to one of the starter mounting studs and find a better location on the chassis if yours isn't in place.
Interesting that you should mention the grounding strap. I was checking the alternator for functionality, and I did have to tighten the strap up a bit. That, and cleaning off some more connections got it charging a treat!
Nice to see it driving! What was the final fuel tank solution?
I ended up going with the rusted out tank from the junkyard car. Muratic acid is da bomb for getting a rusted out tank cleaned up. It was shiny inside within minutes. The wasps did not like it either. Then it was lots of brazing, and finally a coat of red-kote tank sealant. So far so good...the filters are clean!
On a side note...my wife surprised me with a pair of Fiat-colored Italian-American driving shoes today!
Now you're "really" stylin Dan, a la "La Dolce Vita"
Welp, in all the excitement of getting the car running, I forgot all about the horn! Tried it today, and of course it did not work. I could hear the relay clicking, which is a good sign. Power was getting to the horn, but even with a good ground, nothing. Off it comes!
Once I opened it up, it looked fine, with good continuity. So I just jiggled the points a bit, put it back together, and a hooting we did go! Back on the car, and it works fine. Not all the su systems are quite right yet, but they are getting there.
It figures...I get the idle more or less right, timing is set, car is ready to roll, and there is nowhere to take it!
Just get out there Daniel. I wish I could. We have had "gulley washer" rains multiple days this week, so that is a good sign that the salt free driving season will eventually emerge. I can do my social distancing by driving alone thru the local twisties.
On a side note, I played tennis this morning with my usual doubles buddies. The government required social distancing really opened up the hitting lanes.
You can always fix the second horn, there are two, or make sure all the other electricals are working. Take her for a spin around the neighborhood.
Here we are in the middle of a beautiful spring! I am waiting for the insurance company to get back to me on getting the fiat covered, then it is time for some real test drives. Since the dmv is closed down, I guess I will just stick those 1970 plates on it for now.
Look what I got! I think I am going to paint it blue.
It is time to get this thing on the road!
Separate names with a comma.