Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Ok, now you all know I am ok with re-using old stuff as much as possible, but even I draw the line somewhere. Maybe the PO should have replaced this. I dunno, but I did, and that got me back in business.
View attachment 29799

Some basic tuning of the carb, and here we are! A running engine!

Sounds pretty sweet! And no more mouse nests blowing out! Time to hook back up that overflow tank I fixed. And maybe...just maybe sneak it out for a test drive.
Interesting strobe effect on the fan blade. At one point I thought it was going to fall off but I guess it was just an illusion.

Its not how it drives its about how it looks and it looks mahvelouss!

Congrats sir, nice job. We are all clapping and cheering for you.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but make sure you car has a grounding strap in place for the engine/tranny. They came with one end that connected to one of the flywheel cover bolts and the other end went to one of the radiator mounting bolts (If I remember correctly). This completes the circuit for your starter and other electrical functions of the engine. You could alternatively connect one end to one of the starter mounting studs and find a better location on the chassis if yours isn't in place.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but make sure you car has a grounding strap in place for the engine/tranny. They came with one end that connected to one of the flywheel cover bolts and the other end went to one of the radiator mounting bolts (If I remember correctly). This completes the circuit for your starter and other electrical functions of the engine. You could alternatively connect one end to one of the starter mounting studs and find a better location on the chassis if yours isn't in place.
Interesting that you should mention the grounding strap. I was checking the alternator for functionality, and I did have to tighten the strap up a bit. That, and cleaning off some more connections got it charging a treat!

Nice to see it driving! What was the final fuel tank solution?
I ended up going with the rusted out tank from the junkyard car. Muratic acid is da bomb for getting a rusted out tank cleaned up. It was shiny inside within minutes. The wasps did not like it either. Then it was lots of brazing, and finally a coat of red-kote tank sealant. So far so good...the filters are clean!

On a side note...my wife surprised me with a pair of Fiat-colored Italian-American driving shoes today!
31181463-1034-4B5C-BEDE-A5EF057C2C12.jpeg

Welp, in all the excitement of getting the car running, I forgot all about the horn! Tried it today, and of course it did not work. I could hear the relay clicking, which is a good sign. Power was getting to the horn, but even with a good ground, nothing. Off it comes!
08197839-E243-4D51-8F7B-D77AE98B5BDA.jpeg

Once I opened it up, it looked fine, with good continuity. So I just jiggled the points a bit, put it back together, and a hooting we did go! Back on the car, and it works fine. Not all the su systems are quite right yet, but they are getting there.

Just get out there Daniel. I wish I could. We have had "gulley washer" rains multiple days this week, so that is a good sign that the salt free driving season will eventually emerge. I can do my social distancing by driving alone thru the local twisties. :)

On a side note, I played tennis this morning with my usual doubles buddies. The government required social distancing really opened up the hitting lanes. :p:D

Here we are in the middle of a beautiful spring! I am waiting for the insurance company to get back to me on getting the fiat covered, then it is time for some real test drives. Since the dmv is closed down, I guess I will just stick those 1970 plates on it for now.

Look what I got! I think I am going to paint it blue.
416C92CD-7B81-4849-B116-106D89E3BD82.jpeg

It is time to get this thing on the road!

Back