Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

But nearly as many seats as a bus.:D

1607692748664.png

That convertible top cover panel is likely ruined now. :(
So are the front fenders. I’ve heard it was a real problem at dealerships in the early days. Convenient height and the fact that the sheet metal was a little thinner than in American Iron.

I am not sure how this landed in my car thread, but I can go with it. Look carefully at how they are seated. The girls in front are seated near the hood, so it is stronger than the middle of the fender. And the guys in the back are seated not directly on the back panel, but half on and half on the fenders. And the middle guy is seated right on the gas tank area. The car probably was just fine.

07DFD227-9714-44EC-95F9-19891F185F7A.jpeg

It was a cool but nice day yesterday, so time for a wash, polish and drive with the top down. Hard to believe it is almost two years since I started on this car. For the most part, things are holding up well, but here is a list of things to do this spring:
Re-glue some of the vinyl pieces. The so-called “premium glue” did not hold, so it is e-6000 time.
Do the dash. I hesitate to pull out all the gauges and the like, as I know something is going to break, but I need to get it looking better.
Maybe fix the heater while the dash is out. It is leaking somewhere, and I am not sure I care.
Maybe install a tonneau. Does anyone have details on who sells them?
I am thinking about getting the bumpers rechromed. They kinda let the car down a bit.

There are a few places where the bodywork is failing a bit, but I kinda expected that. Still looks decent polished up, although I must admit that Valspar enamel does not hold up to the sun all that great. Oh well, for a 50 dollar paint job I cannot complain.

And I just need to drive the darn thing and work out any remaining kinks!

Back from it’s first car show! Ran like a champ...just did not want to start at the car show. It appears that my alternator has stopped alternating. Time to find a rebuild shop. May have them do the starter at the same time. Anyone have a cheap dead starter? Might as well get two done and have a backup.

Oh, not a lot of cars there, but quite a few lookers at it. I think it fell into the category of “oh look, there is something that is not a corvette or a tri-five Chevy. Let’s look”.

Attachments

• 17B185D9-B4F6-4BD3-9D12-EFD68D5DFA85.jpeg
    17B185D9-B4F6-4BD3-9D12-EFD68D5DFA85.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 94
Back from it’s first car show! Ran like a champ...just did not want to start at the car show. It appears that my alternator has stopped alternating. Time to find a rebuild shop. May have them do the starter at the same time. Anyone have a cheap dead starter? Might as well get two done and have a backup.

Oh, not a lot of cars there, but quite a few lookers at it. I think it fell into the category of “oh look, there is something that is not a corvette or a tri-five Chevy. Let’s look”.

If you haven't cleaned up all of the alternator wiring connections it might be worth a try. My '72 just needed a good cleaning and it worked fine after that.
Same with the starter, but if you are going to rebuild 2 starters just go for a gear drive instead.

As stated by Gene Cooley GO FOR THE REDUCTION STARTER! You can get one new on eBay for around $200 and they are well worth the expense. The center stud for mounting the unit MAY need trimming in order to fit the nut. If the radiator is out it's easy. I actually ground down a 13mm open end wrench to narrow the opposing sides and shortened it so as to be able to tighten/loosen this nut. Final modification was to slightly shorten the stud where it tapers to a point. My starter may have a thicker than normal mounting base though.

So, what does YOUR voltage regulator fuse look like? Mine, not so good. Got this mess cleaned up, but still not working right. My field relay is in terrible shape, with corrosion and the cardboard base falling apart. Got a new one on order. Like I said before, fix the things I missed the first time around.

Attachments

• E9DD4627-7C67-4F04-A94E-B11185804581.jpeg
    E9DD4627-7C67-4F04-A94E-B11185804581.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 3963A810-A328-4700-904E-A2E4A376C2D9.jpeg
    3963A810-A328-4700-904E-A2E4A376C2D9.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 93
Hi gang. I need your smarts. I have the replacement alternator field coil relay, but my old one is so gross, I cannot read the numbers. Based on a wiring diagram I have found, I think I have them labeled correctly, but I would appreciate some other eyes on it. Thanks!

Attachments

• B4F20E5F-0510-457F-99D1-D03DFCA0F496.jpeg
    B4F20E5F-0510-457F-99D1-D03DFCA0F496.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 92
Back