Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

When I was thinking about grabbing an 850 project, I considered incorporating some headlights from an early (new style) mini cooper (2000-2008? maybe). They seem to be plentiful and would mimic the early enclosed style with better light to boot. Just an idea as you seem pretty handy with the cutwheel and welder...;)

Last edited:
When I was thinking about grabbing an 850 project, I considered incorporating some headlights from an early (new style) mini cooper (2000-2008? maybe). They seem to be plentiful and would mimic the early enclosed style with better light to boot. Just an idea as you seem pretty handy with the cutwheel and welder...;)
Let me look at them and see what I think!

Got out to work on the car this afternoon, and here comes a thunderstorm! Did get some time in on it though. Here is the trial fitment of the first floorboard piece. Kinda had to bash it into the corners. Also, my x frame sits a quarter inch lower than the floor, so plans have changed. I am going to follow fiats lead and only attach the floorboard in certain places. I figure two attachment points per piece per x frame will make it nice and solid. Still have a way to go on this part still. Lots of cogitating going on.

IMG_0595.JPG

Last edited:
After staring at it for a while, I decided to tweak (bang on) it a little and weld it in. It will work just fine, but I am going to not wrap the sides up on the rest of the floor. There are just too many curves and hills for it to work with the tools I have.

IMG_0598.JPG

So since the floor pan will be "drop in" and welded to the surrounding metal, I need to repair a few more chunks. Here is the first path up on the passenger footwell. You can see on the left where the remaining patch will go.
IMG_0599.JPG

I am ashamed of how lousy my welds look, but they do hold up to my testing them with hammer blows!

Tomorrow I hope to fit in another piece of floorboard. Going to do it in three pieces per side. Not worried about the floor being flat for the passenger...who is going to be brave enough to ride with me anyway!

Hey, it has some non-rotted floor again! Woohoo!

I haven't played around with a welder yet, but it's on my to-do list to get proficient at it (at least for shade-tree work). Thanks for the info on what you're using.

I haven't played around with a welder yet, but it's on my to-do list to get proficient at it (at least for shade-tree work). Thanks for the info on what you're using.
I am pretty sure you can get a better one than this, but a grinder is the great equalizer. Good fortune!

That’s not a bad welder and welds look fine. I asked because I had cheap one and just never got better, then I bought a Lincoln and it made a world of difference. The cheap ones just don’t seem to provide consistency. With the Lincoln I can lay a nice bead.

Part 2 of the pan is in. I also welded in the small curved lip I needed to attach the remaining chunk of floor pan. It seems like slow going, but I always underestimate how long it takes to measure and cut the metal, and then drill holes for welding. But I am getting there!

IMG_0601.JPG

Now I do have some questions for y'all. First, does anyone have a service manual they can sell inexpensively? Haynes or a Chiltons would be fine. Also, is anyone else here from Texas or close that might have a set of wheels that would work on this? These are totally shot. Lastly, do you all like the daily updates, or would you prefer just one post when, for example, the floor is all done? Y'all have been very supportive, and I do not want to wear out my welcome.

Lastly, do you all like the daily updates, or would you prefer just one post when, for example, the floor is all done? Y'all have been very supportive, and I do not want to wear out my welcome.

Daniel,

This is your thread. Update with whatever level of detail you feel like providing. The folks that enjoy build threads (like me) will click in regularly and everyone else will either ignore you or check in periodically for updates. The more updates you provide, the more value the thread may hold for you in the future. Like when you are trying to remember the last place you left your 13mm wrench and you can come here and see what pictures it is in for hints. :p:D

Part 2 of the pan is in. I also welded in the small curved lip I needed to attach the remaining chunk of floor pan. It seems like slow going, but I always underestimate how long it takes to measure and cut the metal, and then drill holes for welding. But I am getting there!

View attachment 22531

Now I do have some questions for y'all. First, does anyone have a service manual they can sell inexpensively? Haynes or a Chiltons would be fine. Also, is anyone else here from Texas or close that might have a set of wheels that would work on this? These are totally shot. Lastly, do you all like the daily updates, or would you prefer just one post when, for example, the floor is all done? Y'all have been very supportive, and I do not want to wear out my welcome.
I like seeing all the posts. It’s kind of like doing an arm chair restoration when I’m not involved with one myself. As Jim said those that don’t care won’t look, the rest of us enjoy it.

I have a photocopied factory service manual that I would ship to you for cost with one stipulation, if you give up on the build you would return it.
Sorry to mention it but I’ve seen many of these build threads simply disappear and I fully understand that because I’ve almost given up on a couple of builds myself. It takes a lot of perseverance to see a build to the end.
Keep at it. In the end, even many years later, there is great satisfaction in looking back and saying
“I did that” sometimes I go through an old thread or pictures to remind myself of what’s been accomplished.

Yeah, what they said. Resurrections like this aren't done because they make sense, but rather for other more interesting reasons. I'm glad you're doing this and posting it. Best wishes!

I like seeing all the posts. It’s kind of like doing an arm chair restoration when I’m not involved with one myself. As Jim said those that don’t care won’t look, the rest of us enjoy it.

I have a photocopied factory service manual that I would ship to you for cost with one stipulation, if you give up on the build you would return it.
Sorry to mention it but I’ve seen many of these build threads simply disappear and I fully understand that because I’ve almost given up on a couple of builds myself. It takes a lot of perseverance to see a build to the end.
Keep at it. In the end, even many years later, there is great satisfaction in looking back and saying
“I did that” sometimes I go through an old thread or pictures to remind myself of what’s been accomplished.

Well, I don't give up too easy. Here is a Javelin I did a few years ago. It was not as rough as this fiat, but still a challenge. http://theamcforum.com/forum/1970-javelin-fix-up_topic44753_page1.html

I appreciate the offer on the manual. I only hesitate to take you up in it, as I cannot predict what will happen down the road, and I would not like to leave you feeling like you got gypped.

One side done! It looks so simple sitting there, but is sure seemed (seamed?) like a lot of work.

IMG_0607.JPG

Oh, and check this out...krylon carries a color called "gloss lime green". It looks pretty close. Definitely good enough for the floors.

IMG_0606.JPG

I will clean it up and get this side painted tomorrow. Then...drivers side!

Back