Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

So I have almost got the carb set up right, and the fuel pump decides to start pumping fuel all over the muffler. Grrrrr…..had all of 75 miles on it from brand new. A new one has been purchased and installed, but these look super easy to rebuild. I have not found a source for the rubber piece yet. Has anyone ever just just a piece of neoprene to fit? Any sources recommended?
View attachment 71334
Sounds like the issue we have with Corvair mechanical fuel pumps - their diaphragm and ethanol don’t mix and the “new” pumps fail within weeks… at least yours didn’t dump into the crankcase like a Corvair (or catch fire on hot exhaust)

Really enjoying this series, btw and will apply a lot to my 1970 restoration… guess I need to learn to weld.

Last edited:
Sounds like the issue we have with Corvair mechanical fuel pumps - their diaphragm and ethanol don’t mix and the “new” pumps fail within weeks… at least yours didn’t dump into the crankcase like a Corvair (or catch fire on hot exhaust)

Really enjoying this series, btw and will apply a lot to my 1970 restoration… guess I need to learn to weld.
Yes, you do have some welding ahead of you. You can also probably fix that top frame, but take my advice…start looking for a new front bonnet now….that one has had it.

Last edited:
Quick update on the new carb….it ran pretty good on the 32/36 right out of the box, but it was putting in just enough gas to foul the plugs. So I put in the original main jets out of the DIC carb, and that helped tremendously. I think at least for now the carb issues are resolved. Now to hook up an air cleaner.

So this is what it is like to have an 850 that starts and runs correctly. Nice! I hope everyone else has a chance to get out and drive their little car this weekend.
86B789F7-741C-46E8-994E-C8B2E11DAB38.png

My favorite view of the car. :)

Well, today my Fiat journey ended. It went home with a nice young man who drove off in it far more fearlessly than I ever did! Thanks to all of you who have added far more to the fun I had with this car than I can express. Now time to consider the next project. Hmmmm….
BAE3DDAE-4A5F-4AD5-8137-D97369365B8E.jpeg

Adios Spider!

Well, today my Fiat journey ended. It went home with a nice young man who drove off in it far more fearlessly than I ever did! Thanks to all of you who have added far more to the fun I had with this car than I can express. Now time to consider the next project. Hmmmm….
View attachment 73624
Adios Spider!
That was quite a journey you took us all on with the restoration of that car. Now that you've got Fiats figured out, how about an X for your next project?

Adios Spider!

Thanks for sharing the adventure - it was a blast to watch it. I wonder if the new owner will have to change the side emblems that had your picture in them :)?

I already have a lost cause, but without the tools, knowledge and level non-mud ground to work on it! Thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement with all you have done! So sad to see it go!

Back