Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

This is what I am doing here and on Youtube...

You are where I want to be with my project, but I have some more things to fabricate before the bodywork.
This is what I am doing here and on Youtube...

You are where I want to be with my project, but I have some more things to fabricate before the bodywork.

I just finished your video. Wow! You have big plans for that car. I am just a little envious of how nice and clean your car basically is. Also, your goal is much more ambitious and awesome than mine. When you unveiled that subie engine, my first thought was "no way that can fit". I am very interested in how your project goes. I have subscribed!

I was channeling your efforts yesterday, Daniel - I got the drivetrain out of my 69 parts car 850 sport spider yesterday. I swept up a pile of rust like you have, afterward, as well :)

I hope not to need a lot of these parts with mine, but I thought it was good to pick up spares when I find them. The build date on the parts car is 10/1969.

Great progress on yours, BTW! Keep it up!

Attachments

• 69 parts car_engine trans rear suspension.jpg
    69 parts car_engine trans rear suspension.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
I was channeling your efforts yesterday, Daniel - I got the drivetrain out of my 69 parts car 850 sport spider yesterday. I swept up a pile of rust like you have, afterward, as well :)

I hope not to need a lot of these parts with mine, but I thought it was good to pick up spares when I find them. The build date on the parts car is 10/1969.

Great progress on yours, BTW! Keep it up!
I’ve never see the whole rear sub assembly removed as one unit. Nice

I’ve never see the whole rear sub assembly removed as one unit. Nice

I need to get this rusty shell of the parts car out of here ASAP, and I thought it easiest just to drop as much together as possible :)

Next step is to drop the front suspension. I dropped the rear sub-assembly onto a small moving dolly from Harbor Freight so I could roll it around, and I'll try and do the same with the front.

If you're going to be putting it back into the same vehicle, it is likely not the preferred route. There were things I didn't have to worry about since I was only interested in the parts, so I cut connections I knew I wouldn't need (brake lines, etc.) that would have to be carefully disconnected instead if the vehicle was being kept.

Still, to get all this out, it's: 3 bolts for each of the upper shock mounts, the 2 bolts each side for the rear control arms, the 4 bolts for the swaybar bushing mounts, the two bolts at the transmission mounts and the rear engine mounting bolt and that's it (I think I remembered it all). Of course, there are hoses, connectors, the shift linkage, and everything else to remove to get it all free of the vehicle.

Last edited:
As do we...

Nice job getting to here. How do you intend to deal with the surface rust and eventual repaint

After I get it running and I feel it will not break in half right away, I will have to hit the whole thing with rough sandpaper to clean off all the crap. That will also hopefully show me all of my remaining bodywork I have to do. After that is done I plan on simply rolling it into the garage and breaking out the compressor and paint gun. Not all cars deserve a $8k paint job, and this is one of them. More like 150 buck single stage paint job. Heck, if krylon comes back to me that they will sell me this citrus color in a quart, I just might paint it with a roller. I did that with my daughters Pacer and a Messerschmitt one time, and it turned out pretty good.

:snip: Next step is to drop the front suspension. :snip:
Just to wrap my disassembly: I removed the front suspension last night, got a few salvageable bits out of the dash and now I just need to have the shell hauled away.

Attachments

• 69 parts car_front suspension.jpg
    69 parts car_front suspension.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 69 parts car_final.JPG
    69 parts car_final.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Just to wrap my disassembly: I removed the front suspension last night, got a few salvageable bits out of the dash and now I just need to have the shell hauled away.
I can’t really tell from the picture but would the windshield gasket be worth saving? The stainless definitely would.

I can’t really tell from the picture but would the windshield gasket be worth saving? The stainless definitely would.
I thought about pulling the stainless from windshield gasket - I can still do that - there is one ding in it at the bottom left (driver's) corner. And then I can see about saving the gasket, too, if it's not cracked. Oh, and I need to remove the Fiat badge from the engine lid, yet (I soaked those nuts in PB blaster last night already, so hopefully the studs don't snap off).

*update* I was able to remove the stainless gasket trim, the engine lid Fiat badge and a couple other last small bits before the scrappers arrived. The windshield gasket was too far gone, though (dry rotted and cracked).

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Daniel Gibson

BTW....how do you knock out a section of the x frame?[/QUOTE]

Came that way when I bought it. Looks like it hit something small but rather solid.

Back