Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Daniel Gibson

True Classic
Hi all. I am in the process of trying to bring a carcass of a car back to life. Dunno if I would call it a restoration. I started posting my progress on another forum, but it did not seem to interest them very much. Before I go hog-wild here, is there interest in seeing this kind of work in progress?
Thank
Dan

Last edited:
Yes, we love pictures! Look around, you'll find several build (or rebuild) threads; plenty of not-very-shy comments, too, but we're respectful here.
Welcome!

Yup we are interested. Jeff Stich is likely to chime in as you get things up, he likely knows more about 850s than most anyone. He may also have parts you need. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Absolutely. Can never have too many Fiat restoration threads. Should post some pics now to see where you're at.

Join the fun by all means! This place is one of the holdouts for your type of car. Welcome aboard! I got two Fiats from Irving years ago.

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
Cool. So here we go. I will use the first couple of posts to recap where I am on this project. A couple of months ago I bough this truly rusted out POS 1970 850 Spider. It is a Texas car, which is good, but it had been sitting in a field for at least 20 years, which is bad. The underside is/was completely rotted, and the outside actually has lichen growing on it! Here are the pics of what I brought home.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 208
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0137.JPG 57610823080__E9FB3F1D-0B12-492C-ABB0-FEBBA8B11684.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
57610823080__E9FB3F1D-0B12-492C-ABB0-FEBBA8B11684.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
So I have started by tackling the floor and frame rails. The seats were so rotted they literally fell apart in my hands. Off to the curb with them. I then removed the rotted rubber floor mat and here is what the floor looked like. The x-frame is basically gone.

Daniel,

That is quite the project. Good luck and keep us updated.

Good luck with the project. I'm always impressed by anyone willing to take on a serious rust repair restoration even though I've done it before. I need a tetanus shot just looking at the pics!

IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
Thanks all. I will never be a master welder, but as long as it does not break in half...success! This thing is in terrible shape. My goal is to be able to drive it at least once. No idea about the drivetrain yet except it appears to all be there except the air cleaner.

Anyway, on with the catching up. Got the drivers side floor cut out, and braces welded in on both sides to preclude any collapsing for now. I also cut off the corroded frame rail and welded in angle iron alongside the rocker to reinforce the rocker. The pictures will give you some idea of what I am up to.

I was going to say the paint will probably buff out nice with a little elbow grease. Then I scrolled down a few more photos... :eek:

On the plus side, I don't see collision damage. If you can weld, you can repair it. Just might take a while. :) I would keep your eye out for another spider but one with a better and more easily restorable body.

I recently bought a couple of early 60s 600 bodies. Both had been sitting outside in the PNW rain for decades. One had turned to mostly dust but oddly the front hood is in excellent shape. The other has a really nice body overall. Weird how these rust away in different ways. I sold the good 600 to a guy who builds show cars and had one at SEMA, a Datsun 240Z sponsored by Hot Wheels. Can't wait to see what he does with the 600.

Last edited:
Chances are that if you find a donor car for the X-member it will be better than the one you are starting on.
However, we each make our own decisions on these things. When you get done it will be YOUR car...

Yeah, it sure is my car, as there is no way in heck anyone will want this when I am done! ;)

That one in California looked really nice. I would jump on that, except I have stupidly decided that THIS is the car that I should repair.

Decided to get the rest of the floorboard out tonight. Looks so much better, don't you think? :)

I do have a decision to make. The passengers side has some of the floor support left on the rocker. Have to decide to try and repair and use, or cut it off. Also, you can see what is left of the x frame. It is so rusted and light it might actually float!

IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 211
Back