Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Well, here it is looking as good as new. 24 hour turnaround...not bad. Guy said it was clogged solid and leaky. Total was 80 bucks with the tip. Let us see how it works!

66AB9B97-01F0-4E37-95D2-FD4F4326FE40.png
66AB9B97-01F0-4E37-95D2-FD4F4326FE40.png

Went to put it on, and it turns out they had to bend the left bracket to repair the radiator. Now it is mis-aligned with the fan. Time to take off the water pump, and start figuring out how to bend it back into place. ARGH!

Did they flip the air collector which would offset the opening for the fan left to right?

You might go back for a visit with them, they may just apologize for the error and help you out.

Finally got a break from making Dolly 8 tracks, and got the radiator all hooked up. Fired the car up, and amazingly, it idled very well! No gurgling, snorting, gasping or puking from the radiator either! Thermostat was working correctly, and the temp seemed normal. Amazing! However, I noticed the oil pressure is reading 0. The red light goes out when the engine is started, and stays off, so I am thinking it is the gauge. Take it for a spin tomorrow!

The gauge or the sending unit could be bad. the low oil pressure light really should come one when you turn the key, before your start it. if not the sender for the light could be bad. Really should have a oil pressure gauge.

The gauge or the sending unit could be bad. the low oil pressure light really should come one when you turn the key, before your start it. if not the sender for the light could be bad. Really should have a oil pressure gauge.
The red light does indeed come on, and goes off immediately when the engine is running. I am leaning towards agreeing with you on the gauge.

All cars should have a oil pressure gauge, most do not. Some that have them are fake gauges which actually don’t do anything aside from showing a constant indication when the engine is running (looking at Mazda Miatas after 1999).

You should be able to test either one. I think there is a test procedure in the book for electrical diagnosis for the 850. Coupes don’t have a gauge, just the idiot light so not something I have ever done.

The light goes out at 14 psi. If the gauge reads zero it’s either electrical or the sending unit.
The gauges themselves are pretty reliable (not sure about accurate) but the senders not so much.
The best is a mechanical gauge.
Enjoy that Texas fall weather.

fiat oil pressure sending units notoriously read low when they age. If you replace the unit you will find new oil pressure! the only other thing would be bearing clearance. but I would check the pressure with a mechanical gauge first. 99% of the time it is the fiat gauge error

You might just have a bad wire connection, but if you can get a new sender that might also help to solve the issue. Or if you just drive it some maybe some stuff will start to work.....

Since the car is running very well (took the missus for a drive yesterday), I figured I oughta go back and actually fix up items I passed on originally. I am at the point where I do not need to disconnect the battery constantly, so time to make a new mat for the trunk. The old one is unbelievably rotted. Has this happened to anyone else, or is my car just special? Down to Lowe’s for another
176076BF-7904-4A20-A0BA-FA1287927B81.jpeg

It is just a teeny bit short,

771D8420-FC00-4557-9800-D88009510D56.jpeg

the chunks they be missing!

8423B6A3-C15A-42BF-8849-C72C44B06A8D.jpeg

All done, and not really short at all.

EA84456B-ADEA-45CA-BD2F-68812A349319.jpeg

Boy that looks nice! Bet it adds 5mph to the top end!

So, my wipers have never really worked. If I pushed them along, they would complete a cycle, but begrudgingly. I figured that the motor was weak, and I would need a new one. Well...after watching 850EV’s video on wiper motor repairs, I thought “wait...there is a switch that controls speeds?” See, if all you have access to is the 1972 manual, the wiper speed control has been replaced in 1972 by the dimmer control. So I figured that was a dimmer control. Imagine my surprise when I started twisting away, and voila, wipers! Still a little disgruntled, but it works! Thanks 850EV!

Back