Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Y,know, I think it is pretty obvious that I am enjoying messing about with this little car. However, I must say that the price of parts is almost enough to make me give it up and go back to a spitfire. I need an oil pressure sending unit... but 250 bucks? Everything seems to be about twice as expensive as a British sports car.

Still not cheap but also not $250.

For the above price you could go mechanical with an Autometer gauge . That’s what I did using an adapter and a braided -4AN line. Much more accurate than the Fiat gauge.

Guys, thanks for all the input above regarding the oil pressure sensor. I have a lot to digest.

Now, since I had a spare hour this afternoon, I decided to tackle that rear engine mount. As you may remember, we had this:
74B7E185-3D81-4F4B-858F-95218D8D80A1.jpeg

Unacceptable! So I decided to grind off some paint, use my 6 foot pry bar to push it back into place, and weld it on along the top. Blows my mind that the engine mount is just sheet metal. I used my handy dandy fiberglass welding blanket to avoid a fire...
745FF650-49EF-4A7B-A024-1BE951ABEDA0.jpeg

And went at it. Y’all know what my welds look like, so I will spare you the details and show the final.
639B56CF-6E1C-4E6B-8A6F-0A6C67273776.jpeg

There we go. With stuff in place acting as camouflage, looks as good as new. Will it hold? I dunno. I think so! I notice that the mount bolt still sits at an angle...the engine wants to ride forward. Oh well! I did notice I need to clean up the engine compartment. What a mess!

$19 from Ladapower. I have been using them on all my cars.

Y,know, I think it is pretty obvious that I am enjoying messing about with this little car. However, I must say that the price of parts is almost enough to make me give it up and go back to a spitfire. I need an oil pressure sending unit... but 250 bucks? Everything seems to be about twice as expensive as a British sports car.

$19 from Ladapower. I have been using them on all my cars.
That's the 124 & X1/9 type of gauge sending unit that screws directly into the engine block, with the oil light sensor mounted elsewhere. Not the same as the 850 banjo-style gauge sending unit, which is secured to the block using a separate oil light sensor.

If you're using this gauge sending unit on an 850 engine, where is your oil light sensor?

I think this will accommodate it:

My memory is a bit fragmented and I sold my 850 a few years back. Forgot about the 2 in 1 mount.
That's the 124 & X1/9 type of gauge sending unit that screws directly into the engine block, with the oil light sensor mounted elsewhere. Not the same as the 850 banjo-style gauge sending unit, which is secured to the block using a separate oil light sensor.

If you're using this gauge sending unit on an 850 engine, where is your oil light sensor?

Last edited:
Let me investigate and report back!
Hard to tell in the photo, but do you actually have all of the pieces of the rear engine mount assembly installed? (If you did, the main bolt wouldn't be able to sit at an angle).
Ok, so I did some parts catalog researching, and if this
is what I am supposed to have, me no got!
C77B6278-D2A2-4C35-8EE8-E586CC978B31.png

I have bits and pieces, but not all of it. Anyone have a spare mount they could spare?

Ok, so I did some parts catalog researching, and if this
is what I am supposed to have, me no got!
View attachment 46448
I have bits and pieces, but not all of it. Anyone have a spare mount they could spare?
Showing/telling us the parts that you already have will let us know which particular parts you still need. I'm guessing that you're missing the center aluminum cone piece & the large top washer? Maybe the large bottom washer, as well?

"Help me (us) help you."

Showing/telling us the parts that you already have will let us know which particular parts you still need. I'm guessing that you're missing the center aluminum cone piece & the large top washer? Maybe the large bottom washer, as well?

"Help me (us) help you."
Good deal, as I need lots of help. Here is what is on the car currently.
Bolt
Spacer
Two rubber poeces
Washers on bottom
Nut
5A03D6E4-6879-4F76-8790-E032D2986BDF.jpeg

it appears someone put that sleeve in there to replace the cone. So, it would appear that the cone is the major missing part. Do the cone and the lower rubber piece go on the bottom or top of the car section of the mount?
Thanks!

Yikes, no wonder your engine mount perch was tearing off of the rear body panel! You're missing a few key components of the engine mount, & that mount is only barely secure & functional as it sits now.

Compare what you have to the parts diagram you posted (in post #775). Looking at your last photo, I can see that the center mounting bolt is upside-down, you're likely missing both large flat washers (1 at the top & 1 at the bottom) & the aluminum center cone, & the upper rubber bushing is upside-down & totally unsecured (it's also completely shot). You're also missing the 3-bolt phenolic (brown plastic) spacer plate that goes between the main alloy engine mount bracket & the engine block.

Here's basically what you need:

850mt1.jpg

I can supply you with the parts shown above, or you can source them elsewhere. (PM me if interested).

Do the cone and the lower rubber piece go on the bottom or top of the car section of the mount?
The bolt & large flat washer go underneath the body-mounted engine perch, then the alloy cone & everything else gets centered on the bolt from above, just like in your parts diagram.

You also would want to replace the large rubber mount as well as it looks rather weathered. Jeff is showing the smaller rubber mount that goes on top in his image. I suspect he has one of the large ones as well.

Back