Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Gasket set arrived, but before I installed the head, I decided to try out the borescope I got for Christmas. Figure I would take a look and see if there was anything else in there.

Well, that didn’t prove anything. However, the shiny metal on intake 4 looks like we can see where the washer was scraping g around. I guess we will see what happens.

Also, I took a look at the carb again, and started pondering on it. The third stud was already missing, so the nut and washer that fell off of one of the other studs is what caused the problems. I am thinking to avoid this in the future I might get longer studs and run them through the top of the air cleaner. Tighten it down from the top like most air cleaners do.

I ended up drilling and tapping the holes to 1/4-20, and used screws with large phillips heads that wouldn't fit down the throat if they did come loose.

Gasket set arrived, but before I installed the head, I decided to try out the borescope I got for Christmas. Figure I would take a look and see if there was anything else in there.

Well, that didn’t prove anything. However, the shiny metal on intake 4 looks like we can see where the washer was scraping g around. I guess we will see what happens.

Also, I took a look at the carb again, and started pondering on it. The third stud was already missing, so the nut and washer that fell off of one of the other studs is what caused the problems. I am thinking to avoid this in the future I might get longer studs and run them through the top of the air cleaner. Tighten it down from the top like most air cleaners do.
Really the right way to do it is to drill the carb and put in larger studs with locktite. (you can get studs that are larger on one end but use the original nut size on the top) . Then use nylock nuts. I’ve done this on several Fiats and never had a nut come loose.
If you were super paranoid the Weber DIC can actually be drilled all the way through and nut can be applied at the bottom of the stud.

All back together and running.

Do I trust it? Heck no! That will take a little time.
Nightly question for you all. TDC is not showing up on the little timing mark. Is it possible to put that cover back on the front of the engine incorrectly and not have it key correctly? When the mark is lined up with the mark on the block, the #1 exhaust valve is already well on its way down.

Nightly question for you all. TDC is not showing up on the little timing mark. Is it possible to put that cover back on the front of the engine incorrectly and not have it key correctly? When the mark is lined up with the mark on the block, the #1 exhaust valve is already well on its way down.
The cover is designed to only go on one way so unless it was modified by some PO. There should also be a flat place on the pulley that the cover timing mark lines up with.

Distributor rotor pointing to #1 on cap?

Hi Daniel - from Greg Schmidt's book: "A new 'O' ring must be fitted to cover on replacement and it will be noted that cover can only be fitted in one position or attaching bolts holes will not line up."

The timing mark (0 degrees advance) is shown by the red arrow in the image below (that is just a grab from a google search). I set my car (903 engine with a hotter cam) at 10 degrees advance (13 mm from the mark).

Best, Loren
1628739187438.png

It's Midnight here, the power has been out for 4 hours so I can't get to my car to look, but, doesn't the pulley have a TDC mark on it? If there is then you can see if they (cover and pulley marks) match. If all else fails pull the filter cover and see if the keyway and the timing mark are lined up (or close).

Edit: If I was seeing an exhaust valve partly open and I was near TDC the first thing I would do is rotate the engine one full turn and recheck.

Last edited:
Took the car out for a spin today to give me daughter a drive. Runs perfect, but I pull into the driveway and it stops stone dead. “Ignition issue sez I”, and figure a wire came loose on the ignition switch. While troubleshooting that, and trying to crank it, the accelerator pedal cable snaps at the pedal. Argh!! My wife has been hinting at me to get rid of the car. Subtle things like “you can still part it out and make money on it”, or “I see the charity car place is looking for vehicles”. The inability to get more than 3 miles at a time out of this car sorely tempts me at times!

Took the car out for a spin today to give me daughter a drive. Runs perfect, but I pull into the driveway and it stops stone dead. “Ignition issue sez I”, and figure a wire came loose on the ignition switch. While troubleshooting that, and trying to crank it, the accelerator pedal cable snaps at the pedal. Argh!! My wife has been hinting at me to get rid of the car. Subtle things like “you can still part it out and make money on it”, or “I see the charity car place is looking for vehicles”. The inability to get more than 3 miles at a time out of this car sorely tempts me at times!
It is good that you have restored it sufficiently that it makes it to your driveway before it dies.

Your spouse hints realistic and practical ideas. I respect your preservation inclinations. Keep up the great work. You do not know how much inspiration you have given to us preservationists. I hope your spouse learns to respect for your inclination to pursue a commitment through to its conclusion. Aside from her comments on your project, what are her long term objectives and goals? (that's a philosophical query), whatever you do, do not respond on this site. If she is not inclined to respect your efforts, make sure you give her a Nissan Leaf in the settlement.

The surest way to avoid regret is never sell a car you restored. If she is unconvinced of the cars value, insure it with Haggerty for 10k,

Back