Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Yoo-hoo! I’m back. I like to blame my daughter’s old mustang for not posting, but the reality is that freakin carb has had me stumped. My new DGS would work, but no one has the correct “primary jet solenoid” for it. Following the advice I got here, I spoke at length with the rep at Pierce, and they thought this might work.
FEC94515-B97F-468C-9429-3D1C696BF435.jpeg

It didn’t fit. I have looked high and low, and I have not found one for the DGS carb. So today I said “forget it, let’s make one”. Worst case scenario is it won’t work. I do have the correct jets, so let’s see what we can do. And I apologize up front to all you machinists out there.
Here are my raw materials:
A8A6FC1B-1827-41E7-8BF5-EF484B6ECA85.jpeg

Short ones too short, nylon wrong thread pitch (they were a gamble).
Drilled out the ends of the longer bolts. The first one I went a little too deep. Looks like this.
78FBFD8A-A929-46A5-9FF3-625A5ECD24A2.jpeg

Here is the second one with the jet jb welded in. I aligned it by putting the jb weld on and screwing it in. So I know the jet is seating properly.
2E14BCD2-125B-4487-8DF7-68D3E0FED99C.jpeg

An “o” ring oughta seal it up. Will it work? I dunno. Let’s let the jb weld harden and try it out!
I did ponder what to do if and when it clogs. A single strand of wire and carb cleaner outta do it!

Last edited:
Seems to be running pretty well, so I washed it and took it up to the park for a few “glamour” pics.
FA35E292-2467-4C04-8DFC-C45984E8F639.jpeg
5C4AA20D-C3C2-4AFC-93C3-EF4392A8BBFF.jpeg
ECA21654-9DD6-436A-9B17-AB37E8167144.jpeg

It is still a hard starter though…it wants to flood. Baby steps!
Edit: after I needed a jump start to get home, I took a deeper dive into the starting issue. Timing was wrong. Seems happier now.

Last edited:
I have a surprise for everyone today. New wheels! I bought these several months back, and had them polished, but I have been waiting to install until I was sure the car was gonna be driveable. They had been sitting for sale on marketplace for months. Not great pics, but don’t they look nice? Supposedly Shelby Diamondbacks, but who knows? Still trying to decide on what center caps to use. Oh, and thanks, recycle truck, for the big wet stain you dumped on the street today!
CFF1D0E3-A586-4272-B403-786E8BC9F720.jpeg
CF3DE935-5D7B-4F31-8E96-B1CCC1E845E0.jpeg

Well, I am pleased to report that with multiple drives under its belt, the DGS carb with the homemade jet holder has cured 90% of my cars issues. Idles fine, starts right up, no fouled plugs, and no clogged jets. I will never, ever use a DICA carb again, intentionally.
Next up are the front brakes. Starting to drag, and then be mushy. I guess it is time to deal with those 52 year old calipers. Sheesh!

Look at me! Over a month with no problems. Just driving it!
Also, I forgot. It has been a little over three years since I started working on it.
Happy Birthday!
8C0C81A0-F1BD-4C28-B883-874630F4C651.png

Also, does anyone have one of these cars with the antenna up near the windshield on the right front fender? If so, have you ever removed it? I can’t figure out how to get to it without cutting out the front fender!

Look at me! Over a month with no problems. Just driving it!
Also, I forgot. It has been a little over three years since I started working on it.
Happy Birthday!
View attachment 61560
Also, does anyone have one of these cars with the antenna up near the windshield on the right front fender? If so, have you ever removed it? I can’t figure out how to get to it without cutting out the front fender!
Mine is there, seems like it can be accessed under the dash.

So we are in month two of a major heat wave, so the Fiat has not been getting any use. Anyone ever install AC on one? ;)
I did pull the cover off early this morning and took it for a drive when it was only in the nineties. After it got gas, it ran like a champ. Not bad for sitting for weeks! I have discovered it starts a lot easier when the timing is retarded back just a smidge.
Oh, and I see a little rust coming back in the doors. Anyone have a pair of rust free doors for sale? Is there such a thing?

E1958C7B-2E51-4824-AD46-FE78A57CA769.jpeg

Thanks for reading!
Oh, and my daughter’s mustang in front of it has been the latest car project. It is time for it to go home and back to my cars.

Last edited:
So we are in month two of a major heat wave, so the Fiat has not been getting any use. Anyone ever install AC on one? ;)
I did pull the cover off early this morning and took it for a drive when it was only in the nineties. After it got gas, it ran like a champ. Not bad for sitting for weeks! I have discovered it starts a lot easier when the timing is retarded back just a smidge.
Oh, and I see a little rust coming back in the doors. Anyone have a pair of rust free doors for sale? Is there such a thing?

View attachment 64163
Thanks for reading!
Oh, and my daughter’s mustang in front of it has been the latest car project. It is time for it to go home and back to my cars.
I smile everytime I open one of your posts and see that car and think about what you were able to do with it. Just amazing.

Drive on.

View attachment 64163
Thanks for reading!
I have some doors. I’ll get some pictures for you. They’re from the desert southwest so as rust free as it’s gonna get.
Shipping from New Mexico…..I’ve had luck with Greyhound as far as shipping cost if there is a stop near you for pick up
Or pick em up and they would be free.

I have some doors. I’ll get some pictures for you. They’re from the desert southwest so as rust free as it’s gonna get.
Shipping from New Mexico…..I’ve had luck with Greyhound as far as shipping cost if there is a stop near you for pick up
Or pick em up and they would be free.
That would be…AWESOME! Thanks!

Took a while to get to my storage, sorry. Doors have some surface rust and some bondo. From what I can see inside the damage must be minor. There is no rust through in the bottoms. They came off a car that sat in the New Mexico desert for years, probably as rust free as you’ll find. I was going to use them on my 67 but decided instead to repair the original doors. 6E61AB68-F049-4535-89D8-6F9C1136D0C6.jpeg74E50593-55F5-49CD-A4C6-C4E638B4D169.jpeg

Time to dot some “I”s and cross some “t”s with this car! I have kinda half heartedly tried to sell it recently, and didn’t get much of a response (not really surprised) so I figure, if it is staying with me, let’s get some more stuff done! First up, the darn idle was not idling again. Yup…primary idle circuit plugged up. But this time it was not the jet, but in the carb body! Blasted it out with compressed air and that fixed that. Next up: the air cleaner. As you may recall, I put a DGS carb on this car. Here is the throat on that carb:
8F4C8F92-8B51-4216-9BDF-D4381EC25536.jpeg

I could not find an air filter anywhere that would fit that. My last attempt at hooking it all together failed miserably, so this time I spot welded two hose clamps to the bottom of the original air cleaner, and reused the plastic ring that came on the top of the carb when I bought it. There were a couple of small gaps that I filled in with caulk. Here it is all painted up. I tighten up one of the clamps, and it is not going anywhere!
A1FDE58C-63A3-4AFC-BB9D-B219D042F3E5.jpeg

Beautiful? Nope. Does it work? So far.
235B8000-4F4B-43AD-B7C8-69853535937D.jpeg

Next up: idle jet clogging issue. I think that jb weld I posted about a while back may not be as “impervious” as they say. Or the car magically sells. Stay tuned!

Back