Safest/strongest place to jack the car up front and rear.

eng622

Daily Driver
I'm not using the sill jacking points for obvious reasons and not wanting to use the lifting brackets. At the rear the trailing arms look a good place but unsure where on front. Advice sought.

There is an article with pictures in the wiki section under “common problems/troubleshooting” that should be on point.

Actually, there is a lot of good info in the wiki section worth reading. I usually look there before attempting searches in the forums.

I'm not using the sill jacking points for obvious reasons and not wanting to use the lifting brackets. At the rear the trailing arms look a good place but unsure where on front. Advice sought.
The suspension arms are not at all a good place. If you think about it, they are not intended to support any vertical load. Why do you not want to use the lifting brackets? I usually lift by the front or rear lifting bracket, and place jack stands as needed. Search these forums for "Placing Jackstands" for pictures and lengthy discussions on the subject.

Last edited:
Your reasons for not using the sill jacking points aren't obvious to us, & the rear trailing arms are not a recommended jacking point.

There are 4 factory jacking points; front, rear, right & left. https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=JackingVehicle

I would add that with the front jacking point shown in the Wiki, I'd suggest rotating that jackstand 90° & putting a short block of wood (a 2"x4" about 6" long) between the top of the jackstand & the bracket on the car (this creates a slightly more stable platform front-to-back).

Many thanks for the link. My car in the past has been jacked up at the front from under the boot and there are two indents in the floor probably from a trolley jack. I normally avoid sill tubes on any car as do not often need to raise the whole side and the integrity of the surrounding metal is often unknown.

Back