Saw this and immediately thought of you folks

Where was this sold, in the US, the UK or somewhere else? I notice that UK prices tend to run higher than US prices, by quite a good margin.

Pete

It was basically a BRAND NEW 1987.
Here was the thread from 2015

Huh. The article notes that this car was sold just last fall - "Bonhams Padua auction on October 28, 2017" - which is in Italy.

Nevertheless, the minty fresh showroom condition of that car would seem to imply that there could be (relatively) big bucks to be had by keeping these cars OEM and unmodified. Or else, by working to return an owner-modified X back to that condition.

Thanks - DM

Huh. The article notes that this car was sold just last fall - "Bonhams Padua auction on October 28, 2017" - which is in Italy.

Nevertheless, the minty fresh showroom condition of that car would seem to imply that there could be (relatively) big bucks to be had by keeping these cars OEM and unmodified. Or else, by working to return an owner-modified X back to that condition.

Thanks - DM
You'll have to be our eyes on that SCM article as they want a digital subscription fee.
that X1/9 from 2015 was sitting and lingering on many sites For sale until that Bonhams Padua auction.

Does that SCM feature any more photos?
Most likely that is indeed the same one.

Couple of thoughts. First, auctions typically sell vehicles at prices that far exceed the actual market value. Seems buyers at these events get excited and loose site of reality in a big way. Second, a completely original car (meaning one that has never been restored, or otherwise re-conditioned) will always bring much more value than any restored one. So trying to return a modified car back to original, or refreshing it in any way will not command the same selling price. Third, this example is NOT representative of the market for X's, anywhere. It is clearly an exception, so I would not get too excited thinking we can get anywhere near that price for one of our X's. Just my opinions.

Couple of thoughts. First, auctions typically sell vehicles at prices that far exceed the actual market value. Seems buyers at these events get excited and loose site of reality in a big way. Second, a completely original car (meaning one that has never been restored, or otherwise re-conditioned) will always bring much more value than any restored one. So trying to return a modified car back to original, or refreshing it in any way will not command the same selling price. Third, this example is NOT representative of the market for X's, anywhere. It is clearly an exception, so I would not get too excited thinking we can get anywhere near that price for one of our X's. Just my opinions.
Geez, Jeff. Talk about, blowing out our candle! I totally agree, but Geez. You said "@%$* your hopes and dreams!" :rolleyes::D

Euro models never got FI, that was a USA thing
Likely one of the only examples where the Euro version of a vehicle was actually lower in spec than a US version. Although many other aspects of the Euro X is vastly better spec, so I guess it still isn't true overall.

Well, all the cars that I have bought used that I have enjoyed the most were "unmolested". So, yes, low miles usually does that. But high miles unmolested is even rarer. I find that with the exception of high dollar restomods, most folks do not have the engineering acumen to do mods properly. Not impossible, but very rare to see good engineering from most modifications.

Likely one of the only examples where the Euro version of a vehicle was actually lower in spec than a US version. Although many other aspects of the Euro X is vastly better spec, so I guess it still isn't true overall.

After having owned both, it kind of depends. FI is very nice from a reliability perspective but you do get 85 HP with the Euro setup vs. 75 BHP with the US spec. That extra 10 HP goes a long way...

To be honest, the 34 DMTR is pretty reliable if you keep crud out of it.

Cheers,
Dom.

After having owned both, it kind of depends. FI is very nice from a reliability perspective but you do get 85 HP with the Euro setup vs. 75 BHP with the US spec. That extra 10 HP goes a long way...

Cheers,
Dom.
The only time I've ever had crud in the carb, is when I did a roadside jet/emulsion tube swap, using a fresh from the boneyard un cleaned carb. I made it about 2 miles. Pulled over a reinstalled the clean jets/tubes. Was up and going in under 5 minutes. As long as you replace your fuel lines, you shouldn't run into too many issues. Normally. Btw when Bosch Jetronic goes wrong, it' usually not something that can be fixed (reliably) on the roadside, in under 5 minutes. For this and other reasons, I stand behind carbs for X1/9s.

Ah ha, this just turned into a carb versus FI thread! I was surprised how sharp my 1500 motor feels with a 34 DMTR, much crisper than the stock Bertone I had.

Ah ha, this just turned into a carb versus FI thread! I was surprised how sharp my 1500 motor feels with a 34 DMTR, much crisper than the stock Bertone I had.
We since it's already been very well documented, that carbs are better; what do you say we move this on to bigger and better discussions like oh, say... sparkplugs and oil ?? :rolleyes::D:eek::p

After having owned both, it kind of depends.
Dom, agreed, that's exactly what I'm saying. Although the US spec EFI might be thought of as a more evolved development, the Euro spec carb'ed versions still offered more power/performance. So overall the Euro spec was still better. We never got the good stuff. I remember guys spending a ton of money to buy Euro spec parts, ship them over and have their engines retro-fitted with them. Unfortunately the US spec differences went well beyond a handful of parts so the "upgrades" really made no noticeable difference...despite the huge expense.

Cheers,
Dom.
I thought that we '79/80 drivers, had less then 75hp. I thought we were closer to the 65-67hp mark? :oops:

Back