Scam warning (edit by JimD - beware buying from new users) 2023 update

Drag Week is another matter... but the don't do any of this on he Left Coast anymore as we are so into ourselves. You mentioned one time you were interested in other motorsports and this one is coming to YOU!
Hi Tony,

I do follow the drag week events because I am a big Cleetus McFarland fan and he loves drag weeks. Midwest Drag week just completed and next week is Rocky Mountain Race Week. These are similar events to the Hot Rod Drag week event. You have to drive your street car between the tracks and make a run or two per track. It is a real test of the cars involved. The linked article talks about Tom Bailey's unlimited Camaro from last year, but that car burned up earlier this spring. I will definitely check out the St Louis event, especially if Cleetus is coming to town.

Did anyone ever get those 'postcards' which a member took our addresses for? I never received one....

Just a reminder for 2022. If you receive an offer for a part via PM from a brand new Xweb member, do your best to check them out. I have received a report of a PM parts offer from a new member that only joined a 2:33AM this morning. We have had PM scammers on Xweb in the past, so be on guard.

Just FYI. We are still seeing new members join and start trolling the FS&W section offering deals via PM. Buyer beware.

I do spam them when I feel I have enough info. If you are being engaged in a similar manner, please let me know.

Just FYI. We are still seeing new members join and start trolling the FS&W section offering deals via PM. Buyer beware.

I do spam them when I feel I have enough info. If you are being engaged in a similar manner, please let me know.
Jim, this is happening on multiple forums. I have been SPAMMED multiple time on the Stelvio Forum. I don’t entertain them.
Mike

Thank you Jim for watching our backs. :)
I'm wondering. For those who aren't extremely experienced on forum use in general, and may not be as proficient at recognizing such activity. Would it help to show a couple of specific examples of this? Not sure if that is practical to do. But just to give something to illustrate what to watch out for.

Thank you Jim for watching our backs. :)
I'm wondering. For those who aren't extremely experienced on forum use in general, and may not be as proficient at recognizing such activity. Would it help to show a couple of specific examples of this? Not sure if that is practical to do. But just to give something to illustrate what to watch out for.
Basically if a new user with 0 or 1 posts reaches out via PM to try to sell you a part, be suspicious. The scammer will usually start feeding you an email address to communicate through.

New users,
From the Stelvio Forum; anthonyabude85 (sent two messages with two different contacts)
And folly2022.
Both joined the same day they sent the messages and sent basically they send the same message. They want to take the conversation to a private email or message app. Will not send pics or discuss money.
One forgot what vehicle… I said that it perfect, now I can complete my Fiat X1/9 (Stelvio forum). He said congratulations… lol
Be cautious and help new folks understand the risks.
Thanks Jim, miss everyone here,
Mike

Thanks Mike for the examples.

The reason I was suggesting an example for clarity is because when members post requests for parts I often contact them through the "messaging" (PM) system rather than posting it on the public portion of the forum. So just because you get a message response doesn't necessary mean it is a scam. But I can see a definite difference between getting contacted from a brand new user as Jim and Mike described vs a long standing one.

When it comes to selling/buying vehicles, you could attract scammers from your posts. Online car selling/buying is being searched daily by persons who want the money only. This isn't a figment of my imagination. It's fact!
IMO, the best thing is to send a message a few days before any planned meetings.
Include an exact ref to moneys involved. For a sale, "I expect you will have the exact amount (list amount) in cash, with you. (cashier checks aren't really safe unless you do the following) We will meet only at my Bank to exchange money/paperwork and have the title notarized for a proper sign off of the vehicle. Being at your Bank will allow you to accept a cashiers check, as your Bank can freeze the funds, to ensure payment to your account. For a buy, or sale, being in your bank gives you safety to accept/give any money. You have to look at what you buy before making the deal, write down the serial number of a buy, and never offer cash to buy. You don't want to leave the Bank with any form of funds on your person.
A buyer can leave with your car and his money, if you meet just anyplace.
So, here's why I posted this. I have a Chevy HHR SS for sale, an interested buyer (?) emailed me, and gave an offer of $6,200 for my asking price of $7000. I declined. We had a few emails back and forth, and he came back at $6,800. Close enough, but his new offer came a little too quick. Being cautious I sent an acceptance email, exact cash only, at the bank only, and why at the Bank was safer for both of us. Never heard from him again, not even a simple no. Hmmmm. I know what I think. Be concerned for yourself and your money, and not have to worry about being followed to your home to be robbed.

Just a reminder to be wary of new users offering parts deals via the conversation system. There is no way for the mods to view PM activity, so report anything that seems sketchy. Thanks

Bump.

Nothing new, just be advised to be on guard when dealing with new members. I had a recent report on a new user contacting a member via PM using the typical gmail scam. You know the old "My buddy has the part you need, contact him at xxxnnnnxxxx-at-gmail-com" ploy.

Don't bite.

Bump. Nothing new, just be advised to be on guard when dealing with new members. I had a recent report on a new user contacting a member via PM using the typical gmail scam. You know the old "My buddy has the part you need, contact him at xxxnnnnxxxx-at-gmail-com" ploy. Don't bite.

Hi JimD, I just received this scammer PM from a brand new account: rice44.

rice44

New Member​

19 minutes ago
Think I saw a guy called Bill posted a 850 JO/EL intake manifold for sale. Here is his email. gateb104@gmail.com
You may want to delete the new account so he can’t scam anyone else.
thx,
Mike

new member as of 3:15 this am (October 26) sending email links via private conversations - seems fishy. Please check.
Name: rice44

I have a Fiat 124BC Sport Coupe radio console listed on Ebay and just got an email from NEW member Rice44 advising me his friend has one for sale? New member is Rice44 and his friend is at gate104@gmail.com. He's been a member less than an hour so you figure out what's going on. My apologizes if Rice44 is real....

@rice44 has been spammed.

Has anyone heard from new user @Maren? Stated location is "California", IP address is from Phuket, Thailand. That is usually a tell, but I try not to be too quick on the ban.

I kind of wonder about scammers that show up on a very small forum, that specializes in a very specific subject matter (Fiat X1/9's) like ours. Particularly offering to sell obscure parts that the vast majority of the world has no knowledge of. Bigger forums about more common vehicles with widely known parts, sure. But Xweb? It just seems we are way off the radar. I'm sure it's random but where do they even hear about it and why would they spend the time reading the posts looking for a potential victim when there are so many more to be easily found elsewhere?

Hi Jim, here’s another scammer.
thx,
Mike

Attachments

• 47A6B844-04E8-4A9D-9650-9AA692E28453.png
    47A6B844-04E8-4A9D-9650-9AA692E28453.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 72
Back