Scam warning (edit by JimD - beware buying from new users) 2023 update

So... should I temp ban the user and see if he/she/it offers more details on their business practices? Let me know. It does seem unusual to try to conduct all deals thru IM.

The profile says Sas1 joined Saturday (6/22/2019), last seen yesterday (6/23/2019). Location: Denver.

A little more info. Entered location is Denver, the registration IP says it is in Long Beach, California. He is telling people to email sonnhalterjon-at-gmail, but his registration email shows Lawrencekulpa01-at-gmail. In other words, lots of inconsistencies.

He scammed twincam69 for $100 for non existent door panels.

I would temp ban him and make folks aware.

E9EEE98E-4BA1-4562-94F2-73BD78E495EF.jpeg

Sas1 has been marked as a spammer. This is a permanent ban, I tried to preserve the IMs that were sent to other members, not sure if that works or not.

Thanks to those that spotted this and took action. I was not aware of it so very grateful for the input. Might even want to make an 'official' announcement where everyone will definitely see it? Not sure how, but perhaps something more obvious that this thread, like a system notice of some sort?

PayPal should be able to step in and recover the funds. But that may depend in part on the method of transfer. That's one reason why I'd rather pay for goods with a "purchase" transfer and not a "friends" transfer. I'll pay any fees to have that protection.

Yeah, I received a message that a Jon had a 1986 emissions plate. Seem suspect so I sent a list of questions to them and all they replied was “yes, we have it”.
No pics or answers to any of my questions or price.
Thanks for the heads up,
Mike

PS: Maybe law enforcement should get a anonymous tip about these scammers.

yes...contacted me a few days ago...if i had not already received the part i was looking for, i might have fell for it and contacted him

Usually the typical scams are pretty obvious, the ones trying to do the scamming are barley literate and the whole thing smells like rotten fish. So the generic rules about online security are more than adequate - even a little common sense is all that's needed. But now and then one comes along that is actually well done and could catch people off guard. And in these cases the general rules may not be enough to protect the innocent. I guess that is where we can help one another, like in this case, by warning the members of a hazard. The more apparent these warnings can be made the better. I am not very experienced with forums (beyond this one and one other), is there a common means on forums to get "urgent alerts" out to everyone?

Today I received a PM from a new member "Kingsleyscott17" and ask me to contact an email address for the heater core... trolling guys!

There is the message I received:
I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Eliot on anordeliot@gmail.com regarding your request. He is located in Texas, and the last time I talked to him, he had Non AC Heater Core for sale.
I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition.

Beware.

Yves

Oh I am so disappointed that he didn't contact me!! I love wasting scammers time and energy!! A couple of times I managed to convince a cold callers to quit their jobs and look for something else...

Just read this interesting post and all sorts of one-liners come to mind.

Best to err on the side of caution.

If it smells like a duck...

If its too good to be true...

No pictures, it didn't happen.

If any and all want to hear more, please send a Walmart Gift Card to my home address in an amount of $20 dollars or more.

HA!

Lastly, I've almost gotten sucked in two times over a Truck and a Golf Cart many years apart. I found if an item was something I lusted after for quite some time I tended to ignore the same things I usually see as RED FLAGS. Thank God I stepped back and took another look of what was really in front of me.

With all the negative crap I just wrote and what's crawling on this planet these days, I've had great experiences with every member on this site I have ever traded with. Its actually not luck, just a group of fine people wanting to help each other out.

It is now 2021 and we seem to have had another occurrence of this parts scam. Please be cautious of entering into a deal with a new member with no history on Xweb. If you post a "Wanted" ad for a part, this is what the scammers are looking for.

It is now 2021 and we seem to have had another occurrence of this parts scam. Please be cautious of entering into a deal with a new member with no history on Xweb. If you post a "Wanted" ad for a part, this is what the scammers are looking for.

Sorry to hear this is happening (again) Jim. Think of you and yours often... Oh, and here's why!

Hot Rod Power Tour (and Drag Week too) is coming to St. Louis on August 24th I believe. This is one hell of an exciting rolling car show and anyone can participate.

Drag Week is another matter... but the don't do any of this on he Left Coast anymore as we are so into ourselves. You mentioned one time you were interested in other motorsports and this one is coming to YOU!

Hope you find the time to attend!

He hasn’t offered to me camshaft yet :D

Back