Scorp on the Bay; not mine

I Like This...NO RESERVE Starting Bid $14,900.00 ???

Correct me if I'm wrong please?

But shouldn't a "No Reserve" auction start at zero???

Kind of an oxy moron going on here if you ask me! The reserve bid in this case is clearly $14,900.00

For the money...That car would have to be pretty flawless! I mean tickety-boo! Concours!

Anyone?

Allan

I'm holding my tongue...

For the money...That car would have to be pretty flawless! I mean tickety-boo! Concours!

Anyone?

Allan

last time I commented on a high price on a eBay car, I was corrected by the seller that it DID sell, and that there were OTHER BIDDERS anxious to buy the car at $10k. Never mind that I bought a newer, prettier one not long ago for $4k. I mean, the seller wouldn't lie. Would he?

Pete

Looks like seller has added some pics, but still no real info about the car.

And yeah Pete, on that brown X: I think there's more to the story.
"Buyers are liars; sellers are story tellers."

I think the pics give you a lot of info.

The paint is a sad bad repaint. Overall the car was likely decent before the paint but its not a winner car. Nice but not a winner.

I would be happy to own it, but not nearly 14+k worth.

While I love a full-on lipstick red interior, having one in a baby blue car is a little much, IMHO. If that car were a nice solid black, that interior would be perfect!

Dead right!

Of all the collectable cars I've ever owned, seen, or lusted for my scorp is the only one I can think of that I would NOT want bone stock! Their collector value seems limited for some reason. Good for us, since that makes them affordable! But the poor stock scorpions we were sent in '76... I mean... 81hp!?! What was Fiat thinking? The things I have done to mine have mostly involved making it Euro spec Monte! Bumpers,2lt engine,monte tranny, etc. I'm still amazed when I see all original scorps! Even if it's prestine, your gonna have to spend alot of time and money to get it to the original specs it was meant to have.

Black would work,

But how about silver? Or pearl white?
While I love a full-on lipstick red interior, having one in a baby blue car is a little much, IMHO. If that car were a nice solid black, that interior would be perfect!

boy, I thought I liked red interiors on some Italian cars, but this one goes way past what i'd want to sit in. I would almost describe it as revolting. just too red, and way too much too red.

My car started out with the same garish interior:
76EarlyInteriora.jpg

I replaced most of it with black:
1GB126.jpg

P7180408.jpg

Looks nice, Mark. I still kinda like the all-red interior (maybe I'd get tired of it after awhile though) but yours does look better. Did you dye the original interior pieces, or did you replace them with black ones? Must have been a big job either way...but worth it.

Of all the collectable cars I've ever owned, seen, or lusted for my scorp is the only one I can think of that I would NOT want bone stock! Their collector value seems limited for some reason. Good for us, since that makes them affordable! But the poor stock scorpions we were sent in '76... I mean... 81hp!?! What was Fiat thinking? The things I have done to mine have mostly involved making it Euro spec Monte! Bumpers,2lt engine,monte tranny, etc. I'm still amazed when I see all original scorps! Even if it's prestine, your gonna have to spend alot of time and money to get it to the original specs it was meant to have.

Yeah, an original (or tastefully modified) Montecarlo would be a great car to import from Europe or Japan. I know there are a few really nice ones floating around, that haven't been trashed. Bringing a Scorp to Monte specs seems like an awfully big undertaking plus parts are so hard to find and getting rarer. Then there's the matter of the car's value when it's all said and done...

There are a lot of Lancia enthusiasts but most of them don't give the FIAT-era Lancias much respect.

too true,

I can never hope to get out of my car what I put into it. That's usually the way it goes with restorations. They are alot like buying japanese motorcycles, better know what your getting into cause you likely wont get your money back! But I love this car, and I wouldn't care if they lose valve over time! Buy the way, I noticed you spent alot of time and money on your x1/9! So I guess you know what I mean.
Yeah, an original (or tastefully modified) Montecarlo would be a great car to import from Europe or Japan. I know there are a few really nice ones floating around, that haven't been trashed. Bringing a Scorp to Monte specs seems like an awfully big undertaking plus parts are so hard to find and getting rarer. Then there's the matter of the car's value when it's all said and done...

There are a lot of Lancia enthusiasts but most of them don't give the FIAT-era Lancias much respect.

I had the seats redone in leather about 25 years ago. All the black is new. I redyed the original red dash to color match the seats.

Looks nice, Mark. I still kinda like the all-red interior (maybe I'd get tired of it after awhile though) but yours does look better. Did you dye the original interior pieces, or did you replace them with black ones? Must have been a big job either way...but worth it.

I can never hope to get out of my car what I put into it. That's usually the way it goes with restorations. They are alot like buying japanese motorcycles, better know what your getting into cause you likely wont get your money back! But I love this car, and I wouldn't care if they lose valve over time! Buy the way, I noticed you spent alot of time and money on your x1/9! So I guess you know what I mean.

Nice looking fleet you have there Doug. I can tell your approach to these cars is much like mine: hot them up the way God intended them to be in the first place.

Yes, I bought my X new in '76 and within a week had removed the smog pump, bumpers and collapsed the bumper shocks just like everybody's doing now. By the time it was finished (dual-Weber PBS motor, Collotti 5-speed conversion, Campys, suspension, etc.) in the early '80s I had an additional $6-7K invested in it. Had to sell it in '88 because I was moving overseas. I got $7500 which wasn't bad for the time but I still took a big loss. But that's nothing compared to the $$$ I've lost on some other cars.

Sometimes it's easy to stand back and look objectively at how much money we throw at them, but at the same time I understand the passion that goes into these little labors of love. :worship:

Back