scorpion #1147 resurrection thread

Considering actually driving the car home after it's done! :cool:
Do it!
I have some pretty good stories/memories from driving the "new to me cars" home. As long as it runs well, WHY NOT?
I tried to drive my Scorpion from just east of Sacramento to Illinois when I bought it. Lots of nice scenery, and lots of really boring scenery too, but all in all pretty fulfilling in a new to me Scorpion. Would have been better if the alternator hadn't tried to fall off about half way home. :(
The trip turned out to be "quite the adventure". :p Add another story to the list! ;)
I had Hagerty insurance so I was confident that I would get good roadside assistance if needed (it wasn't). I highly recommend it.

parked since '95, and I don't have the time/wherewithal to do the work but I got the capital. I didn't hear much positive potential from Chris Obert (he's really slammed and flying solo like 2 days a week) so I went with a place that'll have the space and resources and staff to get the job done.

I think you might be able to find shippers at a lower cost if you were going from east to west?
Have you tried uShip? https://www.uship.com/ I've used it a couple of times and found that if you wait for awhile the quoted prices drop.
Another suggestion is to contact Hagerty. I'm not sure they can help you save money though. It might be worth a try?

yeah unfortunately I'm going west to east. didn't realize the costs could be different. if I get my way, return shipping will be done from the driver seat!

Agree, $1800 isn't too bad. Three years ago I paid just over $1k to ship my non-running Scorpion 1,000 miles straight up the I-5 from CA to WA (in a single-car enclosed trailer) and gas hasn't gotten any cheaper since then. Good luck! Glad your car will be getting the help it needs soon.

Last edited:
i just got a quote to take a car from Oregon to central fla for 1200.00 not running and not enclosed

Last year was coast to coasting with enclosed 2 car trailer often and several times with just one car inside. Slurp, slurp, slurp. Much less west coast events this season and probably will have both cars every time unless have bad mid season drama.

Have 2 different 1 car trailers. This small one I decked out with some Lancia posters and in one pic you should be able to see beginning of my shelves for RC cars and a Stratos. Added move drawers with more RC cars after this pic.
A2447FF9-3C5D-47EA-B384-6FFD74A3D555.jpeg

Have more Lancia decorations ready for warmer weather to install them. But having your trailer comes in handy for moving, storage, car show weekends with mixed weather, going to events where there is crappy roads, camping, having a local mechanical breakdown,....

Last edited:
Last year was coast to coasting with enclosed 2 car trailer often and several times with just one car inside. Slurp, slurp, slurp. Much less west coast events this season and probably will have both cars every time unless have bad mid season drama.

Have 2 different 1 car trailers. This small one I decked out with some Lancia posters and in one pic you should be able to see beginning of my shelves for RC cars and a Stratos. Added move drawers with more RC cars after this pic.
View attachment 58006

Have more Lancia decorations ready for warmer weather to install them. But having your trailer comes in handy for moving, storage, car show weekends with mixed weather, going to events where there is crappy roads, camping, having a local mechanical breakdown,....
hah you wanna come to california and tow my car to Ohio for a couple grand? :D

some interesting observations - a few of these carriers are a bit sketchy. i keep getting emails with lower and lower quotes. i was warned to beware of these predatory carriers they will seek a deposit then the carrier will not show or the wrong truck type will show up. i'm leaning towards RoadRunner as they're AAA approved - a little more money but they seem much more on the honest side. i'll be calling hagerty to ask them for recommendations as well.

They are a very good transport company. It depends also it they are going directly to your destination.
Or do the stop along the way and change trucks. This can led to a higher chance of damaging your car.
With unloading and reloading. I would make sure you have your insurance up to date. Just in case, although there insurance should cover any mishaps. Also I would do a walk around video of the car before they load the car. Try and video in open shade for more even lighting. And show any flaws close up with your video. Make sure the driver concurs with your evaluation of the condition of the car. Then have the recipient do the same while the driver is still there, at the drop off location.

Do yourself a favor and research the shipping company before you turn your baby over to them. +1 on a walk around vid and getting agreement on the condition of the car too. Especially if the driver DOSEN'T want to do a condition report. Insist on it!
I've had good luck with a few shippers. Not such good luck with others.
Here's the result of having an incompetent driver handle your car. I went round and round with the shipper on the damages suffered here. The shipper basically flatly told me that they would not pay for any damages. Period. I had to use the nuclear option on them to get any relief. Check with Hagerty to make sure that they will have your back if you find yourself in a similar situation.
1645140397402.jpeg

BTW - $3K sounds a bit high, but do you really want the lowest cost carrier taking possession of your car? I've heard horror stories of shippers holding your car for ransom and demanding you pay more than you - both - agreed to.

Do yourself a favor and research the shipping company before you turn your baby over to them. +1 on a walk around vid and getting agreement on the condition of the car too. Especially if the driver DOSEN'T want to do a condition report. Insist on it!
I've had good luck with a few shippers. Not such good luck with others.
Here's the result of having an incompetent driver handle your car. I went round and round with the shipper on the damages suffered here. The shipper basically flatly told me that they would not pay for any damages. Period. I had to use the nuclear option on them to get any relief. Check with Hagerty to make sure that they will have your back if you find yourself in a similar situation.
View attachment 58242

BTW - $3K sounds a bit high, but do you really want the lowest cost carrier taking possession of your car? I've heard horror stories of shippers holding your car for ransom and demanding you pay more than you - both - agreed to.
I agree with the above. I have had one shipping problem over the years. I shipped two of my Alfa Rome’s up to Monterey car week, in 1999. They placed my cars on the lower level on the trip back to Los Angeles. And dropped a tie down chain from the car above mine-on the hood of my GTV. It took a lot of back and forth tho get them to pay.

Back