Scorpion # 253 project

todays progress. Powder coated a few more items
IMG_3593.JPG

assembled the second pair of rear calipers. This time in red
IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

the fuel cell came in, But it was not as described so now I am having to work on this with ebay. No foam and defiantly not polished aluminum!! UPDATE, I took a 25.00 refund for taking the fuel cell the way it came

IMG_3602.JPG

Last edited:
installed the radiator today. Assembled one side of the front suspension. Placed the fuel cell where I intend to mount it just for looks. Also here is the brake pedal bracket after powder coating
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG

Hey Beek, can you see if the Vicks Prima brakes will fit with a Scorpion 13" Bow tie wheel?

Thanks,
Ralph

Interesting that you went with the tank in the "lay down" orientation. I've been vacillating between that and the "upright against the firewall" orientations trying to figure out how to make the best use of space for frunk use. It seems that the flat tank would slosh fuel more hence why you probably ordered foam for it. But when full it would be a nice low mass over the brakes. Curious how it works for you!

Interesting that you went with the tank in the "lay down" orientation. I've been vacillating between that and the "upright against the firewall" orientations trying to figure out how to make the best use of space for frunk use. It seems that the flat tank would slosh fuel more hence why you probably ordered foam for it. But when full it would be a nice low mass over the brakes. Curious how it works for you!
my thought process was 1. Keep the weight low 2. I am planning to move the battery to the center just above the fuel tank at the fire wall. 3. I dont care about frunk space! maybe a light jacket and a tool kit is the only thing that will be in there :)

I keep my spare in the frunk in an effort to get some weight over the front wheels. Then again I have a stock fuel tank.

IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG
Update from this week.

1. got foam for the fuel cell and installed it in the tank. Replaced the fasteners with grade 8 socket head bolts

2. painted the rear control arms
IMG_3656.JPG

3. Painted the front sway bar

IMG_3655.JPG

4. received my wheels and tires. Bought the wheels from Allison's auto and the tires came from tirerack

IMG_3650.JPG

5. fitted the nose band and the headlight assembly's

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

6. Test fit the wheels and tires. Will install the rest of the suspension this coming week
IMG_3651.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG

I must say that does not suck.

Love those wheels, I suspect those will become the wheels I put on my X1/9.

Are you going to color match the nose parts or keep them in the black contrast to go with the band below the belt line?

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

thank you!

I do have 16mm spacers behind the wheels. I will have to see if they would fit with out them but i also have the coil overs which are thinner than the stock struts. Those were the only period correct modern size wheels i could find. If they made 15" cd30's i would have been in heaven!

Honestly here is where people may hate me but I will eventually repaint he car red. for 2 reasons, 1st is i like red the second is i am already tired of " is that a delorian". I just dont feel that keeping the car original color will make the value any greater at this point. Plus i am not doing this because I want it to be worth something. I just want it nice and they way I want it. This is the 3rd scorpion i have right now, granted its the most compete but its what I want. Also the paint job is a definite 10 footer. I dont like the bottom black. I wish that it just had the original black band. All of the trim has been painted black, not the original grey/slate color. So for now it will be painted black as will the front bumper which I am currently working on rebuilding. More on that soon. Then the whole car will be painted red and the trim put back to the original grey color except the nose band which i will leave the car color.The interior will be reupholstered in tan when i do the paint. I will drive the car this summer and paint it this fall/winter if the time is right. I am also building the replacement 2.0l engine.(I am about to start posting that process real soon) this change over will happen when the engine compartment is painted again probably early fall. A custom exhaust is also in order. I am trying very hard to keep the modifications period correct for the car.

Apparently I should've waited to get my wheels because yours look fantastic in silver! They only had gunmetal and metallic gray last year.:mad:
Anyway with some old 190/60 15 tires fitted so I could roll it around, the rears cleared (of course) but the fronts lightly tire rubbed the spring/seat of the stock strut. I used a flapper wheel to lightly clearance everything. Didn't take much.

No hate coming from me about paint and color. We all have our own vision for what's proper. I've been sort of agonizing internally about paint. Part of me likes the two tone look, other times a solid color with the black band rocks. What shade of red are you wanting?

Looks like 195/45 proxes in front are they larger in back? Also don't you just love the chrome center caps for the wheels!? I turned mine down to small domes that still held the decal and painted them black...

Looks like 195/45 proxes in front are they larger in back? Also don't you just love the chrome center caps for the wheels!? I turned mine down to small domes that still held the decal and painted them black...
The center caps, well lets say arent the best idea, but i will figure out something. I am thinking GM Torch red. I have used that color many times on vehicles that I have painted for customers in the past. I just like that shade of red.
I am running the 195 / 45's all the way around as tire rack had a special for 52.00 each just couldn't complain. If they seem too narrow i might get wider ones next time. I do not figure they will last a long time as they are real soft. But thats what i want :)

as for wheel paint, im not complaining but the coating is very soft as the tire valve installation tool marked the rim. I will most likely powder coat them in the near future as a stone or bug will probably mark the wheels up. But again I love the style and an very happy with them

update! 5/30/17
The school year is over today was the last day of classes. The reason for the lack of any real progress was students taking exams and parts that were on order. I did receive
some new things!! Today I finished the front suspension. Had to order new nylocks and i ordered poly boots for the tie rod ends and ball joints.
IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

Hmmm not sure what to think. But My eye was sure focused on the two different bolts used to bolt the lower part of the strut to the bearing hub. I don't have any real thoughts on it but it caused a long pause in pondering.

Great looking project and seeing young people work on something that has no computers! that is a win/win!!

Hmmm not sure what to think. But My eye was sure focused on the two different bolts used to bolt the lower part of the strut to the bearing hub. I don't have any real thoughts on it but it caused a long pause in pondering.

Great looking project and seeing young people work on something that has no computers! that is a win/win!!

Camber adjusting bolt I would think on the upper.

I was thinking that too but don't see any fixed "ears" for the washer to sit against. Yet.

I always enjoy seeing these renewed assemblies and wonder at my Pavlovian drool reflex. Maybe I'm thinking about eating a meal off such clean stuff?

Back