Scorpion # 253 project

the pictures dont show it, but there is an ear for the camber bolt to push against. Personally I would like to see an ear on the other side too. I assume that the car will want to push towards negative camber so the bolt will only have to push against the back stop. But as a suggestion for the fabricator. It would be a nice upgrade in the future. And obviously yes that is the reason for the 2 different bolts. I have allen bolts ordered to replace the original bolt which will be black oxide finish to match the camber bolt. Fastenal hasn't delivered them yet. The real funny thing is that this is all a trial fit for the summer. Once i get the suspension sorted out and everything in order, and the engine built, the whole car will come back apart for paint and interior. that may be right before the divorce.....

a few new things arrived today.
IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

ordered the under drive size. i will try this first. If i have overheating issues i will go to full size.

ok, been a while. School is almost back in session and I am now back to my shop

Here are the build plans for the scorpion engine. The other progress will not stop. i intend to drive it with the current engine while I build the new one.

Head:
42.5mm intake valves stainless, Big stainless exhaust valves. New larger seats installed. I have not chosen the head I want to use yet. I have a few options I am exploring.
Triple valve springs.
Bronze guides
Ported and polished with the port roofs raised as much as possible.
I am using a mix of camshafts 10.60 lift 42/82 on exhaust, from a efi lancia grind with camshaft end drive distributor, the intake is a more radical full race grind 48 / 67 11.35 lift should set lobe centers around 102

Intake:
either 2 x 42dcnf, already have, but i have a 45 dcoe manifold so i might go there.
fabricated and insulated cold air box with outside air intake
Manifold ported and port matched

Ignition:
Lancia efi distributor firing a msd 6al box and coil
proper racing msd plug wires. unsure if i am going solid core or not, I do not plan on having a radio

Exhaust:
equal length header (coated) with a custom built 2 1/2" exhaust system, original intentions is to use a flow master 2 or 3 chamber muffler with dual 2 1/2" outlets. non catalyst

Bottom end:
10.8-1 pistons or 9.8-1 pistons. have both just havent made the decision yet. I may use the 10.8 with a small milling of the dome. Just depends after mock up what the quench area is. I will calculate the actual compression ratio after the head work is done. The more dome the more i can open up the area around the valve, but not too much to loose the quench area.
total seal rings . Low tension, if i cannot find what i want i may have custom pistons made to fit my application.
balanced rotating assembly. with aluminum flywheel and front pulley
Custom windage tray and crank scraper
Aluminum custom dry sump oil pan. (still developing, but first mock up is real soon)
Dry sump lubrication, heck I have the parts why not. (still working on crankshaft drive but that is easy)

Accessories:
custom billet mounting system for the dry sump pump, a/c compressor (converting to sanden style, heck its hot here in fla) and alternator (will adapt a mitsubishi 105amp unit i already have)
gear reduction starter
silicone cooling system hoses, already have aluminum radiator
will use aeroquip style hoses everywhere possible.
oil cooler with fan and thermostat actuating
wide band o2 to monitor tune
custom aluminum overflow tank.

This list will be ever changing and expanding. I have 90% of these items already just awaiting the dry build and finish. The target is 150-160 hp should be attainable, Might make more hopefully. I am willing to sacrifice some drive-ability for the outcome. I am old and this is just something i want / always wanted. I now have the means to see this to fruition. my next scorpion project will be even more wild than this. It has also begun, but i am only saying a few things about it as of yet. Just imagine a real 300 + hp in a scorpion......chassis # 80 will get that

Last edited:
Made a deal today to pick up 2 parts cars. I will post pictures after I get them. What can go wrong in having 2 more scorpions. This will bring my total to 6 on hand and 2 parted out and gone...but not forgotten....

Made a deal today to pick up 2 parts cars. I will post pictures after I get them. What can go wrong in having 2 more scorpions. This will bring my total to 6 on hand and 2 parted out and gone...but not forgotten....

When you say things like this it makes it hard to like you. Let me know when its time to cull the herd. :D

Do Scorpions herd?

300hp what could go wrong? Hold my beer...

Scorpion# 838 , or whats left of it made the trek home today. and yes I took a picture in the same place as the nice one I started this thread with...
IMG_4186.JPG

OOF! Some people and time have little respect for these beauties. I'm thankful to have what I have to work with. What is it about lichen and these cars?!
IMG_0435.JPG

Out of curiosity what is the going rate for cars in this condition?

A friend of mine has one in similar condition (at best) who is looking for guidance on what to ask for it. Any pointers?

His car needs new floors and a new hood but much of the rest of the car is complete with plenty of parts. Originally a Florida car but left to weather for many years.

Thanks

Karl

I paid $200 for mine, in relatively the same condition as your friend's.

Thank you for the info, I will pass it on to him. He has a couple of folks interested from Lancisti and doesn't know how much to ask for.

I would love to grab it since its 15 miles away but I don't have any room for any more cars (we have 4 Fiats, a VW, a Toyota and a Miata) and someone would likely have a bit of a fit. Somewhat understandably. Somewhat.

we found a brown scorpion, in the scorpion today. Thankfully no one was stung. I am paying too much for the 2 I am getting but I also got a EFI lancia 2.0 thrown in. Again what are parts worth when they dont make them anymore.

Indeed, I consider myself lucky to have gotten a ludicrous deal on my project. Wish I could take all the orphans in.

ok, updates are abound.

First, the kids have been taking apart the first parts car.

Reducing a car into parts!

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG
IMG_4419.JPG

This is where the car is right now. I am contemplating taking the whole car apart before driving and redoing everything prior to driving the car again.
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG

Your work looks fantastic. I envy your skills, facilities & time. Having read your whole thread, I know that you've already got a completely disassembled Scorpion. Would having two mean progress? Aside from the battery tray, it looks like you've finished the important parts.

While fully recognizing that you're ten times the mechanic I am, I' humbly say stay your course & forge ahead to body & paint. Either way, I'm really enjoying watching what you're doing, and I'd love to know the specifics of what-all you've done with your cylinder head.
Thanks for the update!

Your work looks fantastic. I envy your skills, facilities & time. Having read your whole thread, I know that you've already got a completely disassembled Scorpion. Would having two mean progress? Aside from the battery tray, it looks like you've finished the important parts.

While fully recognizing that you're ten times the mechanic I am, I' humbly say stay your course & forge ahead to body & paint. Either way, I'm really enjoying watching what you're doing, and I'd love to know the specifics of what-all you've done with your cylinder head.
Thanks for the update!

here is my conundrum;

first,

having gotten to where I am with this car and I see the things I want to do and where I would like the car to end up I keep thinking. Do I want to completely disassemble the car and restore this car to 90% because this car will never be a 100-point car? Now thinking about that, will I ever actually finish the project? that seems to be my issue when it comes to long term projects. The term never ends. I do have the time, it’s just real spread out especially during football season as I am a Head coach. My thoughts are to make it run, then go into phase 2 where I do the under-hood work and replace the engine. As the engine that is in it runs fine, just 80hp. then after under the hood is done I will take the entire car apart and paint and body work and upholstery. by then all the sub-assemblies will be rebuilt and refreshed so it will be an easy dissemble and reassemble process after paint.

second,

having more than 1 disassembled scorpion is it good or bad? Well it’s kind of like this. I have 3 dissembled scorpions at this point. I have 2 more parts cars that I intend to take apart and scrap. this serves a 2-fold purpose. It reduces the rat-infested carcass in my yard and it gives the kids at school something to do. The kids really love taking these cars apart. There are incredible teaching moments during all this work. They get to learn what the parts are, how they fit, how to use tools, order of assembly and the next project they are going to lay out the wiring harness and hook up each circuit and make them work independently of the car. They will use wiring diagrams and test lights and meters to trace and verify their results.

third,

the battery tray, I plan on using my white car for a pattern to remake a correct battery tray floor and front piece. How the white car made it through life 100% rust free is beyond me. That will happen in the near future. I am also working on a front bumper assembly to replace the aluminum one and the fiberglass aftermarket one I have.

The Cylinder head: details soon!

The conundrum is what size bull whip you need to get the minions to work harder! :D:eek:

Kidding aside the teaching/learning process is incredibly profound. When you experience the moments of student apprehension of abstract concepts into reality makes the long process so worthwhile. I taught a film making class for a couple of years and had some of those valuable moments. Car-wise I am in the same boat as you. Make it road-worthy and drive it or spend the considerably magnified effort/time for what seems to be the diminishing returns of making it "right"...

I'll probably land somewheres in betwixt.

Back