Scorpion # 253 project

Discussion in 'X1/20 Forum' started by BEEK, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

My goal is 160hp from a 2.0
    i am using 42dcnf's, I am using a mix of camshafts 10.60 lift 42/82 on exhaust, from a efi lancia grind with camshaft end drive distributor, the intake is a more radical full race grind 48 / 67 11.35 lift should set lobe centers around 102, If you look at the exposed valve guide you can see how far I have moved the port roof. Better angles. at this point "10.8-1" pistons. Custom exhaust system. I will post as things happen. Oil control will be a major issue for me. I want to get free horsepower through oil control. As I actually assemble the engine I will post detailed specifications and pictures. Should be real soon

2. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

IMG_5130.JPG

Dry sump pump mounted. I looked at many configurations, This seemed best. I used a mitsubishi tensioner for the belt. I am having a custom crank pulley made. Now to tackle the alternator drive. I am also using a 120A mitsubishi alternator. Mainly because I already have it.

3. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

worked today on the alternator mounting. Cracked the front alternator case, So I will have to powdercoat another one..Oh well. I also made the phenolic spacer for the intake, below the carbs, to help redirect any heat.
    IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5150.JPG IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

motoTrooper likes this.
  4. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

worked more in the intake today. Finished phenolic plate. added 2 heat shields, to further protect the carbs from unwanted heat. I am going to install gold foil to the back side of the aluminum shields too. Also started working on the motor mounts and powdercoated a few other things. Built the carbs. I am ordering bigger "35mm chokes" have 32mm now. Also installed 2 grosse jets that i have had for years into the carbs. A much better way to control as opposed to needle and seat.

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

motoTrooper likes this.
  5. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

today i just powdercoated a new set of valve covers!. wonder what is missing? IMG_5214.JPG

motoTrooper likes this.
  6. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

Great shade of red there.

7. Pete Whitstone

Pete Whitstone True Classic

One mans opinion: Taking an abrasive to the Lancia script and letting it shine in polished aluminum is what is missing. ;)

Pete

autox19 likes this.
  8. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

well yes, i just havent gotten to that part :) but there is no oil cap. Thats what I was referring to..... dry sump tank for filler...

Pete Whitstone likes this.
  9. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

all back apart!. The engine block is at the machine shop being bored. I am supposed to get it back by next friday. So when spring break is over i can trial assemble the block before balancing. I still have to decide on the front crank pulley and belt locations. Most likely I am having to get one made. Also I spoke with someone today about building a custom stainless header. I hope it will be within my budget.

motoTrooper likes this.
  10. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

IMG_5244 (1).JPG
    oil system diagram

NM850 likes this.
  11. DeadScorpion

DeadScorpion Daily Driver

Awesome!!!!

12. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

block is bored. Spent 16 hours deburring and grinding and smoothing the inside of the block. Better oil drain back IMG_5269.JPG IMG_5270.JPG IMG_5271.JPG

rjplenter and motoTrooper like this.
  13. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

Are you gonna go whole Jafromobile (Youtuber) and glyptal the innards too?! Great detail work BTW!

Brayden_connolly likes this.
  14. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

glyptal, darn I could not find my quart. I have used it in the past usually on a un polished block , I have used it on my v8 race engines too.. But no, not here, except for the alternator winding's, The purpose it was actually made for

15. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

more progress made yesterday. IMG_5281.JPG
    pressed the water pump flange to the same spec as the fiat pump. This way I can use the fiat crank pulley
    IMG_5280.JPG
    Made a crankshaft pointer.
    IMG_5284.JPG
    New valve spring and titanium retainers.
    IMG_5285.JPG

original retainer 20 grams IMG_5286.JPG

Titanium retainer 11 grams, savings of 9 grams

IMG_5302.JPG

Stock intake valve 90 grams

IMG_5298.JPG

Swirl polished stainless valve 83 grams , savings of 7 grams, total 16 grams at the intake valve saved.
    6 grams saved at the exhaust valve, for a total of 15. Now come the shims
    a 3,25 shim weighs 22 grams, a 4.65 weighs 31. there is a 9 gram difference there. I will mill the cam boxes down to keep my shims under 3.00
    IMG_5297.JPG
    3 angle valve job on the seats, I then hand lapped in all the valves and assembled.
    IMG_5303.JPG IMG_5304.JPG

rjplenter likes this.
  16. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

have now began to get the cams and housings ready. IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

next week the dry sump drive will be here, the rings should be here by end of the week. I ordered special low tension and gapless rings from Total seal. I will mock up the bottom end and degree the cams in. Assemble to make sure the clearances are correct. Then i will send the rotating assembly out for balancing
    IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG IMG_5296.JPG

3.602 lbs saved at the crank pulley, 12 pounds saved at the flywheel. I dont have my pressure plate yet but i will bet it is 3 pounds lighter than stock

17. fiatfactory

fiatfactory Steve Cecchele

What brand / part number are these? what was original application?

SteveC

18. BEEK

BEEK True Classic

Supertech
    spr-v1107 springs
    ret-026 retainer

VW 1.8/2.0 8V 8mm stem

19. There is much to be gained by lightening the valve train. :)

20. Me likey!!!