Scorpion # 253 project

here are a few more mock up pictures. I am trying to decide if i want to powdercoat the plate covering the valley red or leave it natural. The -12 fitting on the back of the head is for heater hose
IMG_6593.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG
IMG_6595.JPG
IMG_6597.JPG
IMG_6601.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG

bare alluminium will become dull due oxidation, i would have it clear anodized instead of power coated..

is that fancy oil pump a dry sump conversion?

bare alluminium will become dull due oxidation, i would have it clear anodized instead of power coated..

is that fancy oil pump a dry sump conversion?
Yes. That is a 3 stage dry sump pump. I have the ability to powder coat. I can’t anodize. But as raw aluminum I figured I could always steel wool it and keep a mat finish. Still not sure

I have the ability to powder coat. I can’t anodize. But as raw aluminum I figured I could always steel wool it and keep a mat finish. Still not sure

If you do home powdercoating, you might look into home anodizing. I checked into it a few years ago, it was pretty simple, some RIT dye, a few coolers, some sacrificial raw metals, and a battery charger.

Pete

If you do home powdercoating, you might look into home anodizing. I checked into it a few years ago, it was pretty simple, some RIT dye, a few coolers, some sacrificial raw metals, and a battery charger.

Pete
my powdercoating setup is not really home style, I have a 1200.00 powder coating gun and power supply and a large oven, was originally set up for cylinder head straightening. can do 600 degrees in 5 minutes. I have my stuff at the school.
The pictures will show you some of my capabilities. Not real big but works well. I am working on a 6' stand up oven. I will look into anodizing though sounds fun.
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5620.JPG
IMG_5834.JPG

just a small update. been working on plug wire organization and heater hose outlet. i probably will run a heater to demist the windshield and provide some warmth to the cockpit. I am not sure what exactly i am going to do. my biggest conundrum is what exactly i am going to do in the interior. Will i leave it stock"ish" or race car inspired minimalistic. Comments welcome.

IMG_6728.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG

If your biggest conundrum is the car's interior, that seems a privileged place to be. That's enviable, and a credit to you & your skills.

As for a stock-ish interior vs. race car inspired, I offer the third option of sports car inspired. You might have seen the seats I got for mine, they were cheap and fit really well. I really like the stock seats, but they're expensive to restore and they're heavy. I'm a fan of vintage sports seats as a non-stock alternative.

Vintage style sports/rally seats would look very right with a Momo Prototipo wheel & a set of Cocoa mats for the floors. My Momo wheel has been on back order forever, I look forward to fitting it. Cocomats.com said they'd make me some mats for my car using a template made from my factory floor mats. Gotta wait till I'm not dead broke...

The color change I did to my car's interior was pretty straight forward, and is holding up well. It was time consuming but I like the results and it was affordable. The factory blue or red interiors that many of the US cars got can look pretty shabby if not in pristine condition to begin with. A radio blanking plate is easily made if you don't have the factory one, it adds to the sports car vibe. For just a bit of a race car look, a suede leather Momo Prototipo would be pretty cool.

My inspiration for my interior came from the vintage Porsche 911s that I've seen at shows & online. Not stock, but not stripped down either. I think a well-composed interior separates a car from a toy, and makes it sensible/approachable to jump into on a Tuesday morning and head in to work. A stripped-out street weapon with a 5-point harness, not so much. Speaking for myself, I live in a world of office-casual attire and 4th floor underground parking. A car that supports these realities makes sense for me. I wish I were an action figure, but I'm 45 and I'm just not...

Our car's interiors come from an awkward transition period between 60's classic sports cars and 80's excess. Accessories can help bridge the gap toward either period without throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'm going with a more 60's-70's look, but 80's vintage Recaro seats look awesome with 80's accessories like a Euro spec Montecarlo digital clock and an Alpine cassette player. I love car interiors and I can't wait to post more progress on mine when it happens.

been working on little details to the engine. trying to finish the "dry build" fitting alternator, custom belts and such. oh yea teaching too....lol Certified 80 of 90 students in ASE brakes this year. new district record! within a week or 2 should be back in the engine compartment removing the old engine

Congrats on being a great teacher. In much of the teaching world it is hard to know you are making a difference and difficult to maintain enthusiasm in the face of teaching to a set of standardized tests.

small update..car is now on the lift. pulling the engine and trans. Getting ready for under hood paint

Curious about your underhood paint plan. My car was resprayed black but the engine bay is the original gold still. Thinking about doing a satin/low-gloss black engine bay paint job while the engine/trans are out, even though I may change the body color down the line.

pulled the old engine. I am contemplating the under hood color right now.
either race car grey or red
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7033.JPG
IMG_7034.JPG

My opinion. I personally prefer that the engine bay match the exterior color.

I am not a fan of the black hole of Calcutta look when people make them all black. The tricolor trunk paint look is too American trunk for me.

Do as you will, it will be great.

In regards to the interior of the car, I like cars that look like the car they are, I appreciate modifications that improve the interior such as period correct seats that respond to the way the car the is actually used. If you intend to drive it long distances, like to FreakOut, a regular interior with creature comforts isn’t going to reduce the mechanical enjoyment of the car nor reduce the actual performance of the car. Being able to spend hour on hour in relative comfort while enjoying your car is the point of this excercise.

Doing it to the same high level of quality you apply to the rest of your work will be what people appreciate, regardless of what direction you choose.

Looks like a decent core. I'm surprised at how many of these Scorpion motors went unmodified, as they just beg for upgrades. I'm only seeing an oil filler cap and a standard Beta exhaust cam cover up for non-standard items. I suppose it was also de-smog'd.

The original POR-15 grey would be a smart choice for what you described. I've thinned it and applied it with a Pre-Val sprayer with very nice results.

Back